The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brakes for older EZ Loader trailer for a C-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Brakes for older EZ Loader trailer for a C-22 Reply with quote

I have an older EZ Loader single axle (5200 lb. axle, based on the number stamped on the bearings) trailer that did not come with brakes. I've read all the posts in regard to brakes and I've settled on a UFP hydraulic disk system with a surge acutator. The trailer has an assigned serial number, not an original. From searching the web and also going by the age of our C-22, it appears that this trailer is from around 1990.

It has the welded 1/4" steel flanges for brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has put modern brakes on a trailer of this age I'm concerned about the alignment of the calipers to the disks. Eastern Marine has everything I need in stock, but they suggest that I contact EZ Loader to be sure. I cannot get EZ Loader on the phone or get e-mail responses from them--sort of long-term OTL.

Thanks for your help.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken O,
Much like the C-Dory itself, there are few "parts" on the boat that are actually made by C-Dory, aside from the hull, deck and joinery.
I have had several EZ-Loader trailers from that vintage and have had dozens more over the years from many manufacturers. The trailer manufacturer's, build the frames, axles and fenders, then buys the brakes, actuators, brake-lines, lights, and wiring from a separate vendor. Sometimes they get their axles and fenders from other venders...
You can buy brand name brake components from many vendors on line and most of them are competent enough to assist you in your selection of components. With the information that you already have in from of you (wheel size, backing plate size, trailer length, from front to axle and trailer tongue box member size, you can make the correct decisions.
As a side note, my 22 came with drum brakes and an actuator that did not work. I purchased all of the components online and went to disc brakes and it was absolutely easy. The hard part was getting the old drum assemblies off of the backing plate, but penetrating fluid and an impact wrench made quick work out of it...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Ken O

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, that helps a lot. Eastern Marine was pretty sure their UFP brakes would fit, I think they were just being careful. I'll bet it is a Dexter axle. Anyway, think I'll go ahead and order. Thanks for your help and the speedy reply.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are in Montana! I put electric over hydraulic on and ripped my surge actuator off last year. Makes downhill runs much more comfortable. The boat launch seems like the flattest ground around here sometimes. (I exaggerate of course) but Have you ever backed uphill with surge brakes and had them lock up? Or had to accelerate downhill to free them? I know many like the simplicity of hydraulic surge, but full manual electronic control on a long grade trumps any other aspect of braking in my book. Well , that and engine braking. Ok mostly engine braking. 😂 Just curious how you settled on surge brakes over full electric?
Ken O

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as why surge brakes instead of full EOH, the answer is basically cost and need. We keep the boat fairly light, and with a van for a tow vehicle, which has pretty good weight distribution, we can hardly tell that the trailer is there at all.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really bugs me that some dealer sent a CD 22 out the door on a trailer without brakes at some point in time! I'm not surprised though in the least. Measure them to be sure, but the square flanges on the axle are there for the brakes and I think an industry standard size. As others have noted, this shouldn't be that hard, with the exception of getting the rusty crap all apart. A reputable trailer shop like the 6roblees or the one you're using will steer you in a good direction. As far as alignment of the caliper to the disk, I don't think you can even change that if you wanted - all the ones I have worked on are fixed and without adjustment. On a side note: I really hate boat trailers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: