The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cost for a camper back / Canvas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...so, here's another two cents worth. I bought a full morning cover and a cabin cover for my LITTLE 16'er from King Marine. Dave was great to work with, he new the boat and the canvas is perfect in all aspects, so far.
Total for both was 1600. But, that's a 16'er. Very good quality....as is the boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add one item and that is when stowing clear vinly be sure and make sheaths for it to be stored in. We use terry cloth or old sheets. Also when rolling up clear vinly, put old sheet material on the inside as you roll it--you might consider putting snaps on the top of the sheet, and snap to the roll strap "inside" position--

When I got 4 quotes for the TC 255 they ranged from 2500 to 4500, for exactly the same spec material. I always say what I want very specifically from the guage of the SS tubings, to the type of snaps, the brand and size of zippers, the type of Sumbrella (there is plain, there is the coating on the inside and there is the plastic callandered on the inside--plus Glen Raven Mills makes a cheaper material which occasionally is substituded for Sunbrella. Avoid any of the imitations of Sunbrella. Some folks do prefer a vinly material for the top--we don't. We have had both Bimini's and covers last up to 10 years--with resewing and renew of the vinly. Stratoglass is one of the best of the vinlys. We never get less than 30 mil--and usually go with 40 mil clear vinly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ben

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Ben (Name-TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. After hearing about the maintenance and cost of a camper back, I think that a mooring cover will suit my needs and pocketbook better.

BTW, I just got off the boat after spending the night in Annapolis and exploring the Severn river this morning. It is great to stay toasty warm and dry while out exploring the bay at this time of year. Most of the other boaters looked so cold and forlorn in the cold wind and chop. I hope the rest of you are able to still get out and enjoy the water. Ben
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who has, in the past, tried to save money by putting tarps and other, loose-fitting winter covers on boats, I would advise great care.

Wind, dust, and a slightly loose fit may cause the tarp/cover to 'flutter' on your rails or gelcoat. Over the winter, this could easily damage the gelgoat and possibly wear right through it. I have not been able to avoid this when the tarp touches any critical areas.

John
JonO

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tremolo
Photos: JonO
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Nick - source for your camper back? Reply with quote

Hi Nick/"Valkyrie,"

I dug up this thread while investigating Biminis, Camper Backs and other coverings. Your solution looks really, really nice and roomy. Who did that for you and do you think they still have the patterns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: