thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to switch props for each load. (I do it for different altitudes however). I would probably want to be closer to you 6,000 with the light load, because you are not going to hit the 5500 with a heavy load.

I have found with my boats, when I start a trip heavy, I can make about the 5400, and then as the load lightens (less fuel and water, less supplies) the WOT will start to creep up. You don't want to go too low a pitch, then you will be running higher RPM for just normal cruising.

Different props have different amount of cup and rake--things that we normally don't think about. But they can make as much difference as an inch of pitch.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob noted what I tried to comment on earlier, but said it with the details. I really think a prop shop can make the props you have work on your boat with some help - you're that close.
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciate your recommendations.

We just returned from 3 nights camping in the Apostle Islands Natl Lakeshore. Thanks to the previous owner, there is a set of back up props I installed and tested. Was loaded with a tank and a half of fuel, food/gear for a weekend and 2 people. The backup props are also Honda OEM aluminum 3-blade, stamped 11.6 x 11 HQ (replacing 11.1 x 13 HQ).

The 1st day I got these results calm conditions:
rpm speed, mph
1600 4.8
2100 6.2 mph
4100 12.2 mph
5900 21.1 mph at WOT

To compare; cruising speed went down from 23 mph at 5400 rpm (with the 13 pitch) to 17-18 mph at 5400 rpm (with the 11 pitch).

As Bob noted, returning with 1/2 tank less fuel and 5 gal less water, the speeds were 1+ mph quicker, even with the chop (the fish weight was insignificant, apparently).

I do have permatrims and trim tabs and use the permatrims a lot on Lake Superior's chop, but have no experience with 4-blades or other props.

For longer trips, we will be heavier, but it seems these 11 pitch props would work with a heavier load. I am thinking that to track down other solutions - should be some propeller experts in the Duluth MN/Superior WI area west of here. Don't know if Jay on C-Green has a shop recommendation in the UP?

Thanks again for your assistance.
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the recommendations. After testing my 11x13 vs 11x11 3-blade Honda props, I decided to follow Jay's lead/advice and tested Solas Amita 11.1x11 4-blade propellers today.

Day started quiet so got some comparable flat water results. Then 20+ knot winds, gusting to 30 moved the needle from 1-3 ft building to 2-4 ft waves. Even with full fuel and water tanks, the boat moved quickly/smoothly to a slow speed plane, while still moving/holding the bow down into the wind/waves.

Also, I noticed the dual motor's rpms matched more closely to each other than with my 3 blades. Perhaps, just because they are new.

Really appreciate all your help. The boat is now running the best since we got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: