The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gunnel side storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodesmj

City/Region: Hudson
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Creek Runner
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Gunnel side storage Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the plastic storage compartment located in the side of the gunnel? I thought I could just unscrew it but it seems to have been caulked in place with some sort of gasket.
Any ideas on replacement?

jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did mine
Search topic : 25 cruiser rear deck shelves. There is photos on page 2 and name of door manufacturer on page 1
Very happy
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gunnel side storage Reply with quote

Rhodesmj wrote:
Has anyone replaced the plastic storage compartment located in the side of the gunnel? I thought I could just unscrew it but it seems to have been caulked in place with some sort of gasket.
Any ideas on replacement?

Just a friendly correction. It is pronounced "gunnel" but spelled "gunwale"!

gun•wale gŭn′əl►
n. The upper edge of the side of a vessel.
n. Nautical, the upper edge of a ship's side; the uppermost wale of a ship, or that piece of timber which reaches on either side from the quarterdeck to the forecastle, being the uppermost bend which finishes the upper works of the hull.
n. The upper edge of a vessel's or boat's side; the uppermost wale of a ship (not including the bulwarks); or that piece of timber which reaches on either side from the quarter-deck to the forecastle, being the uppermost bend, which finishes the upper works of the hull.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced one of mine recently. Prices may have gone up, but here is the pricing and contact at the factory I used:

The price for the box will be $175.00 each plus shipping all paid up front. I will get the shipping cost after it is all packaged and ready to go. We can put the vent in but you will have to install the socket and the sea rail. We don’t have that color of sea rail any more. We’ve changed to a stark white. If you have any more questions, please let me know.
Thank you,
Tom Anderson
Northwest Marine Industries
809 Harris Ave. Building 6
Bellingham, Wa. 98225
(360)386-5351

In my case, there was caulking behind the rounded edges that I cut to remove. The new builds are not caulked in anymore, but they run a weather stripping of sorts around it. I asked them to include that with my new unit. When I pulled the other side off, I was able to keep from cracking any of the screw holes so was able to reuse it. I cleaned all the caulk off and just found some appropriate weather stripping to place when I reinstalled it. The socket Tom referenced was the 12 vt accessory socket. The sea rail is that "wall-like" piece that runs along the bottom of the side box.

Oh, BTW, Gunnel or Gunwale is used interchangeably. Either spelling is correct. Wink Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: