Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Webasto under the galley this winter and have used it for about 6 nights so far this spring and am very happy with it. It uses very little fuel and does not drain the house if it is on all night. It does a good job maintaining a set temperature. I ran two vents out to the rear bulkhead so we can heat the cockpit with the canvas deployed or partially deployed and this works great too. I routed one hose under the shower to the rear bulkhead. An unintended consequence if this was that now I have a heated shower floor when it is running! Haha. The timer function is very handy too. All good so far.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in the market for a new heat solution since our Wallas took a dump again and I'm finally tired of messing with it.

I talked to a couple of full time houseboat folks on the St John river on our spring trip, and seemed the trend is installing these inexpensive Chinese cab heaters on Amazon. Apparently the one to get is not the one that looks like the espar or webesto, but the ones built inside a box that looks like a small desktop computer. It's easier to mount and get set up is what I was told. 1000s of hours these folks are putting on these without much trouble.

The price is definitely right, and much of the installation process for me is already done with the exhaust routed and battery wiring from the old Wallace I'll remove. I plan to get one ordered and install before next winter. Great cruising with perfect daytime temps in winter where we live, but cold nights. Wallace trouble ruined a good thing this last winter for us.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that is basically a Webesto heater in a box. Primary difference is the control method.

Amazon has a bunch of them (just a few samples):

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Control-Parking-Silencer-Broadcast/dp/B07YNDBZ2T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3B16QT5E02642&dchild=1&keywords=diesel+heater+12v&qid=1623341978&sprefix=diesel+heater%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Parking-Control-Heating-Motorhomes/dp/B08W4WM5SS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3B16QT5E02642&dchild=1&keywords=diesel+heater+12v&qid=1623341978&sprefix=diesel+heater%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/IMAYCC-Diesel-Heater-Control-Caravan/dp/B08NX1C6BM/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3B16QT5E02642&dchild=1&keywords=diesel+heater+12v&qid=1623341978&sprefix=diesel+heater%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-11

There is a Facebook group for Chinese heaters. One thing I read is that the muffler may not be air tight. You need to get a different one or have the one you get welded up completely.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Seems that is basically a Webesto heater in a box. Primary difference is the control method.

There is a Facebook group for Chinese heaters. One thing I read is that the muffler may not be air tight. You need to get a different one or have the one you get welded up completely.

Yes those are the ones. I spent so much money and time purchasing and installing our used Wallas pulled from another boat, and had tons of issues with it..... how bad could one of these $150 units be? I may end up just getting a espar or wabesto unit, but if I do bite the bullet and install one of these, i'll write up something for the brats here on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: