The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cdory 16 Repower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCRAIG

City/Region: Atkinson
State or Province: NH
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Cdory 16 Repower Reply with quote

Looking to re-power my 16 angler. Considering a new Yamaha 70. Looking for some feedback on this. It currently has a Honda 50. Not sure if the 70 will be too much. Thanks
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Is there such a thing as too much? Reply with quote

Well now when it comes to real Bar-B-Q and donuts, a man has no real limits other than when his wife says "That's enough XXXXXXX!". We have lots of posts about Manufacturer Boat labels and the like. Seems like the 16 runs fine on a 50 or even a 40. Perhaps a weigh in of the boat all up, consideration of the transom load of different motors, the distribution of fixed items and pax, the mission of the boat itself, the cost of a new motor/re-rigging, the availability of certain products, the fact that many motors are built on the same block and so it is just how they are tuned that produces claims of HP, the type of HP you want (torque vs hole shot vs fuel efficiency vs top end speed vs service life vs service intervals vs can you get the same result of a bigger motor with a proper Permatrim and/or Bennett Trim Tabs cs ETC ETC). Last but not least is re-sale value, some decisions pay off and others do not. Looking forward to you next post "I have decided to go for ??? HP, what brand of motor should I buy?"
Bob Jarrard
PS: Waiting for Doctor Bob to post, then I can rest my typing fingers. BJ
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the 70 hp is a bit more than you need. But in Yamaha the 50, 60 and 70 are all on the same block, with a weight in the 250# arena. The Honda 50 and the Yahama 40 are in the 210# arena. Not a lot of difference.

I believe the 16 was designed around the 40 to 50 hp engines. These are not bass boats, where 200 hp is put on a 16 foot boat, to achieve speeds of 70 mph...They get a little squirrely at higher speeds.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JCRAIG

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the feedback. I have a 50 now and not looking to go less hp. I’m not looking for a speed boat either. Just looking to make the right choice. Outboards are tough to get right now and I can pick up a new Yamaha 70 for a good price. They don’t have any 50s or even a 40 in stock. I know the price point is not a significant jump. Boats only rated for 55hp according to the tag.
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: I have a new Yamaha 50 on my 16 cruiser Reply with quote

I know they weigh the same. The 50 has more than enough power unless it is glass smooth I can't really open it up all the way. Boat cruises nicely at about 4800 RPM 25 knts.
1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: 200 is not 250!! Reply with quote

I agree with Doctor Bob that 50 pounds is not a game killer but add a generator or a second six gallon tank (65 pounds each), two or three batteries, a couple of Scotty electrics, bilge water, and two guys fishing off the stern and it matters if your outboard at the end of the fulcrum point is 200 or 250 pounds.
The Honda and the Tohatsu are right at 200 pounds in the 50 HP size. Some have changed the graphics on their motors if they are over label.
70 HP light weight two stroke was the motor of choice for the early C-22's, that is a lot of power on the stern of a fairly light 16' skiff with flat sections in the stern.
Good hunting on the motor.
Bob
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>They get a little squirrely at higher speeds<
>unless it is glass smooth I can't really open it up all the way<

At 25kn and above on glassy water all is well. But in only takes going over a slight wake to jerk the bow to one side. With no keel, it feels like hitting a moose. Not good. You'll probably never go back to WOT, so what's the point? (There was a YouTube video circulating for awhile showing people going stupid fast and encountering some severe bow steer from hitting a wake. A classic "Yoo hoo, look at me!" ending up in the ER.)

The most important issue with the 16 is lbs, not hp. A light 50 hp, like the Tohatsu at 209#, would be an interesting engine. That would take off 50# hanging off the back of my Yamaha F50 powered boat, the worst place for weight on the 16. Trim tabs aren't required for a properly balanced 16, and the Tohatsu would get most people there without even trying.

50 hp gets you wherever you want to go, but with no bragging rights. And it might be 6 knots slower on those rare occassions when 70 hp WOT appears safe. But if a 70 hp cost $8 more than a 50, I wouldn't do it. No need. I'm not even sure what the need for 70 hp might be. 12 people onboard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am going against the flow, but a F70 yamaha is a great solid engine that is light. It is nice to have more hp that is unneeded, so the engine can be used without taxing. On rare occasions the extra hp can be useful. If the larger hp engine is used judiacly, I see it as a reasonable choice. If common sense and good judgement are not used, it doesn’t matter how low of hp is on a boat.
JCRAIG

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. Was also worrying about resale and insurance issues with over-powering
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sold our CD 16 Angler Crabby Lou to Patty's sister and brother-in-law. They re-powered with a Tohatsu 40. I have been out with them in it, trust me, the Tohatsu 40 can make the CD 16 Angler go as fast as it is safe to go. A 70 seems to me to be way overkill.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: