View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel filter/ water separator Reply with quote

My new-to-me boat came with a big Racor-type (I think it's a copy-cat) primary filter/water separator. It looks like a Racor 320R-Rac-01, which is rated at 60 GPH. My Honda 90 shouldn't drink more than 10 GPH wide open. Anyway, I need to replace the plastic bowl, which fell off in the hot sun the other day and leaks badly (threads slip before they get tight). The bowl has been hard to find, and a whole new assembly is around $100, plus I need to change to 1/4" NPT fittings.

I'm wondering what other people running motors around 90 HP are using? Is there an advantage to such a big filter? Defender sells a Honda OEM primary filter and water separator rated at 25 GPH for $75. Either way they are all 10 micron. As long as parts are available, maybe I should go with the Honda. What are people using and with what results?

Thanks!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-Replacement-Gasoline-Filters-Outboard/dp/B000N9L13S/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=racor&qid=1621728381&sr=8-6

$54 for the filter and the glass

\

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh most are the same size thread just different size filters. Size does not really matter , well in this case.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-Replacement-Collection-Bowl-320R-RAC-01/dp/B000XBKPJM/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=racor&qid=1621728477&sr=8-45

Just the glass for 43
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ten
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

share with your friends for 43
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with a racor s3240. I was actually going to post on here tonight to see what everyone else uses. I want to replace mine to see if it's the cause of my motor bogging down. It's not on stock anywhere so I'm wondering if I can replace with something similar.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want to know is what do you do to these things to allow you to take them apart. I have tried a lot of the suggestions on this forum and other websites and have come to the conclusion that it is less hassle to just replace the whole filter assembly (mount, filter, bowl) than try to get it apart to replace the element each time it is due.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
What I really want to know is what do you do to these things to allow you to take them apart. I have tried a lot of the suggestions on this forum and other websites and have come to the conclusion that it is less hassle to just replace the whole filter assembly (mount, filter, bowl) than try to get it apart to replace the element each time it is due.

Put clean oil on Both "O" rings while assembling ?? Or Eat your Wheaties?
Been using the same Parker/Racor filters for 50 years(currently S3227 is the parker # I use) the bowls are available separately either Alu. or Lexan. Good luck.
https://www.parker.com/Literature/Racor/Service/EB00033_Marine_Gasoline_Spin-on_Filters.pdf
Lexan bowl new part#
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize that the mount,filters and the bowl were so easily interchangeable.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
ssobol wrote:

Put clean oil on Both "O" rings while assembling ?? Or Eat your Wheaties?
Been using the same Parker/Racor filters for 50 years(currently S3227 is the parker # I use) the bowls are available separately either Alu. or Lexan. Good luck.
https://www.parker.com/Literature/Racor/Service/EB00033_Marine_Gasoline_Spin-on_Filters.pdf
Lexan bowl new part#

It is not a question of Wheaties, it's getting the thing apart without destroying it. Oil on the O-rings didn't work for me. Anti-seize compound and graphite didn't work either.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I change the filter on Journey On, I use a strap wrench to loosen the filter from the top. It comes off with the sediment bowl attached.

Now the fun begins. When one puts the bowl in a vise and tries to loosen the bowl from the filter (or vice versa), the filter joints start sliding where they are rolled together. So I cut the filter in half and work the bottom of the filter free from the o-ring, using a pair of slip joint pliers.

I've tried silicon grease and various other lubricants on that o-ring. They don't help. And has anybody seen a green o-ring?

Boris
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
When I change the filter on Journey On, I use a strap wrench to loosen the filter from the top. It comes off with the sediment bowl attached.

Now the fun begins. When one puts the bowl in a vise and tries to loosen the bowl from the filter (or vice versa), the filter joints start sliding where they are rolled together. So I cut the filter in half and work the bottom of the filter free from the o-ring, using a pair of slip joint pliers.

I've tried silicon grease and various other lubricants on that o-ring. They don't help. And has anybody seen a green o-ring?

Boris

I use a oil filter wrench to hold the filter element and a strap wrench to loosen the bowl, then remove the assy. & green "O" rings come with the newer Parker/Racor filters. At least in the S3227's I have bought in the last 8 or so years. (NAPA # is 3757) Thumbs Up Have a good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: