The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ethanol gas and Yamaha 50
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Sea Wolf Joe,
Quote:
"... Just a comment about E85. It's not 15% ethanol, but a variable mixture that can be from 51% to 83% ethanol, according to the source below: ...."

Joe, Thanks for that post. I didn't know that, and, like some others evidently, thought it was 15% "corn gas". Now I know to watch for that as I have seen it at some pumps Twisted Evil

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
We try to buy only ethanol free gas but it is like other commodities subject to availability and over priced

In all seriousness, very true. Getting harder and harder to located in the PNW and more and more expensive.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf Joe is exactly right... If the fuel you are buying is less than 10% ethanol the manufacturer does not need to tell you that it has ethanol in the fuel... It is only when the percentage goes above 10% that law requires they tell you..... so the fuel you are buying may have a ton of ethanol in it....changes the smell ....does not smell at all like gas anymore...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first experience with ethanol in gas was in 1998 when I first purchased my C-Dory, which was 11 years old at the time.

About 4 months into the ownership, I unknowingly filled up with ethanol containing gas on the way from the Bay Area to Eagle Lake, which is up by Susanville in the NE corner of the state (California).

About 3 days into the fishing trip. the 90 hp Evinrude 2-stroke motor started to cough and sputter, refusing to run much more than about 1500 rpm.

Upon returning to the Bay Area, I had the motor looked at by a local marine shop. About $600 later, I had all new fuel lines, cleaned fuel tanks, and rebuilt carburetors.

Seems the ethanol had broken loose all the accumulated varnish and other crud accumulated in the fuel system over the years.

A new common problem with the arrival of ethanol laced gasoline.

"The Price of Progress" ??? -HA! / NOT! / BS! Cry

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I solved my ethanol gas problem by virtually draining the tanks over our trip - about 39 hours on the motors, about 250 litres of fuel burned and about 390 km covered. I have just a tiny bit left in each tank, which will be well diluted by the next fill of good marine gas.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol is the perfect solvent.

In people*, it dissolves marriages, families, careers, hopes, dreams and more.

In older marine engines**, it dissolves rubber fuel hoses, O-rings, rubber
carburetor parts, old sludge in fuel tanks, plastic fuel separator bowls and more.

Aye.

*Grandpa used to say, "You can drink'em pretty, but you can't drink'em thin."

**Pre 1990 or so
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gas with 10% ethanol added seems to be the devil.

Just for the record, Journey On started out with straight gas in 2005 and then, surprise, all I could find at the gas station was 10% ethanol. So it's been 10 years of ethanol and other that a slight loss in mileage I have no problems. In addition the car and both trucks run ethanol with one a 63 Chevvy.

So I'm not sure what the fuss is about, IF THE VEHICLE IS DESIGNED FOR IT. Everything I run is built after 2005 and says "good for 10% ethanol". I'll let the boat and the Ford truck sit over the winter and they start right up. I do run STP Gas Treatment through one a year or so to get rid of any water, but I did that with straight gas too.

the '63 has been re-plumbed recently, so it's good for alcohol.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
.... So I'm not sure what the fuss is about, IF THE VEHICLE IS DESIGNED FOR IT. ...

I don't have any problem with E10 auto gas either. My boat usually sits over winter 4-5 months with about 1/4-1/2 a tank of gas left over from the previous season. Sometimes I put Sta-Bil in it, sometimes I forget. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. My engine is an '07 BF90D.

My car ('01) also sits for long periods (because of work travel). It may take 6 months or longer to use a tank of gas. Doesn't seem to cause any problems there either.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-10 works OK in cars, trucks and outboards that have fuel injection.

It's the carburetors that cause problems. If the fuel system is sealed (as it is with fuel injection) the E-10 does not evaporate.

If E-10 sits in a carb's float bowl and evaporates and absorbs moisture from the air, there can be really bad problems.

Since most boat fuel tanks are vented, the E-10 in the tank can absorb moisture from the air, the amount depends on temps and relative humidity at the storage location. Too much water in the E-10 causes 'phase separation' where the water and alcohol separate from the gasoline and sink to the bottom of the tank. If that is sucked into the engine, lots of problems ensue.

My advice for storage would be to use stabilizer in the gas and to run carb engines dry.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: corn syrup Reply with quote

Ethanol in gas left in a tank for a long time degrades into corn syrup and clogs the carburetors or fuel injectors. A year or two ago, my gummed up motor died on me at sea because I left ethanol gas in the motor over a year of non use. My mechanic tried to clean it and suggested I run it with fuel cleaner in the gas, and it might gradually improve. I added the carb cleaner to fresh best quality detergent gas and carried a can of spray starter. Never-the-less, I could not restart my motor at sea and had to be towed back to my marina.

It could have been a deadly misjudgment, trying the cheap solution my mechanic's suggested. I was crossing from Marina del Rey to Catalina and became disabled just past the shipping lanes, but wind blew me back into them. My two hour wait for a tow probably took ten years off my life. I was lucky it was a Sunday and there was no ship traffic. I am embarrassed to disclose such stupidity on my part, but humble myself to you all to offer my mistake as a lesson, maybe a life saving lesson.

I ended up paying $780 in Los Angeles to have my single Yamaha 50's four carburetors removed, disassembled into parts, cleaned and reassembled. I learned there are no short cuts to boat maintenance when it comes to safety. My life is worth $780, at least. Maybe my wife might say even a thousand or more. It certainly is worth the slight extra effort to drain the motor of gas when I'm done for the day.

Now I switch to a small 2.5 gal tank with gas preservative added to the gas when I near my final port. (The preservative is quite expensive at boat stores, cheaper at Home Depot.) I run the motor dry at the dock before putting C-Pup16 on the trailer. (It's easy to do by disconnecting my portable gas tank used on my 16 ft cruiser). I use a siphon to transfer gas remaining in my portable tanks into my car tank and store the boat gas tanks empty until next trip. I always leave port with fresh gas.

Yep. Ethanol sucks for boats, and the economy. It only benefits corn farmers and Monsanto, who lobby for laws requiring it. It distorts farming decisions on what to grow, making our eaten food more expensive. I hate the stuff.

Keith
C-Pup16
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that the overall environmental impact greater and thermodynamic return is lower of growing/using ethanol for a fuel supplement than if you just used straight gasoline. Maybe at one time there was a potential need for it in a world of gas shortages. But there is a glut of gasoline right now and even then there are better alternatives (at least for cars).
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I can't help it I will never use ethanol in any boat again. There are several factors involved:

1. Ethanol attracts water (and we all know boats stay far away from moisture <rolls eyes> so if you leave your boat with ethanol fuel in it make sure the tank if FULL

2. It is highly corrosive to old lines and can break them down

3. If you have a dirty tank from years of use the ethanol will "clean" thus breaking up the gunk and allowing it to flow through your engine (think problems) to your carb.

4. As was the case with me and my 89 Mercruiser it has a lower boiling point leading to vapor lock in some older engines where the fuel lines run close to a very hot engine. This happened to me on the Columbia by hood river on a really bad day a year ago and I was dead in the water. I ran ethanol as an exception as I was running late to get into the water and we were trying to make it over the dam on time coming from Portland. We had water breaching the back of my boat sitting still, my bilge pump was working overtime. (4 hours later a fishing boat towed us to a dock)

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/192129-e-10-vapor-lock.html#b

Last but not least what idiot came up with the idea to turn food crops into fuel?

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last but not least what idiot came up with the idea to turn food crops into fuel?

I really have to bite my tongue on this one.

You will find it more and more difficult to locate non-ethanol fuel in the PNW. Most, if not all, marinas here in the PNW have been forced to purchase it as the main refinery in Anacortes will make real dyno gas only as an exception. I got this info straight from the manager of our local farm co-op, where dyno gas is still available...for a premium price. She told me they used to buy it directly from the refinery. But beginning a few years ago, they no longer could buy it from Anacortes. This forced them to order it shipped in from Tacoma,from a supplier that ordered large amounts from the refinery. So the Anacortes refinery makes an order, ships it 75+ miles south and the co-op orders it and RE-ships it BACK NORTH 50 miles, to their store. Yep. I kid you not. It's so expensive I no longer fill the boat with it. I do fill my classic cars and my small engines (mower, power washer etc) with it, however.

I've used this but the info may or may not be accurate. Some of the stations near us on this list no longer sell dyno gas, so...

https://www.pure-gas.org/
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we started going to the Friday Harbor gathering 5 years ago, the only place we could get non-ethanol gas was at Rosario Resort. Now Roche and Friday Harbor have non-ethanol. I know La Connor is also non-ethanol. I feel so much happier cruising in the San Juans now Very Happy

Martin.
Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: A bridge too far Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Not to mention that the overall environmental impact greater and thermodynamic return is lower of growing/using ethanol for a fuel supplement than if you just used straight gasoline. Maybe at one time there was a potential need for it in a world of gas shortages. But there is a glut of gasoline right now and even then there are better alternatives (at least for cars).

Ethanol in gasoline provides a farmer, instead of an oil refiner, with revenue. The "footprint" you are referring to, is a very complicated and unsolved equation. You can be sure there are significant costs and environmental penalties produced by obtaining both fuels. I am very well educated on the subject, I would chose an ethanol economy over an oil economy, but it is not that simple, and certainly not possible. The fact remains, ethanol recycles CO'2, gasoline does not.
Very few boats or cars have carbs, and old gas with or without ethanol is likely to gum up the works if it sits for months. I have been running dirtbikes, chainsaws, outboards, cars and trucks forever on fuel that contains ethanol. If I am not going to use a piece of equipment, I store it properly. I have had problems with engines, but I would say that as a trend over the last decade, reliabilty has improved. So does that mean ethanol fuel is actually superior? I am just trying to point out that many people run ethanol fuel with no issues. Many people run non ethanol fuel with no issues. That does not, a hypothesis make.
I am not a particularly lucky guy. (note dirtbikes) I love explosive fuel in internal combustion engines, but I dig my lithium battery power tools, too. I was a late convert, becuase I loved the power of my porter cable circular saw. Then I noticed it weighed twice as much as my Ryobi. I was not winding cords all the time. My observation is that people need a reason to distrust things that are good for them. They may think engines always work unless there is ethanol in the fuel. BTW, I use Stabil in portable engines and boats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: