The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is 75 enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Is 75 enough Reply with quote

There is a listing for a 1998 22 with a 75 hp Honda. Engine hours are too low to consider an early repower and the price at $29,500 makes an move today a bit expensive. Is 75 hp enough? The boat is well equipped and in very nice shape for a 1998. The motor has a Permatrim but no trim tabs on the hull. Thanks for chiming in, seems like you almost have to buy your first C-Dory so you can then sell and buy you next one. Bob Jarrard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the 22's were sold with 50 hp. They could achieve a plane at 12 to 14 mph. The 75 was the most common engine, and that was what the boats were designed around initially. You won't do as fast, but it suffices for cruising in the high teens. If you plan Lake Powell, or other higher elevations, you do loose significant HP, and the 75 is not going to be a speed machine. I feel that both trim tabs and the Permitrim are very desirable for getting the boat on a level plane, and nose down for going into chop.

The 75 is most likely a carbureted engine, so you will want to run fuel out of the carbs or drain them unless you are using the boat in a couple of weeks. (Especially if ethanol laced fuel.

The 75 on the 22, is like the 130 on the 25--marginal but works. I had the 130 on my first 25, and went for the 150--For best results the 25 can use the 200 hp. Same on the 22 --115 hp is going to be better than the 90 hp, which is the most common engine.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Thanks Bob!! Hull shape in 98 on a 22? Reply with quote

I know this has been hashed over before but I am overly cautious. There is more boat and equipment for sale than motor here on this one. I think the 75 was a 90 block depending on the year. This is a re-power for sure, the motor is in very clean shape and I see no bottom paint in the pictures. She has a cockpit enclosure, nice AC install, new fuel tanks, and a Honda 2000 setup. Garmin and set up for tablet. A good hull check with a descent moisture checker is in order as is probing all the fastener holes but she appears to live at least now on her trailer in a very nice shop building. If she ends up here in Nevada, there will be lots of dry air and I rent a 12' by 60' RV garage just in case I buy a boat!!!
My question: are the '98 hulls flatter in the stern section than the newer hulls?
Thanks in advance for the replies. I wish I had the $$ to buy Bob's boat and that my '06 Tundra was up to pulling a bigger boat (but then maybe the captain to be in too old to load, trailer, and run a bigger than 22 boat!!!)
Bob Jarrard
PS: ethanol free gas is only two hours away in southern Utah.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I found a nice 22 with a 75 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I had twin 35's on mine and it did 25 loaded. Worked fine offshore. More power would have been nice at times but the boat did well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I think the 75 was a 90 block depending on the year. ....
My question: are the '98 hulls flatter in the stern section than the newer hulls?

Yes the 75 and 90 are on the same block, with same displacement.

The hull change away from the flat bottom was in 1987. So a 1998 will be the same hull as current boats.

With the additions you describe, this is a very good buy, even with the 75 hp outboard. The fuel injection on the 75/90 block was in 2007 on. Also those later engines had a larger charging output.
Jeff_e_d

City/Region: Snohomish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Miss Mirth
Photos: Miss Mirth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 22 Cruiser (1998) listed on this website back in 2008. That boat had a Honda 75 4 stroke on it. I got 12 - 13 years of service life out of that motor. I felt like it was a good reliable motor and was told so by several mechanics that it was a good motor. It finally succumbed to salt water corrosion internal to the motor and water got in the oil. Now I have a new outboard.

I think if you own a CDory, you have to get your head around the fact that it will not be as fast as other similar sized boats. Because of the hull design, you get the benefit of better economy with a smaller motor every time you go to fuel it up. but there are trade offs and if you can live with that; ie slower speeds, its a solid boat. I have been in small craft / gale weather, and the boat pulled thru just fine. Also, this boat will not power thru chop like other heavier deep v boats will. But, it has kept me on the water to pursue my passion of fishing. Good luck! Jeff Day
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you bought it. That's a good price for a solid boat. I think the 75 will be ok.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_e_d wrote:
I bought a 22 Cruiser (1998) listed on this website back in 2008. it has kept me on the water to pursue my passion of fishing. Good luck! Jeff Day

I am so very happy to hear from you that you and Miss Mirth are still doing fine. I guess those boys are all grown up now. I remember the day you and Miss Mirth pulled away from our driveway. Here's wishing you and her all the best for many more years to come.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jeff_e_d

City/Region: Snohomish
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Miss Mirth
Photos: Miss Mirth
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Marty. Very kind of you to say so. As for the boys, yes they are grown and one keeps going out with me as he has the passion too.

take care,

Jeff Day
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run my 75 HP Yamaha on my 22’ Raven Dancer for 16 years now. When the boat is loaded & fueled up it will run 21 knots on flat clam water that’s right around 5500 rpm, most of the time I’m cruising right around 12 to 14 knots or slower seems like I’m never in that big of hurry.
Big Dave
Raven Dancer
Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: HP may depend on where you boat Reply with quote

I may not be the best example of power requirements on a C Dory, I boat in shallow water with pretty heavy loads in my 19 angler . (3 or 4 people, groceries, some bags)
I have a 90 ETEC with a well propped 4 blade stainless, that will turn 5200 with just me and my Guiness , Maybe 4900 loaded.
I need to get out of the hole pretty fast to avoid digging a trench in the sand.
I would not want less HP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: