The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on 1985 Angler 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m37driver

City/Region: SAN JOSE
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Thoughts on 1985 Angler 22 Reply with quote

Hello,
Sooo, looking for a family cursing / diving/ fishing boat. I currently have a small rib that dose will for short fishing and dive trips. While i'm happy with it its not that family friendly and I thing the CDory fits the requirements.

Locally there is a 22' Angler form 1985. I have not seen the boat in person, just form the pictures the owner posted, It looks like it has had a rough life at sea. owner had it berthed in the harbor for some time. A lot of rust stains on the firbre glass around any metal work. not a problem by its self but watching what Scallywag is dealing with core rot is a nightmare...

Next concern is clear evidence of janky wiring. I know this is common boats. Im a ok engineer and confident i can fix any thing electrical, BUT, what I worry about is if the owner was cutting corners with electrical and didn't bother tyding it up for an ad picture. How well was the boat cared for otherwise...

I also understand that in general, transom rot can be a problem. The transom has been drilled for sonar transducer quite some time ago. At some point the boat has been re-powered.

I guess what i'm looking for from you, dear reader, is... Are there any specific things to look for in this model year?

Any thoughts / pep talk before going to see the boat in person?
I have worked on / maintained boats yeas ago but those were all aluminum / steel crew boats...

Thank you for you time.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anything specific to that model or year.

The condition of the core is your biggest concern. If there are any soft spots, you need to bail or get a smoking deal. I would recommend getting a moisture meter and learn how to use it. Also tapping the hull and transom and listening for a sharp crack instead of a dull thud. I'm not that good at telling the difference. If you do these things and don't find anything, then you should hire a marine surveyor, but this can prevent you from wasting money on a survey.

1985 is an old boat, and if it's been stored in the water I would be especially wary.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1985 Angler 22 Reply with quote

m37driver wrote:
Sooo, looking for a family cursing / diving/ fishing boat.

Best typo ever. Reminds me of our favorite docking scenario. Captain (husband) yelling at wife: "God damn it, honey!!" Ahhh, family cursing boats.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1985 boat will be the old "flat Iron" bottom--It is plywood, rather than balsa. Probably not a lot of freezing weather where that boat was located, especially if kept in the water, but...any core penetration could still be a rot issue.

Cosmetics do count. Generally people who keep the boat looking good, also take care of them mechanically. By many criteria that 1985 boat may've had more than one re-power.

Photos will tell us. a lot about the boat. The early boats did not have the same fuel tanks and splash well, there was no dead rise, no reverse shear at the chine, and no V to the hull forward (Progressive dead rise).

A well carried for early (prior to 1987) boat is beautiful. In some ways I like the early lines better.

To bring a hull back which has been badly abused can be done--but it can also be very expensive unless you have the expertise to do it yourself. If the gel coat is shot, then the boat will have to be painted. To get the best job, means fairing the hull, filling sanding, fairing sanding etc. Then spray on a 2 part LP paint like Awlgrip.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1985 has balsa coring only in the transom. The floor and deck are plywood. Use a moisture meter. Most of the transom are or have been wet.,not sealed good when new. I removed the two thru hall cockpit drains and got lots of water. Check the plywood floor in front of the transom. Good luck.
m37driver

City/Region: SAN JOSE
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If there are any soft spots, you need to bail or get a smoking deal.

no joke....

> Photos will tell us.

Since I am a huge boomer, I can't find the link to upload photos to the gallery. Anyway these are the photos form the ad:

No built in battery boxes, fair amount of staining. And dat wire loom...

Fresh bottom paint but the state of the metal bits looks like they spend a lot of time in the water.

Holes form the old deck lamp not patched,

The helm, some updated electronics

Side view

some staining on the inside wall, form leaking roof?
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want to buy it at a bargain price. The staining of the transom, and in the cabin worry me, ref transom core relacement as pointed out. Deck leaks in the carbon are probably around the bow railing. Again--you would want to sound out that area.

Transom is easier to repair (and you would probably want to" upgrade" the splash well and area. I would consider some DIY and probably be a great boat.

Put the outboard in the trailering position and then put your body weight on the lower unit. See if the motor flexes the transom (Don't go too hard. If it starts to move--stop then!)

Overall, this is is a "nice looking" boat.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bob, I wouldn't pay much for it. It needs a complete retrofit on about everything and I'd expect the hull to have an issue here or there. It looks like it could be a great project boat, and probably one you can use as you upgrade things.
AK_Tom

City/Region: Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to these boats, what is 'not much' for older project boats like these? I am looking at a similar deal. 22' Angler from 1983 but doesn't have as much staining. For late model sales there's a lot to comp the price to but for these older boats that need work I'm not finding much to base my offer on.
AK_Tom

City/Region: Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to these boats, what is 'not much' for older project boats like these? I am looking at a similar deal. 22' Angler from 1983 but doesn't have as much staining. For late model sales there's a lot to comp the price to but for these older boats that need work I'm not finding much to base my offer on. (yes, I know each boat is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. I just want to align what I'm willing to pay with what the average next guy will should I sell at some point minus my use or plus my upgrades)
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: angler Reply with quote

i take that sucker, bolt on a puller and turn it into a crab boat in a ny minute
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one that was turned into a Crabber.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK_Tom wrote:
Being new to these boats, what is 'not much' for older project boats like these? I am looking at a similar deal. 22' Angler from 1983 but doesn't have as much staining. For late model sales there's a lot to comp the price to but for these older boats that need work I'm not finding much to base my offer on. (yes, I know each boat is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. I just want to align what I'm willing to pay with what the average next guy will should I sell at some point minus my use or plus my upgrades)

Without looking at the boat it is very difficult to know. But an example. Several yars ago, there was a 19 offered for $10,000, by a widow. There was a buyer in MO. who was interested, and so Marie and I spent a very long day, driving to the boat, doing a mimi survey, talking to the most interesting lady who was selling, and then advising the buyer in MO. that it was not the boat for them.

The seller wanted to know what I thought about the price, and I felt it was about right at $10,000. The trailer was in bad shape, tires were rotten, the boat needed some real cleaning. The motor turned over, and looked good, but when I was looking at the battery cables, and considering if we were going to put jump start box on and fire the engine--the positive cable to the motor was so corroded that it literally fell apart in my hands. The boat was also on a fairly steep gravel slope, so it took a substantial truck to pull it out.

One of the other C Brats bought the boat, and towed it by side roses several hundred miles "home", fixed it up and sold it. The boat was solid--but because of location, situation, and unknowns was a real bargain.

Unknown on this 22 Angler boat is the condition of the engine. If the engine is low hours and in good shape, the boat is worth a lot more than if the engine is shot. I have seen boats which were in similar or slightly better shape go for $12,000,, but also some have gone for far more.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1985 Angler 22 Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
m37driver wrote:
Sooo, looking for a family cursing / diving/ fishing boat.

Best typo ever. Reminds me of our favorite docking scenario. Captain (husband) yelling at wife: "God damn it, honey!!" Ahhh, family cursing boats.

Mark

Profanity is the linguistic crutch of an inarticulate @$$****.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: