The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Diesel odor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Diesel odor Reply with quote

Greetings Brats,
We recently purchased a CD 25 with a Wallas Stove top/ heater. The diesel odor is overwhelming with the cabin closed up. Is this a common issue? Can it be solved?
Thanks,
Steve Callaway
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel odor Reply with quote

Coach07 wrote:
Greetings Brats,
We recently purchased a CD 25 with a Wallas Stove top/ heater. The diesel odor is overwhelming with the cabin closed up. Is this a common issue? Can it be solved?
Thanks,
Steve Callaway

I use Klean Heat mostly after having the same problem. Its a lot more expensive but a gallon will usually fuel the Wallas for a good long time. There can be a smell if the combuation wafts back in, but it isn't nearly as unpleasant as diesel.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kerosene-Heater/3637782
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something wrong in either the combustion process or in the exhaust if you are experiencing extreme odors from your Wallas. Normally if the boat is positioned just right during the heator start up some unpleasant ordor can get back into the cabin, but that can occur with Kleen Heat also. Before diesel had a mandatory reduction in sulphur content that made a huge reduction in odor put off in the combustion process, we used the Kleen Heat. Since then, we have used #2 diesel exclusively with noticeable order only sometimes during start up or when the Wallas was not operating properly.

During our 2012 SE Alaska cruise the Wallas 95 quit during the first month, so replaced it with a Wallas 85 combo heater/cooker. In the next two months, 784 hours of burn time was recorded & confirmed by Scan Marine, when it was sent in for a over heating problem when back from the cruise. Over the years between the 95 & 85 models we have used these Wallas heaters for many thousands of hours both on Kleen Heat & different diesels fuels, so have experienced many different kinds of failures & operating conditions causing or not noticeable odors. Steve, with your stated overwhelming order occurring, then something is wrong in either the combustion or exhaust or possibly both. Yes, this can & should be corrected with Scan Marine your best source for solving the problem. This is their service number. 206-285-3675

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the odor is present when the stove is not being used, look for a leak in the diesel container or fuel lines going to the stove. We have used the Wallas in various boats for over 15 years and never had a bad diesel odor--except in those rare conditions as covered by posters above--Back drafting is rare (in our experience. One can put a big clamshell vent cover if there is a frequent back drafting issue--but that is very rare, and would suggest some other issue with the stove since it is forced draft (fan blower).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the odor from the exhaust or the diesel itself? When we were shopping for a cdory there was one boat that smelled strongly of diesel in the cabin and I now suspect somebody spilled diesel at some point when refilling the jug. We only get a little exhaust smell at start up and only if the wind is blowing it back at us.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the box the houses the burner has a crack in it. It happened to mine and it had to be replaced. And yes, some smoke and exhaust fumes were coming into the boat. It was really pretty obvious what was going on.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my C-25 sight unseen (not recommended!) and when it arrived the diesel odor from the Wallis was overpowering----to me. I had just written off used Ranger Tugs due to the diesel and was most upset that my new gasoline C-Dory stunk like diesel! If I had inspected the boat before purchase that would have killed the deal! I'm not joking, but I just can't handle that. It had been locked up in the hot sun and the Wallis had a full tank and I could not stay in the cabin without getting dizzy. I am highly sensitive to fumes of all types so this is NOT common with most people, but I had to empty the tank and wash it and leave it off the boat to dry and de-odorize. I then cleaned all under the sink and got out any trace. I never used the Wallis so only put the tank back in when I sold the boat and it no longer stunk by then. And, I did enjoy my C-Dory! So if you are not going to use the Wallis, drain that tank and get it off your boat. Good luck!
Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: diesel odor Reply with quote

We have not used the Wallas, but the odor is strong enough to make Karen nauseous and unpleasant for me as well. It was demonstrated to us during the sea trial, but then we have not used it since. The odor is not obvious when cabin is open, but strong when closed. Thanks for the replies, I will use the shared knowledge when looking for the solution. Fly on!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here on the farm I often have to fix things and my rule of thumb is to start with the simplest (cheapest) fix first. In my opinion, I would start by removing the fuel tank and maybe getting a new tank. The next fix would be to check and replace the fuel lines. If neither of these work, then you may have to call the experts (expensive). But then at least you have exhausted some of the cheap fixes first.

I have never had problems with smell of any kind smell with my Wallace, except once when I was docked with the exhaust next to the dock. The wind was just right and I was getting some exhaust smell into the boat.

I have also just installed a Wabatso Diesel Heater into my boat and I made the fuel tank out of a 10 litre plastic fuel can that I bought for less than $10. A lot cheaper than buying a plastic jug from Wallace.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel odor Reply with quote

Coach07 wrote:
We have not used the Wallas, but the odor is strong enough to make Karen nauseous and unpleasant for me as well. It was demonstrated to us during the sea trial, but then we have not used it since. The odor is not obvious when cabin is open, but strong when closed. Thanks for the replies, I will use the shared knowledge when looking for the solution. Fly on!

I would guess that if there is odor when the stove is not running, it is from spilled diesel or a leak and is exacerbated by the higher vapor pressure from Florida heat. I don't get an overpowering aroma here in the cold PNW, but I moved away from diesel to Klean Heat because of the smell. I just bought a Florida Wallas from Capn Mac. You might want to move the Wallas out of your boat if you are not going to use it. That should eventually help, but if there is spilled diesel it might take a while.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it diesel??....Well, at least my Wallas on my old 25 wasn't diesel. It was a clear fuel.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Cview

City/Region: Phoenix
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-VIEW II
Photos: C-VIEW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Diesel Odor Reply with quote

I took the Wallas out of our boat because of the diesel odor and the fact that it didn't function to my satisfaction. I thought the diesel odor was due to the fact that the tank was vented to the inside of the boat. There has to be a vent to allow air in the tank as fuel is used. I considered venting the tank to outside the boat, but since the Wallas wasn't working right anyway, I removed it. Since we're boating mostly in the desert Southwest, I don't need much heat in the cabin.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: