The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom cleaning, San Juan Islands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Bottom cleaning, San Juan Islands Reply with quote

Hello Brats. Curious if anyone leaves their C-Dory in the water all year or even part time and how often and whom you might recommend for bottom cleaning.

Thanks,
Kirk

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that in the summer months here in the San Juans after 3 to 5 weeks in the water, there's a surprising amount of growth on the bottom of my CD25. There's enough growth that I don't like to leave it on the mooring ball longer than that; so I haul it out every month or so on the trailer and power wash the bottom. I particularly dislike the barnacles; I find they come off fairly easily unless they have grown a bit. 3-5 weeks seems to be the knee of the curve on that. (Of course this is without bottom paint.)
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information Sandy. We have never had our boat in the water for more than 2 weeks at a time and I was wondering about that. Seems like two weeks of travel on the water may be the limit for those who do not have bottom paint on their boat. Boats in travel may also have the benefit of keeping the hull clean because of being motored daily.
fidalgoisland

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Critter
Photos: Sea Critter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is in the water year round in Anacortes. I usually only take it out twice a year. I find there is very little growth except around the water line and on the trim tabs. In addition to the power washing twice a year when I pull the boat I usually scrub around the water line once a month. This past year I finally raised the bottom paint above the usual water line hoping will help. I'll let you know.
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Thank you Sandy Reply with quote

We will have bottom paint so hope that helps. I might hire a diver or do it myself. But that seems pretty quick for growth, thanks so much for replying:-) Have a great summer,
Kirk
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: fidalgoisland - Thank you Reply with quote

We are also going to go a few inches at least above water line with our bottom paint, sounds like that really helps. I do plan on jumping in the cold water some in summer to do a little clean up myself and of course will try to brush at the dock as well. Looks like I need to invest in a gas power washer:-)

But I may contact a dive service as well. Just curious what they charge. We may be in the water all winter as well and off island, so might want to get that service going.

The yachts we services in Newport CA back in the day and all along the SoCal coast had terrible bottom growth in the warmer waters. A monthly expense there.

Thanks again and enjoy the upcoming season:-)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk, I have had my bot in for 2 weeks down here in the Sound with just "hose off " growth, but on a 100 day trip up at the north end of Vancouver Island, after 48 days I had barnacles the size of pencil erasers. I now have bottom paint, and I raised the water line about 4 inches. You are welcome to take a look if you like. I don't have pix of the new waterline on the site (yet).

Also, I don't get my trim tabs painted when they did the bottom. I am using dipper rash medicine, Desitine on them. It is a zinc oxide paste and works well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

crowleykirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Harvey, Reply with quote

I was thinking 3 inches above water line but I think I'll go 4 inches as well.

Dipper rash medicine, that's interesting:-) Have to look into that.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Kirk
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised our bottom paint line three SE Alaska extended cruises ago & it has made a huge difference in the amount of after trip clean up time. I can’t remember the exact amount of inches raised, but it was enough to cover what before was the normal scum line above the bottom paint.

Jay

crowleykirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks Jay:-) Reply with quote

If you happen to remember the magic number please let us know.

We will have black bottom paint and the rest of the boat is white and gray, it would actually look pretty nice to have the black above the water line.

I guess in an ideal world we'd gas up the boat and add in our gear and then put it in the water for a measurement.

Or, maybe just go 4 to 6 inches and call it good.

We have (soon) a 23 venture.

Thanks again,

Kirk
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the OP - there are two options for bottom cleaning: pull it up on the trailer and powerwash/scrub it, or have a diver scrape the bottom. I know there are a couple divers that do boats in the marina at the Port of Friday Harbor that we used on commercial boats; check with Tami in the marina office, and she may be able to give you some names.

The water in the Salish Sea stays pretty chilly even in summer, which does slow down growth/barnacles; in our sub-tropical climate, an unpainted bottom will be an issue in 10 days or so. If you plan to leave your boat in the water in the San Juans, be sure to have whoever does the work use a bottom paint that will remain effective after being put on a trailer (assuming you want to trailer your boat around). Not all bottom paints are the same. A cruddy bottom will affect boat performance.

When we had our C-Dory done, we applied two coats of barrier paint (after roughing up the gelcoat with sandpaper, then a different color bottom paint, so it would be apparent when the bottom paint is wearing. If you decide to go with black bottom paint, it will age to a dark gray color in a short time, but that does not change the effectiveness.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have bottom paint it might be a good idea to check on the kind of paint you have, and how and where you are going to have it cleaned, before you start. FYI: https://ecology.wa.gov/DOE/files/9f/9f9f5b86-865a-431c-9254-1216cf5bba49.pdf
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Good posts.... Thank you... Reply with quote

We do plan on trailing a lot at some point in time. Interesting on certain paints being effected by the trailer.

I have talked to one diver I've seen in Roche but I'd assume he'd be pricey. I do plan on getting in the water some myself. I know Tamy, I will ask her as well.
Thanks for the heads up.

So,
1. Find out more info on the type of paint used. I.E. - trailering
2. Raise bottom paint possibly 4 to 6 inches above water line
3. Roughen gel coat
4. Talk to a diver
5. Buy a dry suit:-)
6. Tell First Mate it's all part of the boating experience:-)

BOAT
Break Out Another Thousand

Cheers,
Kirk
JeffK

City/Region: RAMROD KEY
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Barnacles Reply with quote

I am 76 now, but as a young man I had an underwater service business in Miami. Fouling growth is a huge problem in our very warm water. I had regular customers who had me come once a month to dive under their boats and gently remove the algae slime that would seal their anti fouling paint. Failing to do that led to barnacles and even sponges growing on the hull that made it look like a coral reef. I eventually got hydraulic brushes for use on large yachts and freighters. I don’t believe fouling growth is as serious a problem in colder water. I could see the huge difference in growth between summer and winter even in Miami. Finally, unless you are a very good diver, you don’t want to put anything solid, like a boat, between you and the surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: