The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' weigh in
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: 22' weigh in Reply with quote

I've been thinking about upgrading my trailer and thought I had better find out what my old tub actually weighs. I've been been fiddling around adding knickknacks to it for over 20 years and just knew it was overweight for my single axle ezloader trailer

I pondered on the logistics of getting a weight, with the boat tied up in the Ridgefield marina and it being time to pull it out for a clean up, it would be a good time to find a scale. I had purchased materials from American Stone by the pound across the freeway from the Clark county fair grounds so I went and asked them about weighing the boat. They said no problem, no charge, great folks I gave them a $20 anyway.

Here's what I found on the 1999 22' with twin 50hp Suzukies, two propane tanks, no water in h2o system, about 10 gallons of gas and about 40# of fishing gear .......and about 5# of Columbia rive scum-
Truck and empty trailer 7300# 820#
Truck and trailer& boat 7640# 3840#
so..tongue weight = 340
boat = 3020

Yahoo, this puts me well under the load capacity of my single axle trailer. This is good as I don't want a double axle trailer. All I would gain with a double axle is twice the tire bill, twice the wheel end maintenance expense and twice the chance of breakdowns. Some folks like a double axle for redundancy in case of a blowout, I figure I've been running a single axle on the front and a single axle on the rear of my trucks forever and have never had worries about blowouts. My truck is rated to tow 12,500# so if I do get a blowout in a spot that's unsafe to pull over, I'll just turn the stereo up and truck on Smile

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

I totally agree with you on this and good job in showing the numbers with weight. I adhere to the KISS principle and like your sense of humor with turning up the stereo and trucking on. Laughing

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, our 22 sure is a lot heavier than yours. Still, we safely made three Alaska trips & a total of 40,000 miles towing on our prior single axel EZ loader trailer. On it’s last Alaska trip in 2007, we did have some structural parts fail & the reason we finally switched to a EZ loader twin axel. In those 40,000 miles we only had one flat & no bearing or brake problems & since 2010 now have over 40,000 miles on the twin axel with again only one flat & no other problems.

Our boat weight taken just prior to our 2015 SE Alaska trip was:
4577 lbs, just the boat + trailer of 1280 lbs, making for 5858 lbs of which, 660 lbs was tongue weight. I agree you don’t need a twin axel, but we & others who run near our weight do.

It’s amazing how well the CD 22 performs with extreme amounts of weight added, while cruising in a variety of rough water sea conditions.

Jay

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Ken, our 22 sure is a lot heavier than yours. Still, we safely made three Alaska trips & a total of 40,000 miles towing on our prior single axel EZ loader trailer. On it’s last Alaska trip in 2007, we did have some structural parts fail & the reason we finally switched to a EZ loader twin axel. In those 40,000 miles we only had one flat & no bearing or brake problems & since 2010 now have over 40,000 miles on the twin axel with again only one flat & no other problems.

Our boat weight taken just prior to our 2015 SE Alaska trip was:
4577 lbs, just the boat + trailer of 1280 lbs, making for 5858 lbs of which, 660 lbs was tongue weight. I agree you don’t need a twin axel, but we & others who run near our weight do.

It’s amazing how well the CD 22 performs with extreme amounts of weight added, while cruising in a variety of rough water sea conditions.

Jay

Last time I checked my CD-22, it weighed 4400# with the trailer. That is with the normal stuff we carry with ~1/4 gas and no water.
B~C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh fer sure if your boat is in the 4,000# zone a double is in order. I'm going to try and stay in the single axle weight range, luckily, I like lite beer and on long trips we generally fuel up when we get where we're going
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them Suckzukis run on low carb fuel so that helps keep the weight down on the whole thing. Keeps the A1C under control, too.
B~C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, the Suzukis are on a no carb diet. I think the biggest difference is that they use a lighter weight oil than some of the older engines
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 2001 Tundra my weights are:
Truck 5240, Pacific Galvanized Tandem (empty) 1160, Tongue 450 (=/- 25#)
Truck Front Ax 2620
Truck Rear Ax 2700
Trailer (with 22 CD Cruiser on) both axles 4900. Boat is fully fueled and watered, loaded for cruising.

I don't have weights for the 2007 Tundra yet.

And to further Shocked complicate Confused things I am adding Kodiak Stainless Disc brakes to the second axle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 22' weigh in Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
I've been thinking about upgrading my trailer and thought I had better find out what my old tub actually weighs. I've been been fiddling around adding knickknacks to it for over 20 years and just knew it was overweight for my single axle ezloader trailer

I pondered on the logistics of getting a weight, with the boat tied up in the Ridgefield marina and it being time to pull it out for a clean up, it would be a good time to find a scale. I had purchased materials from American Stone by the pound across the freeway from the Clark county fair grounds so I went and asked them about weighing the boat. They said no problem, no charge, great folks I gave them a $20 anyway.

Here's what I found on the 1999 22' with twin 50hp Suzukies, two propane tanks, no water in h2o system, about 10 gallons of gas and about 40# of fishing gear .......and about 5# of Columbia rive scum-<stuff clipped, emphasis added>

Only 40# of fishing gear? Are you really even trying??? I guy needs 8-10 rods and reels minimum (and that's just on the boat). Then at least 25 different flashers, 20# of lead weights, 117 different spoons, 15 different divers and don't even get me started on the number of squid/hootchies and the halibut/ling cod gear.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up here you don't even have to try.....lol....
B~C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye, anymore I travel light since I retired from the fishing business. I may have enough gear in the garage though to put the Blue~C into the tandem axle category.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - some trailer frames are identical between the tandem and single. If you have the larger frame, you can bolt a 6 lug axle under it. It won't up your "legal" GVW, but it will up your actual GVW if that makes any sense at all. I put a 5.2 or 6k (can't remember) pound axle under mine and upgraded the rubber to 225-75-15 E rated tired because the original 5 lug was a pile of crap with tiny brakes that wore tires out like crazy. While it's not legally a 6k trailer, it is an identical copy of one. If you have the lighter trailer with the 4" frame, and I'm pretty sure Bob had one of those with a tongue failure, there is almost nothing you can do to improve it since it doesn't have the structure under it for any additional weight. In fact, I don't think those are study enough for most 22s, but some people make them work.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Up here you don't even have to try.....lol....

Man that stings. 😂
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have the lighter trailer with the 4" frame, and I'm pretty sure Bob had one of those with a tongue failure, there is almost nothing you can do to improve it since it doesn't have the structure under it for any additional weight. In fact, I don't think those are study enough for most 22s, but some people make them work.

That is correct. That type of trailer is cheaper--and the dealer can sell a package for a thousand less. It works fine for a "yard trailer". We had put about 4,000 miles on the trailer when the "pole" tongue failed. It may have been because of the expansion joints on I 10 in Mississippi, where the RV was stabilized with air bags, and of the course the trailer bounded around. There was no corrosion on the inside of the tongue where it failed.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, a tongue failure would be a white knuckler. It's amazing the kind of things some RV and boat manufactures and dealers pull off.
Sportcraft, a stand-up outfit, originally sold this and they put it on the beefy single axle trailer with the six lug axle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: