View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: 15lb manson supreme anchor Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a small float trip line attached to their Manson Supreme anchor? The rock slot is for anchoring in rock or coral, but most of us in the PNW would attach the chain to the small slot. In iffy snaggy bottoms it seems a bit of a chore having to cut the zip tie, undo the shackle from the small slot and then reattach it again to the rock slot. Plus the thought of wind or current shift, would that unset the Manson useing the rock slot? So if a person used a small float trip line, would you attach it to the rock slot or the hoop? Would this endanger fouling the anchor and causing it to not set? Your thoughts?

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the slot in the Manson Supreme, for fear of pulling the anchor if there was a dramatic shift in wind or current.

Trip lines can be used, and I probably would use the hoop. In the several thousand times I have anchored, I have only used trip lines a few times. Once another boat thought it was a mooring float, and of course tripped my anchor. Another time, a commercial boat anchored directly ahead of me, and wound the trip line into his prop. The 3rd time, I did use it to pull the anchor when it was stuck under a rock.

I prefer to use the chain loop slid down the anchor rode, and then pull from the opposite direction. That has worked for me in several occasions. Never lost an anchor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: 15 lb manson supreme anchor Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I never used the slot in the Manson Supreme, for fear of pulling the anchor if there was a dramatic shift in wind or current.

Trip lines can be used, and I probably would use the hoop. In the several thousand times I have anchored, I have only used trip lines a few times. Once another boat thought it was a mooring float, and of course tripped my anchor. Another time, a commercial boat anchored directly ahead of me, and wound the trip line into his prop. The 3rd time, I did use it to pull the anchor when it was stuck under a rock.

I prefer to use the chain loop slid down the anchor rode, and then pull from the opposite direction. That has worked for me in several occasions. Never lost an anchor.

Thanks Bob for the reply. I think the chain loop is the best answer. I do have one stashed away onboard for such an emergency.

Martin.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Bob,
Could you please describe in detail the chain loop setup and how it works? I am assuming its not like a chain ring with floating buoy for anchor retrieval.

Thanks,
Grazer
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: 15 lb manson supreme anchor Reply with quote

[/quote]

Bob,
Could you please describe in detail the chain loop setup and how it works? I am assuming its not like a chain ring with floating buoy for anchor retrieval.

Thanks,
Grazer[/quote]

Here's my version, but I'm sure Bob is far more articulate than I.
If my anchor is snagged, I make sure the bow is over the anchor and the rode is as vertical as possible. I then take a piece of chain about 12" to 15" long, wrap it once around the rode like a bracelet and then join both ends of the chain together with a shackle or something similar. Attach a line to the "bracelet" and lower it down the rode. The plan is to get it down to the anchor, jiggle it over the shank, and as close to the end of the anchor as possible. Launch your dinghy if it has an outboard, and pull on the line from the opposite direction as if using an ordinary trip line. If no outboard on your dinghy, slacken off the main rode so that you can move the mother boat to an opposite position from where the anchor is stuck. Pull on the "bracelet" line and hope today is your lucky day.

Martin.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin gives a good description--my version is a little different, but the same principle. I use a little longer piece of chain--about 4 feet, and a bow shackle with an extra line attached to it, The chain is thru the pin (one link at each end). I use the main boat to ease back after the chain is around the shank of the anchor--and pull back slowy--don 't put much force on it until I am sure that the chain is down around the shank as far as possible--this is by feel. I do go at 180 degrees of where the boat was riding and the anchor was set. When I am back at 2/1 scope, I then cleat the pulling line down (we still have the anchor rode on the boat) and slowly give pull in reverse. The reason I use the larger boat probably has to do with a small motor on the dinghy (3.5 hp) and my age/back.

The trick is getting the chain down over the shank. I keep the rode tight and even depress the bow a little during the time I am lowering the chain.

As I back the boat up, I keep a little pressure on the pulling line attached to the chain.

I have had to use another trick when caught under a cable on several occasions. That is to bring the anchor up as far as possible--then either diving or using a boat hook, if you can get the anchor and cable as close to the surface, place a piece of rope around the cable--take this line up tight with both ends cleated down. then suddenly drop the anchor; this should allow it to drop free of the cable. Cables are found in many anchorages where logging has taken place.
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: 15 lb manson supreme anchor Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I learnt some good info from your post as well.

Martin.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchor woes!

I got a Fortress FX-16 stuck in a submerged pine tree in Shasta Lake about 6 years ago, and couldn't break it free with the full force of my Yamaha F-90 and all the momentum I could gather with my CD-22. The flexible limbs of the old tree made it even worse, since their elastic give cushioned the impact I was able impart to the tree.

We finally marked the spot, cut the rode, and waited for the water to receed in the following months (reservoir).

Came back two months later with my pontoon boat, my 37 year old son as a diver, and an underwater TV camera. Found the anchor and retrieved it and the 100 feet of GS-40 chain. Lucky that the water was getting shallower in the cycle, not deeper!

The chain loop is a good one, but probably wouldn't have helped in this case, since the tree branch was jammed in the flukes tightly.

Another idea:

How about using a ballast bag to help raise an anchor when you can't get enough purchase on it with a dinghy or boat?

Send the chain loop down with a line along with a small air hose and an expandable bladder attached. Inflate the bladder to raise the anchor, boat, body, or whatever. The pressure needed to inflate the bladder would require an air compressor.

I believe there is 1 atmosphere of pressure (14.7 psi) per 33 feet of water depth, so one can calculate the pressure needed, about one half psi per foot of depth.

The bladder would have to be pretty tough/durable to withstand the lifting forces generated on it. A cubic meter of air would generate approximately 2,200 lbs of lifting force (1000 kg.)

We could probably raise more than an anchor or two with this set up! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. Great description of the procedure.
Grazer
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, then you could use that chain saw you always carry to cut up the tree. :D

There is another technique which I don't use, but it is using a large round fender. Usually 12 to 18" in diameter.

http://www.anchorpullers.com

and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiNDQW_r08
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Joe, then you could use that chain saw you always carry to cut up the tree. Very Happy
(Some omitted)

Bob-

Actually I've been working on an underwater chainsaw/submersible diving capsule that is disguised as a sawfish, so as not to alarm the other sea animals. It's amazing how life-like we've managed to make it as you can see:

Seen any interesting or unusual sea creatures in your bayou lately? CoolSmile

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that new digital camera you also invented!
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a little bulky......
wa500

City/Region: seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: C-Horse
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: