The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF90 ring gear holder tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Honda BF90 ring gear holder tool Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have the ring gear holder tool for the Honda BF90 sitting around and want to sell it? The Honda part number is 07SPB-ZW10100, or 07WPB-ZW50100, which superseded it. This is the tool that you drop into the starter spot to lock the crankshaft for changing out the timing belt. The Honda book, of course, says you have to use this tool, but the Seloc book also says not to try to use a screwdriver or anything else. All I can find is new tools, which are $130-$150. I'm hoping someone got a new motor and doesn't need this tool anymore. Thanks.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda BF90 ring gear holder tool Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
Does anyone happen to have the ring gear holder tool for the Honda BF90 sitting around and want to sell it? The Honda part number is 07SPB-ZW10100, or 07WPB-ZW50100, which superseded it. This is the tool that you drop into the starter spot to lock the crankshaft for changing out the timing belt. The Honda book, of course, says you have to use this tool, but the Seloc book also says not to try to use a screwdriver or anything else. All I can find is new tools, which are $130-$150. I'm hoping someone got a new motor and doesn't need this tool anymore. Thanks.

Search for Youtube videos on change the timing belts on outboards. You may find some alternatives in those.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the U-tube, the tool is pretty simple. Why not make your own? 2 strips of steel from HomeDepot, drill 3 holes put in a bolt and there it is.

BYW, that tool in the video looks like an aftermarket tool?

Boris
Ken O

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup: I just adapted the tool I had made to do this job on a car a few years ago (ironically a 1996 Accord--same engine as the BF90!). I had to drill some additional holes and buy some longer bolts at the hardware store, but it worked fine. I was happy that the bar I have on it is almost 4 feet long, as I needed that much leverage.

An additional note is that you have to be careful not to allow the crankshaft to turn backward (counterclockwise) to avoid damaging the water pump impeller. The "no worry" solution here is to do the timing belt first, then do the impeller afterward--it probably needs replacement anyway. Thanks for the ideas.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
Followup: I just adapted the tool I had made to do this job on a car a few years ago (ironically a 1996 Accord--same engine as the BF90!). ...

I thought the BF90D was the same engine as the Honda Fit. I though the 150 was from the Accord.
Ken O

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BF90A that I have is a 1600cc 4 cylinder, which was the basic guts of the 90's Accords. I don't even think they offered a V-6 in those days. I think as Accords evolved, the engine got bigger. Hopefully they still found an automotive use for the 1600, since, in my experience, it was just about indestructible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: