The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit Washdown Intake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Cockpit Washdown Intake Reply with quote

I decided to pull my cockpit washdown intake to clean it up and in the process of prepping for some new bottom paint. Since getting the boat I've questioned the direction of the grates on the intake. They face the bow, thereby putting more water pressure on the system when underway. There is a ball valve I keep in the closed position other than when I'm using the washdown pump. Since this intake is only used for the cockpit wash down system, and not for any cooling or other water, I'm wondering if it would be better for the grates to face aft. In that situation, I think at speed, the washdown system would actually act as a siphon if emergency need be. Anyway, below is a photo of the through hull I'm speaking of. Would it be best to leave it mounted as it was, grates facing the bow, or to reposition it with the grates facing the stern? Colby

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at idle I do not think it would matter one bit which way it is facing. And yes if it starts to leak its going to fill you boat at speed. How well its going to act as a emergency drain on plane is anyone's guess , but call me if you want to test it. Sounds like fun.

I have a raw water washdown on the 27 but instead of a thru hull I used a hose that comes out of the boat above the water line and hangs down in to the water. its attached so I can use it on plane or at idle. Works well or me.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same washdown through hull on my boat until I did the bottom paint last year. Had the thru hull pulled, and the bottom hole glassed over. I am going with a system like Tom's. Still want the pump but with a hose to put over the side for intake, NOT a HOLE in the BOTTOM of the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I don't know the correct answer but here's some random thoughts.

1/ at idle it would suck water equally well facing any direction - I don't know what you would use a wash down hose for while at planning speeds.

2/ the face containing the intake grate is tapered so comparing that to any clamshell that would suggest it face forward.

3/ to try using it as a scupper the grates would have to face aft.

4/ I side with Tom and Harvey re. sealing up the thru hull and dropping the line over the gunwale for water.

Regards,

Rob

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the reasoning for just throwing a hose over the side. However, that's more stuff that needs to be stowed when not in use. I have no problem with resealing the through hull back in the hull. And I am also replacing the ball valve, so that too will be in good shape. And worse case scnerio, there is a bilge pump under the door step right next to where the through hull comes in, beside the ball valve. (It's all heavy brass until the opposite end of the ball valve.) The grate position has worked just fine this long, but I just don't like the idea of the extra water pressure into the system when running the boat. If I were to use the wash down pump while running, then it might make sense to leave it facing forward. But I don't see ever doing that. Other through hulls I've seen don't seem to be directional. I do like having the cockpit wash down pump for washing down the cockpit, and more often, the bow ladder, bow and anchor. I just can't see any reason not to turn it around so the grate is facing the stern.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionally the grates face forward. These same pickups are used for bait tanks and generator, even main engine intakes.

I doubt that you would get much Venturi effect if placed facing aft.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I also did some more research checking out several other blog pages. Sounds like which way these grates face are akin to singles vs. twins or Ford vs. Chevy. Confused And also on how they are used. I think at this point I'm leaning towards repositioning the grate to face aft. I don't plan on using the washdown pump on plane, and I don't really need that extra pressure for anything else. If I ever decide to use it for something else, it can be always be repositioned again then. Colby
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked under my CD-22 and the grates on my wash down intake face aft, and it works just fine.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: