The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-22 without shore power - will I regret it? Easy to add?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wa500

City/Region: seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: C-Horse
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: C-22 without shore power - will I regret it? Easy to add? Reply with quote

I am considering buying a boat that does not have shore power. Will I regret not having shore power in the pacific northwest? Is it pretty easy to add?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to add. There are a number of ways to do shore power. Some are only for 15 amps. IF you want 30 amps, then a bit more expensive.

Go for it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shore power and Ive never used it in all these years. Our lights we use at night use very little power, and we tend to anchor out more than stay in marinas. That being said, if you have a bunch of power hungry accessories like a refrigerator, microwave, A/C all that stuff, it might be good to have.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat had shore power and an inverter when I bought it and I am actually taking it all out. Have never used it. Most accessories I use or anything I need to charge can be done with DC. We mostly anchor out and avoid marinas.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
We have shore power and Ive never used it in all these years. Our lights we use at night use very little power, and we tend to anchor out more than stay in marinas. That being said, if you have a bunch of power hungry accessories like a refrigerator, microwave, A/C all that stuff, it might be good to have.

My boat has 30amp shore power. We use it a lot. It's nice to have a fridge and AC. Also an onboard battery charger. The shore power inlet also makes it very easy to hook up a small generator to the boat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO shore power hookup on SleepyC, but I do carry a cord that will plug into the SP towers on the docks, goes to a surge suppressor on the boat end, and I can run a small electric heater, or 2 CPAPs if needed. In 15 years, I have used that system less than 10 times. Even at a dock, I have enough battery to run my CPAP for 2-3 nights without recharging.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shore power & though not used extensively over the years at times it became very useful even though we don’t have many high use electrical on board. Where it has been most useful is when having the boat at the Bridge Bay Marina docks on Yellowstone for weeks up to entire summers. On our extended Alaska cruises its use combined with the Honda 2000 generator & a ceramic heater allowed us to dry out the bedding & rest of the boat in combo with the Wallas & other times our only dry heat when the Wallas quit. Also when running the old Honda twin 40’s that combined only put out 20 amps, we could keep the batteries up by using the shore power linked to the generator to run the charger. Shore Power is certainly not a need for many, but I’m glad we have the option of its use for us.

Jay

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shore power and its nice to have if we are going to be parked for a few day at a dock but it is not something we do a lot . We anchor out a lot and we run and gun for fish a lot . So most of the day the motors are running and charging the batteries and running the fridge. If you sit still more you might need shore power or solar more or just run your main in neutral an hour twice a day. With modern 4 stroke you can't tell they are running most of the time and they burn so little at a idle. My 225 honda puts out 90 amps. my old honda 90 put out 40? amps? So do you need one or should get one is up to you but they are cheap and fairly easy to install. WE have also changed all of your inside, deck and anchor lights ( running lights it just does not matter because the motors running.) to LEDs.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you are going to do shore power, I would put in the "Smart Cord" version as opposed to the Marinco. Much less chance of getting a hot spot in the wiring that could go on and make a REAL MESS.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
IF you are going to do shore power, I would put in the "Smart Cord" version as opposed to the Marinco. Much less chance of getting a hot spot in the wiring that could go on and make a REAL MESS.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I replaced the older 30 amp Marinco Cord with a Smartplug several years ago. In the replacing, I could see where the old cord had some burned places around the metal connectors, that could have easily created an actual fire like have occurred in many of the older Marinco plugs.

Jay
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I would do the smart plug today if I was installing a new system.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note I take apart my older style plug every year or so and clean it. Cut out the last couple of inches of wire and rewire it to clean copper. You WILL get corrosion its just a matter of how much and when. If you disassemble cut and clean every two years you will not have a problem.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live without shore power up here in the PNW, but I sure am glad I have it. (OTOH, this is on a CD25 which is more likely to have 120v AC needs.) Many reasons really, but here are 4 from me:

1. Easy to hook up a small generator and power the several outlets or hard wired appliances while at anchor. There can be many reason to need 120v AC in the cabin for short periods such as microwave, laptop chargers, small vacuum, etc.

2. If at a marina in wet, wet weather, I can easily plug in an electric heater to dry things out, or to supplement not quite adequate onboard heat.

3. When at anchor I like to charge my batteries via a high amp smart charger off the generator rather than via the engine alternator. AC wiring makes it a non-issue to run the charger whether at home, at a dock, or off the generator.....it's all the same hook up.

4. When working on the boat at home (on the trailer) I can plug in power tools to any in-cabin outlet instead of a extension cord that has to snake its way in.

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years and years never had shore power on my boats, never missed it. Then bought a boat with shore power, love it. Usual benefits, heater, light, battery charger, fridge, etc. Would certainly miss it now.

Martin.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shore power, but we have never used it while cruising as we usually swing on the hook. I have also installed a good solar system to keep my batteries charged. We do not have air conditioning or refrigeration, so our consumption is fairly low.

I do use the shore power to keep my batteries charged when not cruising. You could get by well with the addition of solar panels and maybe carrying a portable battery charger and extension cable.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: