The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel fill very slow or it backs up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fontanacdory

City/Region: Bryson City
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ms Jill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Fuel fill very slow or it backs up. Reply with quote

2003 cruiser 22 have to fill fuel very slow and then it still backs up at least once , on both tanks . Vents seem to be open , can fell air when filling. Any ideas. Thanks mike.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Slow fuel fill is standard practice for the C-Dory 22. Listen, and watch the level in the tank as it comes up. You need to leave some space at the top, and when you are close, reduce the fill speed even more and you can get buy without the burp. Some marine fuel stations have adjustable fill pump speeds or valves that can help.

It is not like filling your pickup tank.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Midnight Flyer would do that if I didn't place the fuel hose nozzle in the tank in a certain position. And I think that position was with the nozzle handle facing the bow, parallel with the gunnel. Have you had this problem with Ms. Jill for sometime, or just recently? If just recently I would suspect some blockage, possibly in the vents. (Mud dobbers?) Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hi Mike,
Midnight Flyer would do that if I didn't place the fuel hose nozzle in the tank in a certain position. And I think that position was with the nozzle handle facing the bow, parallel with the gunnel. Have you had this problem with Ms. Jill for sometime, or just recently? If just recently I would suspect some blockage, possibly in the vents. (Mud dobbers?) Colby

Agree with Colby, the position of the hose and handle make a difference. Position as he said, with the fuel flow going aft-ward into the fill port.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...On the Molly Brown I have to do like Colby but in reverse. She only likes being filled with the nozzle grip facing aft, parallel to the gunnel. I always go slow and listen to the fill sound, in addition to holding a paper towel near the vent. As soon as she starts to spit I stop filling. Granted neither boat is a 22....

James

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally lame - mine has done it too, forever!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is the "S" the filler hose makes to get to the tank. When the hose starts to break down do to age, the bends can collapse a bit (and/or the hose starts to leak). Placing the fill nozzle pointing aft parallel to the gunwale can help. Another thing is to replace the filler hoses with a shorter one that has less bends in the "S".

The usual solution is to fill the last 1/4 of the tank slowly. Marinas with high flow nozzles can be a problem. You can hear the impending burp if you happen to be in fairly quite place when gassing up. You can also get more burps when filling on the water and the boat rocks.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel fill very slow or it backs up. Reply with quote

Fontanacdory wrote:
2003 cruiser 22 have to fill fuel very slow and then it still backs up at least once , on both tanks . Vents seem to be open , can fell air when filling. Any ideas. Thanks mike.

Do a search on this sight. This has been hashed out many times.
On my 91, 22" I had to cut off aprox. 2" of the 11/2 fill hose & reconnect it to the tanks to remove the kinks. Thumbs Up
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Part of the problem is the "S" the filler hose makes to get to the tank. When the hose starts to break down do to age, the bends can collapse a bit (and/or the hose starts to leak). Placing the fill nozzle pointing aft parallel to the gunwale can help. Another thing is to replace the filler hoses with a shorter one that has less bends in the "S".

The usual solution is to fill the last 1/4 of the tank slowly. Marinas with high flow nozzles can be a problem. You can hear the impending burp if you happen to be in fairly quite place when gassing up. You can also get more burps when filling on the water and the boat rocks.

I started filling my boat when it had only 80 hours on it, and the slow fill and burping has been an issue since the first fill.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: