Sta-Bil 2 year shelf life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Sta-Bil 2 year shelf life Reply with quote

I've used Sta-Bil for years and never had any fuel issues. Today, as I was getting things ready for spring, I read the label and noticed it's only good for 2 years. According to Dr Google, the code tells you when it was made.

"16264-87649-2233. This bottle based on the code was made on the 264th day of the year 2016. In the first five numbers, the first two numbers determine the year"

The bottle I had was..............old.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to know, I guess i need to get some MorStabil to treat my Stabil so it lasts longer
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that meant it treated the gas to last up to 2 years?? Maybe I didn't read the fine print.

Rob

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right, it does have an expiration date after it has been opened. I pay about as much attention to it as I do the expiration date on the Twinkies in the pantry.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
He's right, it does have an expiration date after it has been opened. I pay about as much attention to it as I do the expiration date on the Twinkies in the pantry.

Seriously, In my pantry "Twinkies" never ever even come close to their expiration date, and I buy them at Costco Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a person ate nothing but Twinkies and other foods high in preservatives and washed it down with Stabil, they could live forever...or at least 200 yrs
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
I wonder if a person ate nothing but Twinkies and other foods high in preservatives and washed it down with Stabil, they could live forever...or at least 200 yrs

But, if you only ate Twinkies, why would you want to?
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Finally - a break from talking about needles and vaccines! Reply with quote

Fellow Water Lovers,
I must confess, I have eaten a Twinkie that was more than a few years old, but only after being deep fried and then dipped in chocolate (the Twinkie not me). Here is a link to the in depth study done on that particular example of TwinkieHood done by the Smithsonian:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS823US825&sxsrf=ALeKk01scC4ki_LLmaKu8i61Ph-9s3HFrw:1617291276722&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Twinkie&safe=active&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifgLDAr93vAhWHuJ4KHaJEBEgQiR56BAgtEAI&biw=1920&bih=975#imgrc=6_J7r1FjscVx-M
If someone can tutor me on how to post a saved image to these lovely little ditties I will send them a full box of freshly minted Twinkies or should their addiction and deviancy know no bounds, an equivelent number of either Ding Dongs or Ho Hos. Please, there are children in the room, no talk of coconut coverings or other similar Hostess Heiracies from the Dark Side.
Bob Jarrard - Deep Inside the Twisted World of Carnal Food Pleasures
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I contributed a bit to a tour of a path into the debauchery of the "Twisted World of Carnal Food Pleasures". Sorry, a chocoholic I am. I read that every bite of chocolate decreases our lifespan by 2 minutes. I did the math, and figured I should have died in 1537. I might have messed up a little -- not much of a mathematician.

https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/snacks/donuts-snack-cakes/cakes/hostess-mint-chocolate-twinkie-10-ct/p/88810911411

Keeping priorities in order, I'll take a Mars Bar now, and then get back to more Stabil things.

I have a bottle of Sta-bil 360 Marine in hand, no mfg date that I can decode

BUT . . .

The top line of the back label, in the yellow strip above the "Bottle Opened Date" with the blanks to fill in reads :
"Product can be used for up to 2 years after bottle has been opened."
The third line down in the bullet point list just below that "Write in the date place" says . . .
*Stabilizes fuel for up to 12 months.

Not sure, maybe seems a bit confusing but I get that if we open the bottle, mark the date, we can use out of that bottle for 24 months and each use treats that tankful for 12 months. NOte that there are several versions of "STA-BIL". Blue, Marine 360, and Red so check your version and your bottle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, somewhere I've read or heard dark chocolate is good for you. That's my story and the one I'm sticking with! Mr. Green

Does one really care about stabil shelf life after opened? I normally use stabil at the end of the season, or after the Hontoon gathering, when I know it will be another month or two before the boat goes out again. I've never had any stabil left in the same bottle within a year of it's purchase! (With C-Traveler's 100 gal tank, I use the whole bottle in one shot. With Midnight Flyer and it's 40 gals storage capacity, I finished the stabil off within the year.) Colby
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colbysmith"
Does one really care about stabil shelf life after opened? [/quote]

When your a "Costco" shopper and have it put in your cart by a forklift because being frugal you think the bigger jug is a bargain,,,, Angry . If I delete this thread will I unlearn it and continue living in my blissful ignorance? Mr. Green

I am with you though Colby on the dark chocolate thing! Those weirdo's that eat white chocolate are just fooling themselves - its only cheap candle wax in a pretty wrapper! Cool

Happy Easter,

Rob
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahha, Dark Chocolate. It is at the top of my food pyramid. It is also in my ditch bag Shocked because it makes you feel good Cool and in further reading it adds to your life span, not subtracts, so no I am looking at about 2052.

As to Sta-bil, I use a large bottle each each year, added when I fill the tanks. Startron, on the other hand has no designated shelf life, and I add it in the Spring before I start to tow the boat, plus a gallon of fresh premium gas to help in washing it down the throat and mixing with the tank gas. That makes for no starting or running issues, ever.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Startron, on the other hand has no designated shelf life,

I guess I'm safe after all. Just went out to the shed and checked my jug. It is the blue Startron and not Sta-bil. It was what my marina recommended when they winterized my boat.
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the clarification Harvey,

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: