View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvlmal

City/Region: wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: annie R
Photos: Lil Toot
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: upgrade electronics Reply with quote

second c-dory first was a set 16 angler and now a 22 cruiser- want o update the electronics for fishing inland lakes
suggestions?
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a Marine Electronics store and play with all of the units out on the market. This is a very personal opinion market for what to choose. We are happy with our Raymarine Axiom 9 and the Raymarine Quantum for radar.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of fishing? deep or shallow water. If you are bass or walleye fishing its mostly shallow water ( less then 50 ft) If you are trout land locked salmon or stripers then its deeper lakes , at least out west. I ask because as much as I like the side scan and other live scan features their use for trout and salmon, even in fresh water , is limited and you can save money with a good down scan only set up. If you do not need radar or auto pilot you can save even more with a good stand a lone unit. As if you are looking for a screen out back just for fishing you might not want to two new units, one for in side and one for out, but one wifi unit and a pad of your choice. You can mirror one to the other and not buy two units. Lots to think about. So what is your real use and what is your budget. Then shop with in those two needs. There really are no bad units anymore just what set of features are useful to you. Do get a unit with at least mapping built in or on chip. I would love to go back and fish a bunch of lakes that I fished 20 years ago before good FFers and mapping.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to think about is touchscreen or no touchscreen. Some people like 'em and some don't. Keep in mind that using a smaller touch screen on a boat in rough whether may be different than the experience you get when playing with it in the store.

That said, more and more new units these days have touchscreens.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the go and see how easy they are to use. Figure what features you want. You don’t need the high end units. ]Garmin is most intutative for me. I currently have axiom ray marine. One is touch 9”. The other is 7” both knobs/keys & touch. They both take up the. Same space on the console.

I seem to see more complaints recently on Navico Products...may just be the higher end units?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Deeplake

City/Region: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: Deeplake
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the 43cv for cruising and fishing on Idaho lakes. Hope screen is big enough or I’ll have to buy stronger glasses! Wanted something small for the dashboard and easy to take out and store when boat parked in storage.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine has a nice and quick explanation on Fishfinder units that may be of help to you in the link below.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Fishfinder?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-dsanonb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4rrcy8ri7wIVQfbjBx2FZweJEAAYASAAEgKQyPD_BwE

It was worth the extra expense for us to get CHIRP Technology in our Axiom unit. CHIRP visually separates bottom dwelling fish from the ocean bed/floor. CHIRP transmissions allow more sonar power to penetrate deep into the water when compared to conventional sonar and increase detail and accuracy.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to a full service Marine Electronics store may not be easy, but it will be worth the investment. As mentioned, know your desired uses, and preferences. Touch screen seems cool, works easily on the lap top at home, but may become less desirable in 2-3 foot waves when you are bouncing between the cabin top and the helm seat. Size and number of instruments are all part of the equation. Take your time and choose carefully. Do your research.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: