The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Alternator output at slow speeds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from hondas web site my 225 makes 90 amp and my 15 kicker makes 12 amp. I fish on both depending on the current and conditions. I run 2 electric downriggers that are always moving up and down plus all the other electrical stuff most have and I have no problem with the 3 batteries on board staying charged when trolling for 6 hours at idle. I do not think that the rpm has anything to do with output and i have never noticed any heating problems after a 8 hour run at wot. But if you really need to know break out the volt meter and find out.

What motors do you have?

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just sent this question to honda corp help desk. lets see what they say. never hurt to ask the people that build them.

MODEL 225
SERIAL NUMBER
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU? My motor is rated to produce 90 amp, 60 for charging, is that at idle or wot?
TITLE* Mr.
FIRST NAME Tom
LAST NAME Elliott
EMAIL ADDRESS tom.elliott.fish@gmail.com
PHONE 4252206567
ADDRESS LINE 1 724 118th St Ne
ADDRESS LINE 2
CITY Marysville
STATE WA
ZIP CODE 98271
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - best idea ever!
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just remembered that I have ran all my battery's down once on my 22 and once on the 27, both times I pull started my kicker and recharged the batteries while idling. So there is enough out put to charge 2 dead batteries while at idle. Hope this helps
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pcg: I have 2 battleborn 100 amp hrs each. A Sterling 30 amp battery to battery charger. I have the Victron multiples 2000/80/50 inverter charger. I have a 10 amp dedicated Li battery charger (Chinese, monitors amps in & voltage. I monitor with victron 702 (would use 712 if doing today.)

Before I started on the Li path I followed the use in an RV got 10 years. Plus I read a lot. RV, boating, & off grid forums. The technology is changing. New products & sources of information are posted almost daily.

My Honda 150 puts out about 44 amps. I don’t want to use more than 30 amps. I have not been monitoring regularly, except that I have been close to 100 % S O G each evening.

Output of batteries fused at 350 amps. Location of batteries: under port side of The V berth.I cut 3” vent ports & snap discs at 100* f. Computer muffin fans. The inverter charger is on other side. Cables less than 4 ft. 2/00. 500 amp switch.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
... I read a lot. RV, boating, & off grid forums. The technology is changing. New products & sources of information are posted almost daily...

So true! Victron continues to evolve products and the current van boom in the U.S. is feeding that I'm sure. I wanted to use the Phoenix Smart Charger 1+1 to charge my start battery (3A) and the Li battery (50A) from shore power, but it's only available for 230VAC input. I thought to myself... this is too good of a product to not market to the U.S. So I contacted them - sure enough 120VAC version is coming soon.

And the information re. all aspects of using Li batteries that's becoming available... I can't keep up with it. Wonderful except I need more time. Wink

thataway wrote:
Location of batteries: under port side of The V berth.I cut 3” vent ports & snap discs at 100* f. Computer muffin fans. The inverter charger is on other side.

I think this is a great use of that space and now I'm planning to do something similar. As long as the area is vented and cooled with a thermostat-controlled fan everything should be fine. I wasn't even aware of the snap-disc thermostats. Thank you that idea - so simple! I'm thinking of mounting a 200Ah battery with pos fuse, pos switch and neg shunt under port side, and chargers (from alternator, shore power, and solar panels) under starboard side - all mounted on panels that can be easily disconnected and removed for modification or service. That leaves room for DC distribution behind the helm area.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Bob!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: