colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Breckhill River just off Plum Orchard offered a beautiful and calm anchorage over night. This morning we got up, and after Bill got his Kayak down and went over to check the dock out for me, I pulled anchor and headed over to the dock. Using the current to place me squarely on the end of the dock, it brought back memories of landing aircraft. (A soft bounce and then touchdown. lol) Walked around briefly on the island, looking at the Mansion that was built for and owned by George Lauder Carnegie until his death. Also saw one wild horse. Really not so wild as she was ok with us coming up closer than we should have for some photos. Did my good deed today as well. Walking across the grounds, found a pill bottle with some pain killers. Checked with the work crew that was rehabbing the mansion, and it belonged to one of them, who was happy to get it back. After the short walk and taking some photos, returned to the boat, and then continued taking the long way around on the Breckhill River. Some really pretty scenery. Back on the ICW, and almost finding some too shallow water again, continued along our way. (There was some shoaling near marker 63 which is just north of the south entrance to the Breckhill River. I went from 15 some feet of water to only 3 feet under me. Learned a cruiser that passed us earlier in a much larger boat wasn't as lucky and ended up limping in on only one engine to Firnandina Beach Marina. Past Kings Bay Naval facility again and think I found out what that weird structure was. According to the charts, it showed Degaussing Range. Googled that and it sounds like something to de-magnetize ships... Pulled into St. Mary's this afternoon and tied up to the town dock. Only allowed to be there for two hours, and no overnighting. We visited the Cumberland Island National Seashore museum which was interesting. Then stopped at Lang's Marina restaurant for dinner. Good food. And finished that off at the Market on the Town Square for Ice Cream! Pulled off the dock and now anchored just off the dock in the small bay area south of it. Tomorrow we'll stop at the Amelia Island marina to take on some fuel, and then see if we can make it back to the Jacksonville Free Dock. Something I forgot to mention earlier. Every day for the past 5 days, we've enjoyed watching the dolphins that we frequently see.

Bill and Rosanne in front of the Plum Orchard Mansion.

Rosanne and Bill checking out an exhibit at the museum.

More images in my nested album.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3256&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much to report today. We left our St. Marys anchorage this morning, and made our way along the St. Marys River back onto the ICW and then turned in to the Amelia Island Marina to put on some fuel. Then continued along the ICW tying up on the Jacksonville Free Dock once again for the night. This time there are two other large cruisers we are sharing the dock with. Saw many more dolphins today and the usual contingent of birds. One thing that intrigued me both ways, on the southern end of Amelia Island is a Kubota Excavator sitting on top dock pilings. Guess they use it to place the pilings. Also amazed at the length of the piers going out to some of the docks. I'm guessing some could be somewhere the length of 3 football fields. At the St. Marys mouth, we did go get a close up view of Fort Clinch. We continue to enjoy the scenery, and managed to once again not ground anywhere today. Although in a couple places found some skinnier water (4') if to far out of what seemed to be some narrow channels. The one thing I was disappointed about today is a photo opportunity I missed. While coming out the St Marys River we had a formation of two military helicopters come up our stern and fly right over the top of us. Wishing now I would have grabbed the camera and taken a photo! Colby

Fort Clinch

I'd be a little nervous operating that Kubota!

Egret enjoying the sights from the top of this tree.

Jacksonville Free Dock

Jacksonville Free Dock
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll just copy what Bill posted in his emails and paste it here: We left the Jacksonville Free City Dock and in less then a mile we left the ICW and were back headed up the St Johns River. Our destination was back to the Jacksonville Metropolitan Marina. It was only about 18 miles away so we were there before noon. We took advantage of the water hook ups on the dock and sprayed off the salt water that may have gotten on the boats from our travels on the ICW. I am pretty sure it made it up to about 80 today with a few high clouds early this evening. To that I'll add two exciting things today. One was being warned off by a security patrol boat. Shocked As you come out of the ICW into the St. Johns, there is a BAE Systems facility and a rather ominous looking gray military ship. At the same time we were next to that ship, a tow was turning into the ICW. I figured I'd give him plenty of room, sneaking over a little closer to the BAE facility and ship to take a few photos. As the security patrol boat starting coming towards me to defend his station, I did call him on the radio and let him know what I was doing. Also today, we watched two tugs reposition a fuel barge to ready for docking at a nearby fuel loading facility. Oh, and we met C-Play as he was returning from Hontoon. He turned around and we talked for a short bit over the radio, then he turned back on his course home. Once docked here at Metropolitan, Rosanne and I walked a little over a mile to a Harvey's Grocery Store in downtown Jax. Always good to get some fresh fruit and vegetables. Later this afternoon, it was time for me to get a hair cut, so Rosanne took care of that. Bill and I came up with a schedule for this last week Rosanne and I have here. Tomorrow Six Mile, Monday somewhere around Sisters Islands, Tuesday Salt Springs, Wednesday Silver Glen Springs, Thursday Hontoon. After that Bill will likely continue upstream on his own for another week or so. Friday Rosanne and I will likely do the Hontoon Loop and spend a few hours at Blue Springs. We have yet to see any Manatees on this trip, and hope to see some as we get closer to the Springs or Hontoon, and if not, at least at Blue Springs. We have seen a lot of Dolphins, as I saw at least one more today. Saturday morning it'll be time to pull out at Ed Stone and start heading back home. Not looking forward to our mixed weather in Wisconsin until summer finally settles in.
Some photos from today.

Not the greatest photo of the military ship at the BAE Systems facility, but already a little closer than security was comfortable with us being!

The tow we were staying out of the way of and the reason for going a little closer to the BAE Systems facility.

A closeup of the large container ship loading cranes.

A single crane

C-Traveler and C-Play with the Napoleon Bonapart Bridge in the background. Bill took this photo.

Pelicans on some bridge fenders. Another photo Bill took.

Sun setting with Mystery Girl and C-Traveler docked at Metropolitan Marina.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting kind of late, almost out of juice on the PC and need to get an earlier start tomorrow, so keeping this one a bit short. (IOW no photo uploads tonight.) Departed the Metropolitan Marina this morning and headed down to the dock at 6 Mile Creek. For the second morning in a row, was "waked" awake. (We had several fishing boats go by yesterday morning while on the Free Dock, in a no wake zone, the last one had to be plowing water!@$%.) With the weekend and more boats on the River, it was a little rocky on our docks just inside the entry to the marina, but did calm down at night. However, the River was very calm as we cruised the 30 miles today. Quite different from the chop we had coming down river last week. After arriving here at the 6 mile dock, which is falling into more disrepair, and getting the boats tied up, I got our kayaks down and inflated again. Bill got his Kayak down and then he and I kayaked down about 2.5 miles to a development near the Creek called the Trailmark at 6 Mile Creek. The HOA there had a great Kayak launch ramp with one of those facilities that you Kayak right up on and then can just step out of your Kayak. Worked better for Bill in his hard side Kayak, than it did for me with the Hobbie Inflatable. Went for a quick walk to find a Geocache I spotted with my Geocaching phone App. Bill actually spotted it first. Back to the launch and into and onto our Kayaks. Not long after launching and heading back to the boat, I managed to hit a deadfall pretty hard with the front fin of the Mirrage Peddle drive. Bent it back a few degrees. I need to reconsider what side rivers and creeks we boat or Kayak in. Two props and now a peddle drive. While I straightened it out the best I could back at the boat, I think I can straighten it out the rest of the way once I get back home and have access to my shop. No vibration at Kayak speeds, so I'm good. Mr. Green Bill recomputed the distance to get to 7 Sisters Islands tomorrow, and found it was a bit further than first figured. So we'll get an earlier start in the morning, and then just see how far we get. We've just been traveling at displacement speeds, usually around 6mph, +/- a mph depending upon current. No dolphin sightings today. Oh, however Bill and I did see an alligator a lot closer than we cared too. He dove in front of us while we were on the Kayaks, and then splashed again between us. Nope, no time to stop and get a picture, being in an inflatable! Shocked (Besides, after the second splash, we're not sure where he went, and didn't hang around to find out!) (How close? I think Bill could have reached out and touched him with half a paddle length!) Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From yesterday.

View of downtown Jacksonville as we leave, Bill and Mystery Girl heading towards the bridge.

Mystery Girl

Bill captured this shot of Rosanne reading on the back of C-Traveler

Tour Airboat passing Bill and I on 6 Mile Creek

Bill just stepping off his Kayak and this cool Trailmark HOA kayak launch facility on 6 Mile Creek.

Bill kayaking down 6 Mile Creek.

C-Traveler and Mystery Girl at 6 Mile Dock

My bent peddle drive. (Front fin bent back slightly.)[/url]
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again this evening, just going to copy Bill's words:
Some high clouds when we woke this morning in the 60’s overnight. We left the Six Mile Creek Dock and made our way out to the St Johns River and continued up river. For the first 3 hours or so the water was like a mirror with no wind. We went by Deep Creek, under the Highway 17 bridge at Palatka and past Corky Bell’s Seafood and Steak Restaurant. We went past Murphy’s Island. This time we stayed out in the main channel instead of using Murphy Creek. Not so windy and quite a bit shorter. We went under the open Buffalo Bluff railroad bridge and turned in behind the Seven Sisters Islands where we anchored for the night. Rosanne, Colby and myself took a 1 1/2 mile kayak ride around one of the islands after we anchored. We had the high clouds most of the day and it made it back up into the 80’s. We traveled 40 miles today.

Saw Molly Brown heading towards Jacksonville (Actually he saw us first), and chatted briefly on Ch72.

Mystery Girl with Kayak in tow.

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler anchored behind Seven Sisters Islands
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very serene night behind Seven Sister’s Islands, we pulled anchor and crossed the main St. John’s channel and entered the little channel around Stokes Island. There is a small ship building and repair outfit in there, St. John’s Shipbuilding. Some large boats are in behind the docks there and just seem kind of out of place this far in on the St. John’s River from Jacksonville and the Ocean. Continued south on the St. John’s River. Went behind Turkey Island to check out some of the homes near Welaka Springs. Passed by “The Palmettos at Fort Gates. Online I learned this is “a Victorian gothic home built in 1877 by the editor of the Putnam County Journal, and was purchased by a tourist cruising the St. Johns by steamboat. J. Monroe Taylor was so enamored by the sight of the property on a visit 1887 that he vowed to purchase the estate when he stepped off the steamboat. The next day, when the steam boat returned--The Palmettos had a new owner from New York. It was for sale in 1965 to the state of Florida for $125,000 but the state found that price much too high. The home and acreage were divided and auctioned. In 2001, the home and about 1 1/2 acres were purchased by a young couple intent on restoration. It appears from our view on the river that they were successful.”
Continuing upstream, rather than cutting between Drayton and Hog Islands, we stayed on the main St. John’s River channel. Lake George was a little choppy with winds out of the south. We crossed the bar with barely 2’ of water under our hulls and entered the Salt Springs Run. When we got here around 1:30, there were already maybe a dozen boats enjoying spring break and the beautiful day. Bill, Rosanne and I found places to anchor and then enjoyed the water and some kayaking. All the other boats were gone by suppertime and looks like we’ll be the only two boats in here tonight. Still haven’t seen any Manatee, however on our Kayak ride around here today we saw plenty of turtles and a small alligator.
Colby

St. Johns ShipBuilding

The Palmettos at Fort Gates

Salt Springs alligator

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler anchored in Salt Springs
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I’ve been following along on Bill’s shared In Reach & IPad Navionics & combined with your photos & write ups, almost like being there. I Really appreciate your sharing.

Tell Bill, I’ve not recieved any of his email sharings, but I’m liking the shared In Reach, which is actually better even than the Navionics.

Jay

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll let him know. We are having a great trip and he is hoping Alaska can happen next summer with you guys!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short travel day today, as we just traveled from Salt Springs to Silver Glen Springs. It was another serene night, with a beautiful sunrise. Just so peaceful when we have a place to ourselves. Being lazy once again, I'll just copy and paste most of what Bill wrote in his blog.

Sunny this morning and up in the sixties. It was only about four miles out of Salt Springs and another seven miles south on Lake George back to Silver Glen Springs. Within an hour of dropping anchor C-Otter, That a Way, Cat Claw, and a Cape Cruiser came into Silver Glen Springs just before lunch and spent some time with us. We passed them yesterday but did not see them while they were up Dunn Creek in Crescent Lake. That is as far north as they went after the C-Brat get together. I think they stayed at Seven Sisters or Welaka last night. They all left Silver Glen Springs after lunch and headed for the Volusia Marina up on Hitchens Creek at the South end of Lake George where they will spend the night. After some swimming Rosanne, Colby and myself kayaked down to the Springs saw lots of boats, a few turtles and gators. We will spend the night here. It stayed sunny all day and up in the 80’s. We only went about 11 miles today.

Because of all the boats in the main area of the Springs, Bill and I are anchored just outside that area in a smaller bay next to some boat docks. We are anchored with one other large cruiser, Millineum, that we met at Metropolitan Marina. Colby

Sunrise at Salt Springs

Rosanne and Bill checking out an alligator and turtle sitting on the same log.

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler anchored with another large cruiser at Silver Glen Springs
[/img]
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our vacation is slowly coming to an end. Somewhat of a warm night last night, but still quite serene in Silver Glen Springs. Will at least in that outside cove away from all the spring break boats. This morning we got up and left the Springs, traveled about 5 miles through Lake George, and then continued south on the St. Johns River. Winds were starting to pick up, but we were off the lake before it got too choppy. As we passed Hitchens Creek, Tom on C-Otter and his group were departing Volusia Marina. Over night with westerly winds, the Water hyacinth had blown into their channel so they had to plow through that to get back out on the main River. They fell in about a mile behind us, and we all continued to travel at about 5 kts. Bill and I stopped and weed anchored for lunch, while Tom and his group went on past. As we approached Ed Stone Park, we passed C-Otter and Tully-B on the restaurant docks near the park, and Bill on Mystery Girl continued on towards the Hontoon Dead River. This is where we parted ways. Bill will stay on the River another week, continuing to head upstream towards Deep Creek and Lake Harney. We pulled up to one of the docks in Ed Stone to offload some items to our pickup before continuing on to Hontoon State Park to spend the night. While at the dock we chatted some with another C-Brat who had just pulled his boat out. He had been traveling with C-Otter and group. On to Hontoon, where we visited with Tom & Joyce on C-Otter, and Lew and Doris on Catclaw, before they left to go join Bill in the Dead River. Here in Hontoon with us is Bob and Marie on That-a-way, Lee and Jan on Tully-B and Tad and Toby on Comfy Dory II. That-a-way and Tully-B were with C-Otter, but will be pulling out tomorrow. Comfy Dory II were traveling on their own after the C-Brat gathering that took place here last week, and they will also be pulling out tomorrow. Rosanne and I will cruise around here tomorrow on what is known as the Hontoon Loop, and stop at Blue Springs SP where many of the Manatees winter. We have yet to see any Manatees, so we are really hoping to see some tomorrow. Tomorrow night then we’ll likely anchor out near Ed Stone, and then pull out Saturday morning for our journey back home. Colby

C-Otter and his group going by us as we weed anchored for lunch

[url]

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler weed anchored

Stormy skies over the C-Dorys at Hontoon State Park
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening I am writing this, sitting on our boat, on the trailer, in a parking lot behind an Ocala Cracker Barrel. I guess that means our vacation on the water is over. Slept in today, and were the last C-Dory to leave the Hontoon State Park docks. It was a peaceful night. However, during the late afternoon we did watch two numbskulls go zipping by in the No Wake zone, then watched another idiot this morning. This has been an ongoing problem here for as long as I've been coming to the Hontoon gatherings. Anyway, Tully B got out before we got up, and then That A Way and Comfy Dory Too left shortly afterwards. All three of them were pulling out this morning and starting on their ways home. After a leisurely breakfast, Rosanne and I left the docks to do the Hontoon Loop. That's what we call the circle trip up the St. John's River, through an old logging canal, then back down on the Hontoon Dead River. We stopped for an hour or so at Blue Springs, where the Manatee winter over. This is the first time down here, where we didn't see a number of Manatee. Rosanne said she saw one this morning come up next to the dock, but only saw his snout. We did see two in Blue Springs, both with trackers on them. (The trackers look like really large fishing bobbers, and are tied to the Manatee's tail.) We had beached C-Traveler at the appropriate spot, and while we were only one of two when we arrived, there were several others when we left, and a few waiting to come in. We turned into the Snake Creek Cutoff to weed anchor and have lunch. A little cooler today, barely making it to 72, with a bit of a breeze. After lunch we continued through the old logging canal, also sometimes called Birdhouse Canal, although we didn't see any of the birdhouses this time, and then back down the Hontoon Dead River, back to Hontoon State Park. Saw several alligators, the usual number of turtles, and many Egrets with a few Herons and Ibis. Back at Hontoon, I had to buy a TieDyed Park ball cap, and we got some icecream. Decided to go ahead an pull out this late afternoon rather than waiting until first thing in the morning. That'll give us a head start for our 1300 mile drive home, and cut down slightly on the daily mileage for our schedule. As usual, this time on the St. John's River was very relaxing and mostly peaceful. The ICW and Cumberland Island was a new experience for us, and worth the trip. Colby
P.S. Late note. Forgot to add, end of trip stats. 420NM cruised. 107.4 gallons of gasoline burned. 4.7 kts average speed. (In fact, the only time I went up on plane was for a couple miles between Hontoon and Ed Stone park on the way out.)

Not the greatest photo, but you can make out the Manatees under the two trackers.

Scenery along the Snake Creek Cutoff, a little oxbow on the St. John's river just west of Blue Springs.

Looking west in the Birdhouse Canal. This canal is just barely 50 feet wide.

Your's truely, piloting us on the Hontoon Dead River.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last addition. 92 hours of run time on the main outboard.
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed following your adventures and photos. Happy to know you've learned how to truly "cruise". Traveling with Mystery Girl is a fine way to learn that skill. Looking forward to seeing you both at Camp Clowl
Pat
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo or DaNag,
I started this thread in general chat, but perhaps it should be moved to Grand Adventures, if you are inclined. Thanks. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: