The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin Honda 40’s to twin Honda 60’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 pitch ss props that worked so well on 6000 foot elevation Flaming Gorge & 3500 feet Lake Powell couldn’t cut it at 7733 feet Yellowstone Lake. Could make 28 mph, but at only 4600 rpm WOT, so back to the 14 pitch for there.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter I installed a new Raymarine axiom chart plotter & EV 150 auto pilot, Furumo radar & Honda nmea 2000 gauges. Today, I chose Bear Lake Idaho at 6000 feet elevation to make the first run of the season. The EV 150 autopilot works just like I was hoping it would & the engine fuel data for the Honda 60’s was impressive. 8.5 mpg on one motor at 6.1 mph. 5.5 mpg at 20.6 mph & 4.8 mpg at 24.4 mph. That by far beats the numbers on the old Honda 40’s. The 5.5 mpg at 20.6 mph was at 4000 rpm. All speeds from 14 to 22 mph was above 5 mpg. I had full fuel tanks, but other than that was running light on smooth water. It will be interesting to see how the numbers change when running our normal heavy extended cruise weights.

Jay
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 60s get over 4 mpg with a heavy load at 20mph, that would be wow for me.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive numbers Jay. Watch do you think about the new gauges?

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like them. Many choices & ways to view a multitude of information. I’ve just scratched the surface on how to do that, but the important stuff is easy & quick to view. I think one gauge would have given me everything I needed for the twins, but as I have both now, I’ll enjoy the slight benefit of having one for each motor & their sharing information between.

Jay
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This winter I installed a new Raymarine axiom chart plotter & EV 150 auto pilot, Furumo radar & Honda nmea 2000 gauges.

I will be looking forward to a report on your new electronics once you have done some long term cruising with your new system. My electronics and radar are all the original 2005 install and although they currently work reasonably well, they are near the end of their useful lifecycle and will need to be replaced soon. Everything from the cart plotter, auto pilot, fish finder and radar are Raymarine installed when the boat was new by EQ Marine.

I have been looking at the Raymarine Axiom system and it is quite impressive. I would stay with Raymarine if some other aspects of the older electronics would be compatible so that I did not have to do a 100% change over. But, if I did have to do a 100% change then I would look at some of the other systems as well.

It would be interesting to see your system and photos of your new set up.

The next time you drive to Alaska you are invited to stay on our ranch, we are right on the way.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy, my electronics were all 1999 to 2005. A 1999 JVC radar, Raymarine S1000 auto pilot & two 2005 Garmin chart plotters. I replaced the old 2000 VHF radio when it went out in 2015 on an Alaska cruise & the handheld in 2016. I do very little fishing, so kept the 2004 Hummingbird depth finder. I also kept the smaller Garmin 276 C chart plotter. I like it’s simplicity & accuracy. I also wanted to keep the new Axiom 9 inch chart plotter, just as a chart plotter in combo with the auto pilot, though it is capable of much more, so if desired all motor data, radar, fishing sonar & other uses can be brought up on it. The new Furumo radar is separate & WiFi connected to either the iPhone or iPad with ram mounts for both. The nmea 2000/raymarine seatalk combo network interconnects the components of the auto pilot, chart plotter & data from motors & gauges. I do have remotes that work well for the auto pilot & windless.

This shows the nmea 2000/seatalk combo network. Lots of electrical stuffed into a small space, so for me anyway, only so much clean up of the rats nets possible.

I will update as more is learned about the new additions.

Your invite to the ranch is appreciated & hoping a visit there works out.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m into this summer’s SE Alaska cruise almost 900 miles now on a very heavily loaded boat. The new chart plotter, radar, auto pilot & radio have all worked out extremely well. The AIS info from the radio is a great addition, though the constant warnings in congested areas irritating. The only trouble on the trip with any systems was a a bad fuse holder for the sonar.

The more I run these twin Honda 60’s the more I like them. Power to spare when needed & great fuel economy for the 90+ percent of the time I’m running at displacement speed on one motor. Averaging 6.1 mpg on this cruise so far. On plane mileage varies from 3.7 to 4 mpg, when topped off on water & 84 gal of fuel plus 6 gal diesel & 4.5 to 5 mph when low on fuel & water, but still very heavy overall. 6.5 mpg at displacement speed, running about 6 smpg at 2200 rpm. With normal, not extended cruising weight on boat, I was averaging over 8 smpg at same speed. Wind & tides have extreme effect on milage & much of the time difficult to get their benefits & avoid the negatives, though when possible, I do. So far on this cruise, the tides & winds have worked against more than for us, hopefully that will average out more for us on the miles remaining.

Jay
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. It sounds like it's working out really well for you on your trip. 4 mpg is good in a 22 with that load. In my opinion, if one is repowering, the 60s are a no brainer for folks trying to move heavy loads around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: