The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

opinions needed please - trim tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droz

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Shark
Photos: C shark
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: opinions needed please - trim tabs Reply with quote

I Need some advice on trim tabs selection. I have been lucky enough to recieve a gift of brand new Bennett Trim tabs 18x9 for my 22 ft CDory. From my research it looks as though this is Bennetts recomedation for a 19-24 ft boat but I see on here that most are going with 12x12 I have limited space due to the kicker so a 9" chord is a must. However, the boat guy who is installing them suggest going 12x9 electric and says 18x9 will be too big for my boat making them very sensitive. Any thoughts on size and hydaulic vs electric would be greatly appreciated! My boat is in the shop and I have these on had so I want to just get it done but I don't want to put on he wrong thing!
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask TabMan at
http://www.thehulltruth.com/tabmans-trim-tab-discussion-15/

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droz-

The 18 by 9's = 162 square inches while the 12 x 12's = 144 sq. inches.

The 18 x 9 are 1.125 (= 1+1/8 th) times as large as the 12 x 12's but the 12 x 12's are longer with more leverage. From this point of view, I'd say it's a wash, unless someone who has had both can say differently.

The trim tabs not only trim the boat, but also add planing area to the hull and help the boat begin planing earlier and plane at lower speed. I think the difference would be moot, here, too.

Bennett trim tabs have been the Gold Standard among trim tabs for years. Tom, the technical advisor at Bennett, is a legend among long time boaters for his helpfulness and accommodation.

The Lenco electric trim tabs had some water intrusion problems initially at the shaft seals, but the manufacturer seems to have solved those problems. Salt water was particularly a problem, as were boats left (moored) in the water for long periods. Personally, I'd still prefer hydraulic tabs for moored boats and heavy salt water use, but you could take your choice and probably be OK. Note: The Bennett trim tabs on my Sea Ray have been in the water continuously at Shasta Lake for 24 years and are still working fine!

If you were going to install them yourself, the electrics would be easier, as all you have to bring through or over the transom is small diameter (comparatively) wiring. The hydraulic tubes are larger, but most of the difficulty comes when you have to install the pumps back in the transom area, down behind and under most everything else imaginable (!) Can you say: #@*&^!?*#!!! Laughing

Good Luck, more comments will follow!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
The hydraulic tubes are larger, but most of the difficulty comes when you have to install the pumps back in the transom area, down behind and under most everything else imaginable (!) Can you say: #@*&^!?*#!!!

Ha ha - I'm just taking a break from the last stages of installing my Bennett Sport 120 tabs - attaching the tubing to the HPU. Tricky part is that where I wanted to mount it, I can't fill it (not enough clearance to remove plastic "lid"). So.... it's a case of tight installation making it a bit of a pain. However, from what I have read, one does not have to fill the reservoir but once in a blue moon, so I felt it would be worth it in order to mount the HPU in an out-of-the-way location. I did consider making a hole in the side of the plastic cover with a rubber plug, for filling!

To the good, I have been the beneficiary of the "legendary" Bennett/Tabman customer service, and I can say it is worth the superlative. Simply amazing. If the tabs are even half as good as the customer service I'll be happy Thumbs Up (and from what I read here, the Sport 120's are almost "made for" the C-Dory 22 in terms of a match).

Sunbeam
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droz,

You will really like having trim tabs. As to which ones, put the quarter in the air. AS Joe said, Bennet has been the go to system for most of teh C-Dory's. Mine came with Lenco. Going on 7 years and no problem EXCEPT they are not big enough. Mine are about 8 wide by 10 long and and one of my still to do projects is to lengthen them. Cant go wider due to my twin 40's, and transducer, but looonnnnggggeer would work.... and make them more effective. Until I am at about 12 knots, there is hardly any effect. Sounds like your shop guy is putting them on sideways Laughing make sure that he ACTUALLY, REALLY DOES dig out the core and bed those screew or bolts so there is NO water intrusion.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Tabman

City/Region: Mount Pleasant
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: opinions needed please - trim tabs Reply with quote

droz wrote:
I Need some advice on trim tabs selection. I have been lucky enough to recieve a gift of brand new Bennett Trim tabs 18x9 for my 22 ft CDory. From my research it looks as though this is Bennetts recomedation for a 19-24 ft boat but I see on here that most are going with 12x12 I have limited space due to the kicker so a 9" chord is a must. However, the boat guy who is installing them suggest going 12x9 electric and says 18x9 will be too big for my boat making them very sensitive. Any thoughts on size and hydaulic vs electric would be greatly appreciated! My boat is in the shop and I have these on had so I want to just get it done but I don't want to put on he wrong thing!

I will leave the "what brand is better" discussion to the others since I am a bit biased Very Happy

Having larger (appropriate) sized Trim Tabs is always the best way to go. 18 x 9 is not too large as long as they are at least 8" away from the centerline of the outboard's lower unit.

They will not be "over sensitive", and will allow you to keep the boat trimmed at lower speeds than the 12 x 9. It's worth noting that the larger Trim Tabs will actually generate less drag than the smaller ones since they will create more lift when deflected to a shallower angle.

Lastly, when properly installed the trailing edge of the Trim Tabs will angle above the bottom of the hull when they are fully retracted. This raises them above the waterflow, and lets the boat ride bow high when you want it to, such as in a following sea.

I hope this is helpful.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting new electric tabs on my boat, because I want to do away with the hydraulic reservoir and also I want the switches with the tab indicator position. The old tabs were 12 wide by 9 long, and I was thinking about getting the same size for new, but after reading tabman's post I am thinking 12x12.
Quote:
It's worth noting that the larger Trim Tabs will actually generate less drag than the smaller ones since they will create more lift when deflected to a shallower angle.

My only concern is if the extra length is going to interfere with the twins while turning hard? Anybody have 12x12s and twins? My engines and tabs are off the boat right now, so I can't 'go look.'
Oh yeah, I don't have permatrims on the boat, and will NOT be installing them...

Thanks

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 12 x 12. Make a cardboard template and see if there is any interference.

I have about an 8 x 9 and have often thought about modifying them to be a full 12 inches long to get increased effect. I have Yami 40 twins and pretty sure there would be no impingement issues.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response harvey. I think I will go with the 12x12. I can't make a cardboard template right now because my motors are not on the boat.

Anybody else have any insight to add?

Thanks
Hellsranger

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Golden Heart
Photos: Golden Heart
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

I have a 22 cruiser that came without perma-trim or trim tabs. I installed a perma-trim and that helped somewhat for bow up/down, but still had to move crew to trim boat. I added Lenco electric 9 x 12 trim-tabs the following season and wow, it became an entirely different boat. Huge improvement in all sea conditions. Using the trim-tabs I can put the boat quickly on plane and trim side to side with out having to move ballast or crew. I can watch the speedo and tweak the tilt on the motor to get maximum hull speed from a given rpm, the perma-trim really channels that thrust nicely. Trim-tabs coupled with a perma-trim is the perfect set up for me. I don't have a kicker but do have a swim step, the Lenco tabs fit nicely with out modification. Pictures in my gallery
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had lenco tabs on both the 22 and now the 27. would not go with out them and have had zero problems with them. I do like he electric over hydraulic because of room saved and never having to deal with leaks.

but these are not your only two options. Take a look at zip wake. a lot of the bigger alum boat builders are now using them. Saves space as they do not stick out from the hull but protrude down ward. Look them up its different but not new way to do it. Zip wake just copied what Volvo tried to do 30 years ago but the old design was not ready for prime time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: