The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Caulking Cockpit Floor - LifeCaulk over Butyl Tape?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only repaired our steps. I did not remove the main hatch nor fuel tank. So far I have no need to.

You'll probably find rotten balsa in the step/hose covers. Also take the time to back-cut and seal the balsa core for the deck itself where the round inspection hatches are installed. If it's like ours, the balsa core was exposed there too. I used West Systems epoxy and 3M 4000 as you noted.

Pics in our album.

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to pull the cockpit floor next year. Two ideas I was thinking about:

A rubber gasket with no adhesive, that could be tapped into place after the floor is in place. One that would compress when fit into the gap by tapping?

Also, could you apply wax to the two surfaces that any bonding agent my adhere to, thus reducing the strength of the bond significantly? Then you could use a product that would otherwise adhere and make a nice seal that could be peeled off with relatively less headache? Just some ideas...

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesR wrote:
I'm looking at performing this same process of removing and re-sealing the cockpit steps/hatch over the fuel tank on our boat and have a few questions for those of you who have already completed it:
- Did you remove the fuel tank and check/clean under it also? If so, how heavy/unwieldy is the [empty] tank?
- Sounds as if 3M 4000 is the consensus sealer for this application. Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Les

The removal of the cockpit steps/access to the fuel hoses is far different than removing the center floor. All C Dory 25's with these steps should have the stops removed and checked. It is not necessary to remove the floor, unless you have soft places and want to rebuild it--even then you can rebuild the floor without removing the "removable" part of the deck.

There seem to be few of these tanks replaced. But with a 18 year old boat and fuel tank, if the boat is used in salt water, then it would be prudent to at least look at the bottom of the tank. Ideally the tank should have been properly prepared, coal tar epoxy coated and then laid on fiberglass strips with 5200 holding both the strips and tank in place. No rubber containing any carbon should touch the tank. (Silicone rulers are OK for straps)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my 2005 CD25 did have to have its fuel tank replaced (indeed there was gasoline in the bilge) in less than 10 years. Also, I used to get fresh water running down the inside of the hull and collecting on the cabin sole. The source of this water turned out to be (as Dr Bob suggests) leakage under the steps in the cockpit (from rain and wash downs). The steps had been poorly attached by the factory -- especially if you consider the flexing the steps are subject to as you use them. Removing the steps, cleaning up the old caulk, designing beefed up attachment hardware, reinstalling, and recaulking fixed the problem.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the cockpit sole, mentioned somewhere before. I could not pull the tank because: one had to remove the fill and vent hoses, which are hard to get to; the tank is held in place by a rear stop (2x4) epoxied to the bottom and I felt if I removed those impediments, the tank would have a hard time coming out of the space allotted.

I did inspect the bottom of the tank with a inspection mirror to make sure that there were no obvious problems. Noticed the fuel tank cavity is open to the bilge and when there's water around the aft bilge pump, that water sloshes up around the tank.

Concentrated my efforts in preventing water from entering the bilge by installing watertight hatches and sealing the coaming pockets. Works well.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: