View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: New Trailer Options Reply with quote

My 2005 Angler 19 with a Honda 90 rides on a 2005 Shore Landr single axle trailer without brakes. I do a lot of towing over 500 miles each way and am thinking about a new trailer. I always empty the boat before trailering, but I do usually fill up before I head out. It’s so much easier to start with full tanks at launch.

When I add up the boat, motor, fuel, non removable gear, and trailer, I’m pushing 3,000 pounds. This is the threshold for needing brakes in most states. I would also like the safety offered by tandem axles.

So, I’m looking at aluminum tandem axle trailers with surge brakes. I tow with a 2017 Toyota Tundra 4wd pickup so the weight isn’t an issue. Braking is very good without brakes now. The surge brakes would “check the box” for state requirements and offer some additional braking. I don’t think it’s worth going to electric over hydraulic for a 3,000 pound load.

I understand that I will need to disable the surge brakes when backing.

I’ve been very satisfied with my current trailer brand - Shore Landr. It has four flexible wood bunks that carry the load. It also has a bow roller. Replacement parts are easy to find online for this brand of trailer.

Here is my question. Many of the trailers come with two very beefy bunks rather than four flexible ones. Some also come with two additional rigid bunks further forward. Is it best to stick with the current four across bunks rather than the staggered two rear, two forward arrangement.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences with replacement trailers. Also, if you have had luck with other brands, let me know!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new" trailers with the "beefy bunks" are made mostly for "deep V" hulls, and have to be modified for our flat bottomed boats.

It is definitely better to have a trailer designed for two axles than add on one. We like the Road Lite with the "target bunks" forward for the 25's. Float on, also makes a good trailer. I had a "Sport Trail" made in Bay St. Louis, Miss. which was an outstanding trailer.

I like the 4 flat aft--and maybe add a target bunk for loading--it does not have to take load when you are trailering--my 25 rides about 1/2" above the target bunks when on the trailer.

Is the 3000 lbs a guess, or have you actually weighed the trailer and boat? In Florida you have to have brakes on all axles for any load over 3000#. My 18' center console Catamaran is just under 3000# on its single axle trailer--and I am sure the C Dory 19 is more weight.

For flat land towing the surge brakes are great. The place where the E/H brakes shine is in the mountains. The surge trend to drag as you use either truck brakes or engine compression to keep the rig slowed down. This leads to heating, and potential bearing issues. That is the reason I put E/H on the last 22 I owned.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to the east coast to pick up a C-Dory and discovered the trailer was in poor condition. Charleston Trailer in SC built a new custom 4-bunk tandem trailer with flexible wooden bunks for me and I couldn't be happier. It has surge disc brakes on all four wheels and I will upgrade to E/H soon as I will be using it in mountainous terrain. I had to go with surge activation because I was on a tight schedule and couldn't wait for the E/H parts to be delivered. It automatically deactivates the brakes while in reverse. They built this trailer in one day after I called them the night before. Top notch quality and service. They used a design they already have for 22' C-Dory. If they don't already have one for your boat, they will design one. I don't think they are too far from you. Highly recommended... www.charlestontrailer.com
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've used that brand trailer since 2005 (or someone has)? You've been happy with the board setup on the trailer? You want 2 axles and brakes? It sound like all those answers are yes, so why wouldn't you start there?

Call Shore Landr, see what they recommend, and go from there. If they recommend changes, evaluate the suggestions then. They know more about boat trailers than me and you (I assume.) I also assume you'll have to order that through a dealer after Shore Landr and you agree what you want.

Just another thought, i like roller trailers. Roll off, roll on. Shore Landr offers them.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, I'm not so sure about trailer manufacturers knowing what's best. Or at least what's legal. On my recently purchased brand new Load Rite, I ordered it with Electric over Hydraulic brakes. DOT requires a 9ah battery for the break away battery. (Something about the actuator being able to work for 15 minutes with that battery.) Load rite installed a 5ah battery since that is all the regular electric brakes ever needed. Once I asked them about it, they put the engineers to work to figure out how to fix it.... I don't know if they ever figured it out, but I did inform my contact there that I ended up just adding a second 5ah battery in parallel... Rolling Eyes

Patrick, I added two bunks to the two that came with my EZ Loader when I purchased my 22 used. Felt the boat should have more support. However, with my 25, I'm satisfied with just two bunks under it. I just purchased a new Loadrite, and it seems beefy enough to support the boat. In any case, I believe bunk trailers are the way to go. They might load a bit different than a roller, but they provide better support, and from my brief experience with a roller trailer, are actually easier to load and center the boat. I also think either electric or electric over hydraulic will give you a lot more control of your trailer's braking, and therefore a safer system. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that bunk trailers offer possibility of more support under the hull than rollers, even if there are a lot of them. I am also a believer that 4 bunks are better than 2, and that there should be support by all 4 at the transom. Also, it seems that the bunks when flat to the hull provide better support over greater area than when turned up on their narrow edge.

Just FYI, I really think the Pacific trailers are very hard to beat. Well designed, well built and the customer service and support is spectacular.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/

I had my boat on Paul's trailer while I replaced and recovered my bunks.
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think you will be really happy with whatever new trailer you get as long as it is study enough, has brakes, and fits the boat. There have been lots of good comments from well meaning folks, but there is such a thing as overkill. With a light CD 19 I think I'd be comfortable with keeping your trailer (if it is serviceable) and just adding some brakes to it - especially where you live. FYI, many axles are already set up for brakes, but don't have any for a variety of reasons. All you will be doing is bolting on the brake backing plate, getting new hubs that accept a rotor or drum, running brake lines, and adding the cylinder at the tongue. Or, you could just buy an axle all ready to go and swapping out axles isn't hard at all. It's pretty much all bolt on stuff you can do yourself if you like doing that. Anyway, lots of shops will do this work for you as well and it is something I'd consider in your shoes. If your trailer is solid you'd be thousands ahead going this route.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: