HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Life at anchor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Life at anchor Reply with quote

I am searching for a new to me boat. I have lots of experience in all kinds of boats under way, but most of my anchoring experience comes from multi hull sailing vessels that are very stable. How does a 25 CDory ride on the hook. Is it relatively stable or rolly? Thanks for your thoughts.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for a 25, but my 22 holds well on the hook, but I prefer to stern tie when I have the option. I find that if you are in a small anchorage like in the PNW with some light wind the boat tends to move more than the other boats due to the flat bottom. Sitting in the cockpit made me more seasick than in any rough water. The boat is quite stable even in the wind and does not rock much, probably due to the flat bottom.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Life at anchor Reply with quote

Coach07 wrote:
I am searching for a new to me boat. I have lots of experience in all kinds of boats under way, but most of my anchoring experience comes from multi hull sailing vessels that are very stable. How does a 25 CDory ride on the hook. Is it relatively stable or rolly? Thanks for your thoughts.

25 is Not rolly on the hook. Don't anchor in 6' swells with wind chop. Wink Thumbs Up
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Corsair F27 when we ordered the CD-25. I used a bridle when anchoring the Corsair, and it sat pretty good. The flat(ish) bottom on the CD-25 is not "rolly" at anchor (like a v-hull that size tends to be), but it does sail around a bit. You can control that somewhat by putting a rolling hitch on the anchor rode and running the end of that back to the mid or aft cleat. I don't mind the "sailing at anchor" as long as it isn't interfering with other anchored boats. You can also run two anchors off the bow to control that swing.

Hope that helps.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can control that somewhat by putting a rolling hitch on the anchor rode and running the end of that back to the mid or aft cleat.

This sounds very interesting. I would like to learn more about this. Could you explain more about this.

Thank you in advance.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've spent part of 15 years on a 25 C-Dory. And that time has been spent anchoring out some of the while. I'll give you a couple of comments.

First of all, the C-Cory is a small boat no matter how you look at it. It's has an 8' 6" beam for a purpose, it's trailerable. And second, a v-berth is prone to bouncing when the boat rocks. Third, it's not fair to compare a small mono-hull with a catamaran. If, for you, that's a fair comparison, best you buy a catamaran.

That said, I can remember only a couple of incidents where the boat rolled enough to really catch my attention. Once we went to Santa Cruz Island, off Santa Barbara and spent the weekend rolling. In Smugglers Cove, there was one night where we couldn't sleep at all. I tried making a bridle off the anchor rode, but the swells caught the boat just right.

However, we've anchored out many times and enjoyed the peace and tranquility of quite anchoring. That includes places from the Great Lakes, the Pacific Northwest and San Diego Bay. So, one can just accept the C-Dory for what it is and live with the few times it isn't.

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Quote:
You can control that somewhat by putting a rolling hitch on the anchor rode and running the end of that back to the mid or aft cleat.

This sounds very interesting. I would like to learn more about this. Could you explain more about this.

Thank you in advance.

Once the anchor line is out, tie a rolling hitch onto that just beyond the anchor roller. Let out another 5 or 6' of line. Take the bitter end of the line you just tied and run it back to a cleat further aft (outside the bow rails). Pull that line until you get an angle that feels comfortable and cleat it off. Instead of sailing back and forth with the wind, you've taken the boat just off the wind. As it pulls one way, that line you led aft works on the main rode to keep the boat in place.

We learned that with our sailing trimaran, with the anchor rode off the main bow and another line tied to that with a rolling hitch (allows you to untie, even under pressure) to an aft cleat. It's a bit more work, but it really calms that sailing at anchor.

If you aren't in an area with sea grass (protected in most places), you can drop a second, lighter anchor off the stern, with less rode, knowing it is going to drag back and forth. That will slow the movement.

Last option for us: putting two anchors off the bow about 60º apart. That meant hauling one out in the dinghy for us. Even more work, so only in a crowded anchorage... taking care that our scope and swing didn't impact other boats.

If the wind and water conditions are such that that doesn't work, time to look for a more protected anchorage. If that isn't possible, one of you is going to get a sleepless night. What always worked for me was saying to Joan, "I sure hope that anchor holds," right before turning in... she would take the first watch. Wink
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach,

Maybe you should check out the C-Dory Tom Cat 255 if you want the stability of a cat that you can trailer anywhere on the continent 24/7 without a permit.

Some complain about wavelet slap at anchor due to the relatively low bridgedeck, but it doesn’t bother us at all, and the berth is much bigger. In most of Florida, you can just sand beach it on an outgoing tide for no rocking, rolling, sailing, slapping or anchor dislodging worries...until the tide comes back in.

Best,

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the type and size of boat the C Dory 25 is a reasonably stable boat. Ref Boris's experience at Sant Cruz, I have been in large sailboats which have been uncomfortable at Santa Cruz.

Where are you planning to anchor where there will be significant swells? It is the custom in may parts of the World to anchor fore and aft with the bow into the swell.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22 and don't think it's any more rolly than other similarly sized boats - perhaps less due to the flat hull. But I definitely find she sails on the hook. I'm excited to try JamesTXSD method.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about a 25 but we had not problems at anchor in the 22 unless some one plowed thru the moorage and we got hit on the beam. But anything is going to roll in that condition.

Our 27, more like a 25, does have a problem at anchor in a wind. Its even worse when we are both in the v berth. The dam boat fish tail side to side about 10 ft in a good blow or even a heavy current. I think is a form of bow steering with such a flat hull. Our 1984 hull is dead flat. tying off the side cleat to 5 ft in from of the bow on the anchor line helps a lot. Its really annoying. Starts at a left to right swing every 30 seconds but as the wind builds it can get to every 5 second. If there is current a bucket or a sea anchor off the back helps a lot.

Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Hopefully, I will be posting as a new owner soon!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info. YES, a C-Dory is a flat bottom boat with a nice cabin, good for living in and for catching some wind. Hey, it's a boat. If you want something rock solid, stay at home in a house. But, as mentioned, there are ways to mitigate the swing, or you can choose to enjoy it. Nothing like changing the scenery once in a while. Laughing

22 and 25 anchored side by side. Pretty much the same motions.
HarveySleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
... If you want something rock solid, stay at home in a house ....

Some places aren't all that rock solid. Even if you are in a house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: