The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Converting to Oil Fill Bearings????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about converting over to oil bath on my C-Dory trailer. I just read several reviews on the amazon kodiak oil bath conversion and the same kit on etrailer and people are complaining about oil leaking from the inner seal.

I think the oil bath EZ loader kit is better. I ordered replacement seals for my Ranger Tug trailer and talked to a tech in the parts department. He talked me through the process.

The important thing to make sure no leaks, he said, was to use some red RTV sealant on the surface where the seal goes into the hub, on the threads of screw on cap and on threaded filler plug that screws into outer part of hub.

So far, so good on that trailer and a whole lot easier and cleaner to do periodic maintenance. I also really like the ability to see the oil. On one of the hubs, I noticed milky looking oil and that caused me to change it out.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pressed in hubs are a tight fit. I’ve never had one come off. And to remove it to remove a wheel or bearing you have to gently knock around it with a hammer while also prying on it. The only time I lost oil was in the parking lot at Bullfrog on Lake Powell when someone must have gotten their trailer to close to mine and broke the plastic cap off. I carried spares! Colby
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
The pressed in hubs are a tight fit. I’ve never had one come off. And to remove it to remove a wheel or bearing you have to gently knock around it with a hammer while also prying on it. The only time I lost oil was in the parking lot at Bullfrog on Lake Powell when someone must have gotten their trailer to close to mine and broke the plastic cap off. I carried spares! Colby

Colby
Have you removed the press in caps for maintenance since you installed them? I am just wondering how hard or easy they are to get off without damage. The bearing buddys work the same as far as installation and removal. I have found that sometimes I have really had to get brutal with them to get them off. this can cause some dings to the stainless steel bearing buddy and if it looks bad I will usually replace it.
With the softer Aluminum Billet Kodiak oil bath cap I would be concerned that it might get dinged during removal causing the threads for the plastic cap to be untrue.
The one time I lost a brand new bearing buddy, I was in shock. I had to beat that thing on so hard I figured I would destroy it if I had to remove it. Then it fell off 20 miles later. I put on another one and it has been fine ever since. The other three I had no problem with. I have also done this many times before with no problem. I still haven't figured that one out.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve dinged a few, but just cosmetic. Using a rubber or wood mallet works better than a metal hammer. And being gentle with the screwdriver used for prying. I’ve also used a larger pliers with rag wrapped around the oil hub body. Colby
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a trailer with oil bath hubs, until now, but have known about them for years.

We have been satisfied in using a previous boat trailer that had bearing buddies installed. The only problem in using bearing buddies is the constant grease splatter that builds up over time on the outside and inside of the trailer wheel.

Our two current boat trailers have oil bath hubs and we are very satisfied with the use of them. If you put a lot of miles on your trailer, consider going with oil bath hubs. The condition of and the level of the oil in the unit is easy to observe because of the sight glass window on the outside of the hub.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to remove the pressed in oil bearing adapters, take the hub to a auto machine shop. They have (or should have) an expanding tool that will fit inside the pressed in adapter and will yank that sucker right out.

If one beats it off with a hammer, there's risk of damaging the aluminum: dings, gouges, flat spots, etc.

Boris
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I have had more trouble with trailer bearings than I deserve. I heard you had to change out the hub to run oil bath because the outer cap is threaded. True?

False.
The Kodiak kit that I installed 10 years ago has worked perfect. The kit comes with an alu. press fit hub cap with a threaded outer end that a semi clear cap (with "o" ring) screws on to. I went from having to pack bearings every year to checking out of guilt every 2 yrs. Oil bath hubs have been in use in the trucking/equipment industry for 100 yrs. or so.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
tsturm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
If you want to remove the pressed in oil bearing adapters, take the hub to a auto machine shop. They have (or should have) an expanding tool that will fit inside the pressed in adapter and will yank that sucker right out.

If one beats it off with a hammer, there's risk of damaging the aluminum: dings, gouges, flat spots, etc.

Boris

Use smaller monkey & smaller hammer. Wink Thumbs Up
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:
I have had more trouble with trailer bearings than I deserve. I heard you had to change out the hub to run oil bath because the outer cap is threaded. True?

False.
The Kodiak kit that I installed 10 years ago has worked perfect. The kit comes with an alu. press fit hub cap with a threaded outer end that a semi clear cap (with "o" ring) screws on to. I went from having to pack bearings every year to checking out of guilt every 2 yrs. Oil bath hubs have been in use in the trucking/equipment industry for 100 yrs. or so.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I'm interested and sold! The only that has stopped me is changing out hubs. So, Amazon? 6 Robbers? Trailercraft? White Spruce?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon. Two sizes. The smaller one fits 5 lug and the larger fits 6 lug. Generally. The included seal may or may not fit and that’s the most important part. I can look later at what size fit my Ez Loader under Midnight Flyer. But it’s the original rubber coated seal that came on the trailer. The kit seal is too big and that’s why some of the negative reviews. Colby
tsturm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested and sold! The only that has stopped me is changing out hubs. So, Amazon? 6 Robbers? Trailercraft? White Spruce?[/quote]

Six States / Robbers, I use permatex anaerobic sealer on the alu. cap to hub joint (just to make it harder to remove) Thumbs Up You don't need the Kodiak oil the second time any 80-90 gear oil is fine. Take a set of dial calipers and measure YOUR spindles as there is 2 seal choices (same o.d. different i.d.) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Go to your favorite Hyd. store and get a few extra cap "O" rings. Wink
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Google search for the Kodiak hubs I needed, with part number. Picked the cheapest, some place on e-bay. Arrived from Florida in a couple of days. Free delivery, no state tax. Fit perfectly.

One might ask for an extra layer of wrap; mine arrived with no dings, but some holes in the wrap.

I also changed out the brake lines, since they were corroded. Used stainless steel tubes from a local tube shop. They replicated all the solid lines as well as the flexible hoses.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: