The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

dielectric grease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: dielectric grease Reply with quote

Im about to replace my battery switches and realize there is a good amount of corrosion on most crimp connector, look like the wrong tool was use and damage the heat shrink tubing and allowed moisture to do its thing. So now I feel like I should replace all wire that are most expose to the elements, so basically everything from battery to main fuse box inside cabin. I really like the adhesive line heat shrink tubing, I have also used dielectric grease on several occasion but never together. Will it compromise the glue and negate its use or is it possible to use both? So what are you all thinking is the best approach for the longest lasting connection? Thanks for all input.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Im about to replace my battery switches and realize there is a good amount of corrosion on most crimp connector, look like the wrong tool was use and damage the heat shrink tubing and allowed moisture to do its thing. So now I feel like I should replace all wire that are most expose to the elements, so basically everything from battery to main fuse box inside cabin. I really like the adhesive line heat shrink tubing, I have also used dielectric grease on several occasion but never together. Will it compromise the glue and negate its use or is it possible to use both? So what are you all thinking is the best approach for the longest lasting connection? Thanks for all input.

Crimp lug to wire, then shrink tube(with the glue lining) then dielectric grease the lug and stud. Thumbs Up
I coat the terminals at the Batt. with Corrosion X. I clean the terminals out of guilt every 2 yrs, never any green stuff Thumbs Up
There is a marine electrical store on the E. side of the new seward just N. of dimond (CRS wont allow me to recall the name) they have Marine wire & decent prices & every thing you will need.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
[quote=

Crimp lug to wire, then shrink tube(with the glue lining) then dielectric grease the lug and stud. Thumbs Up
I coat the terminals at the Batt. with Corrosion X. I clean the terminals out of guilt every 2 yrs, never any green stuff Thumbs Up
There is a marine electrical store on the E. side of the new seward just N. of dimond (CRS wont allow me to recall the name) they have Marine wire & decent prices & every thing you will need.

Thanks tsturm.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also sprays that do the same as the grease.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-A202S-Battery-Corrosion-Preventative/dp/B001DKRGLM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=battery+terminal+spray&qid=1614012969&sr=8-2

C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:

tsturm, I sent you a PM, let me know if you receive it, it look like it is stuck in my outbox and I’m not sure why.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

[quote="C-Wolfe"][quote="tsturm"]
C-Wolfe wrote:
. . .I sent you a PM, let me know if you receive it, it look like it is stuck in my outbox and I’m not sure why.

That's just a feature of the PM system. Until the intended recipient actually clicks on the message, it will remain in your "outbox." Once the recipient looks at the message, it shows up in your "sentbox."

On the larger question, agree completely with tsturm. Just don't put the dielectric on the terminal before you make the connection. A dielectric between the points of contact will interfere with current. I don't know if the dielectric could possibly compromise the heat shrink adhesive. We must have some chemistry geeks around here to answer that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: