The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help! How do we mount our 9.9 hp kicker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Help! How do we mount our 9.9 hp kicker? Reply with quote

Help! How do we mount our 9.9 hp Kicker? We just got the 90 Yamaha back from the dealer, installed and ready to go for the long break in drive, and Jeff wants to know how he should mount the kicker on the back of the boat. It looks a little crowded to me, and we are going to lift the kicker on the back of her and try to get her ready for the water for a Sunday ride. Should it be mounted any special way to jive with the Yamaha 90 hp? Idea The rookies are asking for professional opinions!

Thanks Exclamation Razz Wink
Diane
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff and Diane- I assume you're mounting the engine on the transom, along side the new Yamaha 90, and not on a separate bracket (motor mount) further off to the side directly behind one of the lazarettes.

If you're going to mount it on the transom, along side the new motor and therefore steer and operate the throttle with the tiller handle, your only option is to mount the kicker to the left side of the main (starboard side of the boat) because the tiller handle is on the right side of the kicker. There's simply no room to swivel the tiller handle if you mount it to the other side. Mounting it on the right (port side of the boat) would require the separate motor mount and a cross-linking steering arm/link to the main motor.

The trick is to mount the motor far enough away from the main to allow it not to inhibit the turning/steering of the main, while still allowing the kicker enough room to swivel and steer and not bang into the side of the transom well. Too close to the main and you lose some of the steering/maneuverability of the main, too close to the other wall and the kicker loses some of its maneuverability. The exact way this works out depends on the physical dimensions of each particular combination of motors.

To accomplish the above, or find the sweet spot, mount the kicker somewhat losely on the transom, and move it back and forth, right to left experimentally until the main can swivel fully and you have preserved the maximum amount of kicker "swivelability" at the same time. Be sure you save room enough so that you can tilt up and lock the kicker out of the way when going fast with the main motor to avoid dragging the lower unit of the kicker. Often a compromise is necessary. For example, on my Johnson 15 and and EvinruEvinrudet up, the kicker maneuverability is about 75% of the normal maximum to allow the main to fully rotate, so you might not get a perfect 100% + 100% combination. Maintaining main motor maneuverability takes priority.

If this arrangement is unduly restrictive on the kicker's steering, you may want to consider a auxiliary motor mount for the kicker in the future. Then you would have your choice of which side on which to mount it.

If you have a rubber mounting pad to place over the transom to protect it from the kicker's mounting bracket and clamps, this would help insure you don't mar the finish on the motor well.

Make sure you have room to attach the gas hose to the kicker once it's mounted plus any other required connections (electrical, if required).

If you like the placement of the motor and the arrangement, you may want to consider for the future a steering link that will connect the two motors, either at the front or the rear, to allow you to steer with the helm's steering wheel as opposed to the handle on the kicker. You'll still have to operate the throttle and shift mechanism from the motor, of course, unless you opt to install remote controls for these.

Sometimes the final placement of the kicker is affected by a number of factors such as the desire to place it on the opposite side of the boat from a single person/operator to balance the weight distribution of the boat better, or to avoid interference of some other accessory, such as a swim step, but you can deal with much of this later. For now, get it mounted where it can serve you as a back up motor and a trolling motor and take your time to make a final decision carefully.

Hope this includes everything and helps! Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Port" and "Left" have 4 letters and refer to the same side of the boat.

"Port" Wine is red, and the navigation light on the Port Side is also.

Literally all auxillary outboards are mounted on the Starboard (AKA Right side looking forward) side of the transom. Cool

-- Chuck
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck- Don't tell Da Nag Bill he can't mount his kicker on the port side of Da New Da Nag (!) I know it's harder to do, requiring a steering connecting rod, an auxiliary motor mount with swing up capability (best electric actuated), and (preferably) and electric starting auxiliary with remote throttle and shift controls, but it can be done, usually for balance purposes.

After 32 years of racing sailboats (we also share this second life-long interest !), I know port from starboard, but sometimes when writing posts I like to kind of over-explain things in a way that others can, in re-reading a post later , make sense of. Part of that I just habit from the 35 years in the classroom, I guess! Have a great weekend!!! Joe.
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had my kicker mounted on the Port side and it works great for me. I fish alot and I'm right handed, so when I operate the kicker, the tiller handle is in my left hand and the fishing pole in my right. The kicker is hanging off a transom bracket (Port side), so to offset the lateral balance, I mounted both batteries on the starboard side.

Chuck, up here in Port Angeles alot of people fish and have the kicker on the port side. Do you fish at all?
Jon
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Kicker Mount Reply with quote

On Snoopy-C I mounted my 8 hp honda on the starboard side so that the tiller could swing farther when trolling. On the port side it would hit the side of the lazarette when just starting to turn starboard. I balanced the motor out by putting 2 batteries in the port lazarette. Also, the seating on my 22 cruiser plus the water reservoir more than balance out the kicker and the captain. Regards, Ron http://www.c-brat.net/albums/Snoopy-C/IMG_0773.thumb.jpg[/url]
Jeff and Diane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go up to see if anyone had responded to our cry for help Exclamation It is comforting to know that all of you C-Brat Junkies are quick with the response. We really appreciate it. You answered our question with bountiful knowledge. Thanks for sharing. I had to wake Jeff up and share with him. He feels that I am now supplied with the knowledge base necessary to complete the objective. I'll finish my coffee Tea Jeff is all ready to have me go slap her on. We'll check back in after we have successfully completed our mission CoolSmile

Oh, fishing is in our near future as soon as we figure out how to get the Immacu-nada out of the driveway with the new "Rig" we need to acquire. We are also on the hunt for a Ford F250 dp(something...forgot the last letter in the acronym) with the 7.something, I think the 6.something is the newer one out the past 3 years, but anyways we need to find a 2000-2003 beauty to haul our baby. Got to upgrade from the '94 F150.

Thanks for all of your help and input. Love "Sugar Lips signs off!"
Diane
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

Looked at your photo album, nice CD. Major parking construction, but lots of fire wood Smile.

Note A little ditty, bout' Jeff and Diane. Two American kids, boatin', the best they can.

Enjoy your toy. Jon

Jeff and Diane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go slap this baby on while Jeff is sipping coffee Tea and calculating the weight/balance/distribution...whatever equations that have thrown him back into his "Flying" days. My wonderful Love "Boeing Engineer" husband has to mathimatically equate the entire process. I'll have this baby mounted before the ink is dry Exclamation I'll just make sure I don't accidentally put her on the bow!

Sugar Lips Lips (Diane Love)
Jeff and Diane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Rock Razz Exclamation "The Little Ditty about Jeff and Diane...Two American Kids Just Doin' The Best That They Can" is our coined joke Exclamation We Love Ya, Man! You're Quick Laughing
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff and Diane-

One thing more, if the two engine seem to get in each other's way, but not too bad, the condition might be relieved somewhat later by adddng the cross-connecting tie rod, which will keep them turning together in "parallel" fashion which makes more efficient use of the room available, providing, of course, they're not so tight to make the dual set up possible without adding a separate auxiliary motor mount. Hope you had a great day! Joe.
deltalimabeano

State or Province: NC
Photos: deltalimabeano
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some video of a 9.9 Yam on an '06 22' -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwO8E-1IGZc
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed our swim-step and put the kicker on the starboard side. All the fuel lines, battery cables, controls etc are there already, so one more engine there makes sense, vs on the port side.

Much less crowded to port. More importantly, I moved the swim-step to port where there are no trip hazards. We use it to ingress/egress the dinghy.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1524&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1535&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job localboy.

We have our 9.9 kicker with tiller control on the port side which works well for us. While fishing, I sit on the full height transom and have the benefit of full steering motion (with the tiller) because the tiller is the furthest distance away from the main. Remember, the tiller is on the right side of the kicker. Sportcraft Marina in Portland Or. routed all cables and fuel lines in such a way (with new boat motor installs) that we easily step over them when using our swim platform. Glad you are happy with the move of your swim platform and kicker. You did a great job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: