The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Merc Verado V12 Outboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Merc Verado V12 Outboard Reply with quote

600 hp, automatic 2-speed transmission, independent steerable gearcase, contra-rotating props...... Wow! Wonder what this puppy is worth?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/v12/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7I3mkZTl7gIVaR-tBh2RHgTAEAAYASAAEgLcafD_BwE

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, weighs more than my trailer and half of my boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at 1260 lbs , my guess is it wouldn't be a good choice to re-power a CD16! Very Happy
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pod steering on an outboard - that is neat!

Just to compare - The Seven Marine 627Sv weighed in around the 1,000pd. mark and the price tag in March 2020 was around $100,000.00. It used a GM 6.2L mounted horizontally. Seven Marine was acquired by Volvo in 2017. Last month Jan. 2021 - it was announced that they were no longer going to be produced.

Interesting innovations,

Rob

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is an innovative outboard. And, if you do the math, it has a fabulous power to weight ratio. Think about it.....600 hp to 1200 pounds is how many hp to 400 pounds? Which happens to be the weight on the back of most 22s.....I'll give you a hint....200 hp.....
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
It really is an innovative outboard. And, if you do the math, it has a fabulous power to weight ratio. Think about it.....600 hp to 1200 pounds is how many hp to 400 pounds? Which happens to be the weight on the back of most 22s.....I'll give you a hint....200 hp.....

Ah yeah, Zoooom Zooooom.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
it has a fabulous power to weight ratio.

Not sure what block Merc is using but 7 Marine used the Cadillac 6.2 L Aluminum block. The 627hp model was supercharged. For $100grand I wonder how many hours you would get from an aluminum supercharged block? Some battlewagons swapped out triple 350hp outboards for 2 - 627Sv's resulting in more hp. and less weight.

Chatter on the web suggests 2 reasons for the demise - a very tiny market for this product and dealers/qualified service being few/far between. With Merc's larger dealer network in North America and the novelty of the pod type drive and 2 speed tranny maybe it will fly. Apparently the 2 speed is possible because of the 600ft.pds. of torque it produces at only 3,000rpm. Some suggest using a variable pitch prop would have been better. 7 Marine lasted about 10 years - so time will tell with the Merc.

Rob
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc makes their own blocks specifically for marine usage now. This one does not have turbo, isn't supercharged, and runs on 87 octane. I think it will have great longevity and be dependable. Whenever you start throwing forced induction on gas motors and then working them hard like you do in a boat, it's not the best scenario for lasting a long time. Oh....and it's got huge displacement at almost 8 liters!
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. - relying on GM for blocks kind of deep sixed a lot of marine power plants. Even screwed up their truck power choices. Friend of mine always had a GM dually with a 454 for hauling boats - he hated diesels. Last time I saw him he had a new diesel dually because he said that was the only thing he could get with enough torque to pull larger boats(owns a marina).

8 liters - that would help explain the torque in the lower rpm range. Totally agree with you re. the forced induction shortening engine life. Since loosing some of the big blocks manufacturers have resorted to squeezing more and more power from smaller disp. blocks. Forced induction > more hp > higher rpm > shorter stroke > less torque and less hours. There was a reason why tweekers used to stroke and bore engines.

Sounds like maybe Merc built this one to last, as long as that swiveling pod holds up in the salt water. A lot of the battlewagons that want this type of power are offshore salt water fishers, cruisers and speed boats.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: