thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are specific lights for fishing boats: They do not include the bright lights: The place I first saw the bight lights was in fishing for squid.

From Boater Ed:

Vessels engaged in fishing (Other than trawling) display a red all-round light over a white all-round light. Additional lights that may be displayed include:

A white all-round light that points in the direction of any fishing gear extending more than 150 metres horizontally from the vessel
Red and green sidelights and a white sternlight when the vessel is underway

From Ace boater:
Vessel when engaged in trawling
A vessel when engaged in trawling, which means dragging a dredge net or other fishing apparatus through the water, shall display:

two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being green and the lower white. When making way through the water,
sidelights and
sternlight.

There are slight variations in larger vessels and inland waters..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fishing boats I’m referring to are not using the lights strictly for fishing. Lots of them use light (very bright ) for fishing, around here squid boats for example. The headlights are being used for steaming to or from the fishing grounds.
Because I was where I was
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olsurfdog wrote:
The fishing boats I’m referring to are not using the lights strictly for fishing. Lots of them use light (very bright ) for fishing, around here squid boats for example. The headlights are being used for steaming to or from the fishing grounds.

This issues comes up on The Hull Truth often, where a new boater wants "headlights'. They are told it is illegal, even by a current Coast Guard Safety officer, yet proceed to buy a large LED display. People still do it. It makes it almost impossible to see the navigation lights so that others can see what is going on...I don't know of any citations or litigation, but that will happen sooner or later.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't see the channel markers because the lights are on when they should not be, I think we have a big problem.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding LED lights, (Driving, Fog and Scene lights or side lights was something I wanted to do when I first got my boat too. Still think about it.) I have seen the big fishing boats on the Oregon Coast, Puget Sound and on the BC Coast, big lights, Sodium, LED and Halogens. These are generally facing forward, with other lights down on the aft deck and I have seen some with spot lights generally aimed towards net gear. I have also talked to some of the First Nations fisherman who say their best fishing is on new moon nights, with no lights on anywhere so the fish do not see the nets. I liked the idea of the LED lights and even designed a light mount scheme for under my radar dome.

In the cabin, I changed all my cabin lights to LED with both white and red options. Both work at the dock, but the red lights in the cabin are WAY TOO BRITE to use for navigation. I found that as an option to no light, I use a headlamp with a red LED and put it on face backwards, (still bright) so I put a red bandana over it. Gives just enough light to give some peripheral vision. Also, All the lights on all the nav gear are turned down to minimum. Some don't go dark enough so they get a cover of some sort.

For the handheld, portable spot light, used to spot land marks when at anchor mostly, I have a paper towel roll cardboard that just fits into the light bezel, that helps keep light off the boat, water or anything else reflective.

I very rarely boat at night. I boat in the PNW and there are always things in the water here. Can't say I have seen many at night, but I have seen them in the daytime and I don't think they evaporate at night.

Boat safe, and stay careful. Boating at night has it's own whole new set of challenges.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
n the cabin, I changed all my cabin lights to LED with both white and red options. Both work at the dock, but the red lights in the cabin are WAY TOO BRITE to use for navigation. I found that as an option to no light, I use a headlamp with a red LED and put it on face backwards, (still bright) so I put a red bandana over it. Gives just enough light to give some peripheral vision. Also, All the lights on all the nav gear are turned down to minimum. Some don't go dark enough so they get a cover of some sort.

There are several ways to dim LED's. some of my fixtures have a "bright and dim" switch on them--basically a resister in series with the LED on one of the legs to the LED.

How to determine the correct resister for LED lights.

You can put several of the lights in series, and you can use commercial dimmers.

I just buy the cheap LED's in bundles of 50 or 100. Put them in using #22 wire (solder connections). I have red LED in cabin fwd, aft, head over dinette and over galley, plus in the bunk. Onside on the side boxes and from above the door covering the entire cockpit in red light...Cheap and easy to do. Drill holes in Starboard, or wood (teak) the diameter of the light, and hold in place from the back with a dab of sealant--silicone works fine in these cases. You can "aim" these little LED's.

From Adorama (camera store) you can get a 24" x 21" red gel filter for $7. This can be put over chart ;plotters or lights to dim them further.

Lots of ways to "dim" a C Dory...
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one "trick" I learned one night when, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to make a night crossing of Rosario Strait and on into a Anacortes harbor. I ended up using the bright lights on the shoreline to spot logs in the water.

This only works in calm water, but if you can find a shore-mounted light more or less up ahead, the very bright light (lots of them around harbors) forms a sort of "highway of light" on the water. I just steered directly "up" that lighted path. There's enough light in that narrow path to easily spot logs and such several boat lengths ahead.

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, Yes, Good trick. Thanks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

This was taken after guiding another boat into PT Boathaven one night when they had an electrical issue an lost all onboard lights and navigation electronics. Fortunately they did have a Handheld VHF with some battery left. I found them via radar, and then let them come in close enough behind me so that I could see them and they could see me. I did pass them a flashlight and had them keep that aimed at me so I could see were they were.

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red over white, fishing at night
green over white, trawling at night
white over red, pilot ahead.
red over red, your license is dead...if aground
or
red over red, the captain is dead...if not under command

from what little i remember. Sad

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on Conrad, Thanks. That is going into some memory bank. Might need super glue for it to stick though Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are advantages to boating in Northern waters in the summer. They days are so long that you hardly need a flashlight and the need to boat at night is greatly reduced.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
There are advantages to boating in Northern waters in the summer. They days are so long that you hardly need a flashlight and the need to boat at night is greatly reduced.

Due to the extended daylight hours you mentioned, we have only cruised a few times in the dark on our SE Alaska cruises & on a couple of those times when it was for several hours there was enough moonlight to see debris if traveling at displacement speed. Twice high winds came up while anchored when it was pitch black & those moves to a better anchorage was a bit diicy with the older gps chart that took awhile to get direction oriented & a good handheld high powered light making it doable.

Jay

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck making red night lights out of LED strips with 3M sticky backing. Even the little 12" strips tend to be too bright, but they can be cut with scissors down to 3 or just one LED and still work. I just did this for a light that is always on over my DC panel if it is powered. No need to turn on a light at night to see the switches. The light is not noticeable during the day and it stays on all night when at anchor. They can also be stuck on the top edge of the aluminum window frame in the CDory. They shine up just enough light to find something in the cabin and then turn them back off.

https://www.amazon.com/XT-AUTO-Flexible-Waterproof-Underbody/dp/B01J3FC43I/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=red+LED+light+strips+3M&qid=1612220825&s=automotive&sr=1-4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: