The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Oil Filter Alternative?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebastien

City/Region: philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: kittiwake
Photos: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an answer from Amazon seller Whites Marine re.
my enquiry.

"We apologize, Honda discontinued the 15400-PLM-A01PE oil filters almost 2 years ago. The part number was superseded to part number 15400-PLM-A02PE. This new filter replaces the previous version completely and is correct for your 2000 Honda BF 90. The difference between these 2 filters is the actual filter manufacturer. The 15400-PLM-A01PE filter was manufactured by Filtech for Honda and the 15400-PLM-A01PE oil filter is manufactured by Honeywell (Fram) for Honda. An email should have been sent out automatically explaining this issue, but our system may have experienced a glitch which kept the message from being sent.

So they bare the Honda name just made by a different filter manufacturer - still, it would have been good to know!

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly suspect that just about any filter you put on it will be fine. But, it's always nice to get what you pay for and by no means think filters are created equally.

I have read thread after thread how terrible FRAM filters are and I remember a long time ago I used to work in a lube shop as a teenager and they used them. I bet you can guess how many failures they had from the oil filter......that's right....none. If that is all that is available, I don't hesitate to put them on my cars and trucks, but I do prefer a higher quality filter. Guess how much trouble they had from the 16 year old kids they had working on cars? It seemed like something happened daily.....lol....

I don't know how anyone feels about Sierra filters, but I have used them many times on outboards and other small 4 stroke motors when NAPA Golds are not available. They sure are not cheap and are packaged really well. Thoughts?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
... I don't know how anyone feels about Sierra filters, but I have used them many times on outboards and other small 4 stroke motors when NAPA Golds are not available. They sure are not cheap and are packaged really well. Thoughts?

I've used Sierra filters. Can't remember what I used them on. Didn't have any problems with them, but them I'm one of the people who say "an oil filter is an oil filter" and don't pay much attention to the brand. I think that any company who intends to stay in business or has been in business for awhile will make a decent product. They won't survive in the market if they don't.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are only 5 companies (at least a few years ago--probably more with Chinese) who made oil filters. in the US.

For example FRAM has 4 or 5 different grades of filters. One study I read is the only one of these is suitable.

Mobile one seems to get the highest grades--silicone anti drain valve, retains shape for extended duration. Highest quality elements, mesh over the filter, better bypass valve. The "synthetic" oil filters are better, because they are but to last longer...in cars,10,000+ miles for synthetic oil filters, and for the Dino oil the filters only "need" to last 3,000 hours. (However some vehicles come with longer oil change intervals.

I have always used the outboard brand filters on my outboard motors...They may not be the best, but it is only a few dollars more, and in the greater realm of things, it is a minor cost.

Another question is how many are running synthetic oil? If so are you using "synthetic oil filters"? Looking at several tear down and filtration studies--they all seem to be better made (Although one study said not to buy but only one of the Fram line, including synthetics.) I change my oil once a year or every 100 hours, which ever comes first. If I was doing the "great Loop" then I would run synthetic and use the synthetic designated filters. Cut my oil changes dependent on type of engine running--if mostly displacement speeds--maybe 300 hours, it mostly high speed 150 hours...(Some would change filters based on gallons of fuel used rather than hours run.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
sebastien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to the now 5 honda (blue) filters I have.
One that came with the boat and the four I just got
and honda oil for the oil changes.
the 2000 honda bf 90 outboard manual states oil
change should be every 100 hours and filter every 400 hours.
I'll stick to changing the oil and filter at the same time at the 100 hour interval (my honda dealer mechanic's recommendation) and I'll do it myself with an oil extractor pump on the water.
I figure I'll put roughly 500 hours on the motor in the next year so that'll be five oil and filter changes.

thanks for all the feedback - I though getting honda filters would be a no-brainer but as usual there is a rabbit hole
potential re. filters, oil , etc. (and I didn't even consider switching to synthetic)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have used synthetic 10-30 and almost always the NAPA Gold that fits on honda outboards and like 500 other small engines. When they don't have one, which is really rare, it's Sierra as they are on the shelf at the local marina. The NAPA gold oil filters are supposed to be safe with all oils. I seriously question if any of the things I do are actually necessary as the oil is still pretty clean after 100 hours of use. Blackstone labs oil analysis peeps say it has tons of life left when I have had them look at it. It would seem I am being abundantly cautious I guess. Whatever......makes me feel good Smile
sebastien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I thought of synthetic I would have maybe gone that route. Had I known that people trust filters more than the Honda OEM I would have stocked up on those from NAPA.
I figure if I stick the the 100 hour interval and replace the filter each time the old 90 will be just fine.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebastien, I agree. Changing the oil frequently is important. The 150 on Journey On is now 15 years old and the motor part has run with no problems.

I've obviously followed the filter discussion and no one has mentioned the filter's particle size capability. The Bosch I use has a particle filtration of 2 microns, which is as small as it gets. So, I'm willing to use any known filter brand with a 2 micron rating. That's all a filter does, remove particulate matter from (in this case) a fluid. I don't ask for more.

Change the oil and filter often.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: