The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit drainage - 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Newer 22s only have one bilge under the motor well at the aft center of the boat. There is no bilge pump in the cabin any more (08 and later).

Isn't there a bilge (and pump) under the step between the cabin and the cockpit, with a small trapdoor right under the cabin door on the 22 Cruiser (2008 and newer.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
ssobol wrote:
Newer 22s only have one bilge under the motor well at the aft center of the boat. There is no bilge pump in the cabin any more (08 and later).

Isn't there a bilge (and pump) under the step between the cabin and the cockpit, with a small trapdoor right under the cabin door on the 22 Cruiser (2008 and newer.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Not on my boat. No step either.
joew

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Betty Louise
Photos: Betty Louise
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to leave any of the non self bailing models in the water where it rains frequently you are most likely going to want to invest in a cockpit cover. Money well spent. Whether a camper back or a slant cover, it will also make over nighting more pleasant. I was never comfortable relying on the batteries to keep the boat dry on my 22 Cruiser. On my 25 Cruiser, I've found the floor hatches leak like a sieve, so same same. Where there is shore power, less of a problem if your boat is so equipped. But having a cover equals a little more piece of mind.

One final comment. On my 22 I put heavy duty bar/kitchen mats down in the cockpit. Used them for 13 years. I picked them up at a restaurant supply store, cut them to size and never looked back.

JoeDub

joew

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Betty Louise
Photos: Betty Louise
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add one comment about the non self bailing models. Carry a bucket at all times. A hand pump is good for clean up, as well.

Back in 2000 when I had just purchased the first Betty Louise I was by Orcas Island solo fishing, drifting with the current. I was brand new to boating. Both engines off. Beautiful, sunny day, quiet, just the sound of the cormorants and gulls. Fishing in Paradise.

I looked over my right shoulder and could see that I was drifting backwards into a rip. Hmmm. Curious I thought. Did I mention I was brand new to boating? If you've never boated up here, a rip is where two fast flowing bodies of water collide, forming a sort of standing wave. Well, I drifted stern first into the rip and the rip sucked the aft starboard quarter of the Betty down enough so green water started breaking over the gunwale in a continuous flood into the cockpit.

Throwing my pole down, I ran into the house and tried to start the starboard engine. I had twin Honda 40's, carbureted. The starboard engine didn't start right up. Looking back at the cockpit from the helm, I could see water continuing to pour over the gunwale. Did I mention that the water around here can be many hundreds of feet deep? And that it's freaking cold? Really getting worried, I switched over the port engine. It started right up. Throwing the throttle forward, I scooted out of the rip and into clear water.

The cockpit had filled up to the bottom of the bulkhead door and I grabbed my bucket and bailed like hell, finishing up with the hand pump. The 1200 gph Rule bilge pump didn't make a dent against that flood.

I started off this note by saying that with the non self bailing models, you should carry a bucket at all times. The simple fact is that you should carry a bucket at all times no matter what boat you are on the water in. But on non self bailing models...

JoeDub
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Close call.
Having learned to sail in the Columbia Gorge and gone out in all conditions I arrogantly thought I knew something about waves.
The first time I got into the Point Wilson tide rip I may have said 'oh poop' or something similar, I did learn a valuable lesson though.

The Gorge
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I started off this note by saying that with the non self bailing models, you should carry a bucket at all times. The simple fact is that you should carry a bucket at all times no matter what boat you are on the water in. But on non self bailing models...

Well said and thinking. Even the "self bailing" will not cope with that much water. Scuppers are often very small, and near the water line. What are termed as "freeing ports" are necessary when massive amounts of water intrude.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: cockpit drainage Reply with quote

My 2006 19 (currently for sale) only has the auto/Manuel bilge pump at the very back of the deck with a slightly lower well that it sits in. Water would have to get pretty tall for the "auto" to kick in. They are set up for that reason. Don't worry, Your boat will be fine.

Richard
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bit of a maintenance routine when our boat is moored. Our latest 22 has a single pump under the motor bilge, and when it's clean it works very well. What happens though is debris, leaves, fishing line, etc. gets washed back into the bilge during rain events and when I'm washing down after returning to the dock. I find that the screen on the pump gets clogged and than the pump no longer works worth a darn. This requires me to get down and manually clean everything out every week or two while the boat sits at our dock. It's not a big deal, its just something I've gotten accustomed to doing.

We have taken a large wave over the transom in Saratoga passage in the Puget Sound on our previous 22. This boat had a single bilge pump in the step below the door. Spot shrimp season was closing within the hour, and a gale had unexpectedly picked up causing some of the roughest conditions I've ever boated in. Not wanting to be fined by fish and wildlife for having gear set outside of the legal window, we chose to brave it and retrieve the weighted pots. A big wave came over the transom resulting in 8-10 inches of water in the cockpit. It was frightening at the time to say the least, but the boat handled it fine, we still had plenty of freeboard left as the pump did its thing and baled the water out. I had turned the bow into the waves for safety as it pumped out. Not something I'd like to experience again but the boat proved itself relatively seaworthy. I don't think not having scuppers is really an issue, but keeping that bilge pump clean of debris, the wiring in good shape, and tested regularly is important. And I'll echo what was already said about bringing a bucket. We always have one, which has many uses, but can invaluable in case of emergency.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Water would have to get pretty tall for the "auto" to kick in. They are set up for that reason.

The bilge pump aft is set up so it will pump water out most effectively when the boat is run, with bow slightly up. At rest, a mid bilge pump Isi effective. Some are built with a small suction type of pump off to the side and a hose leading to the pump under a seat or galley counter.
Alan

City/Region: Endicott
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Katyusha
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And consider taking a manual pump with you as a backup.

Hey, you never know....

Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea how lucky I am. My 2008 A 19, in which I added a small solar panel to charge my dual battery bank (divided house/starter with engine relay), automatically pumps from the back bilge. Even after a very heavy rain, I have never seen more than a half inch of water under the floor panels.
Sometimes, after a very heavy rain, I will stand on the swim platform, and the pump will run for two minutes, completely emptying the boat, but I know it pumps from time to time, I have looked out in the rain and seen it pumping.

IMHO, you need at least 800 GPH bilge pump, working and tested, before you go on the water. I have seen several people adding capacity and redundancy with a second pump, and I am thinking I agree.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey Harvey,
Midnight Flyer (2007 22) only had the aft bilge pump. That is, up against the transom, center between the fuel tanks, in a little shallow sump area. I believe it was a 500 or 800 gph model with a separate float switch. I installed a second bilge pump in the same area, right next to the other one. But a bit larger, (either an 800 or 1100 gph model). It had an internal float switch. And I also wired it to a manual switch at the helm. There was no step at the cabin door on either side of the bulkhead. I thought about putting a pump in the front of the cockpit, and also thought about putting a pump inside the cabin, but did neither. C-Traveler has several bilge pumps. One that is automated under the closet on the port side, to drain the shower water from the starboard side head. That one also drained the original water heater, that I pulled out. Then there is also one under the step just inside the cabin door. That is both automated with an internal float switch and manual with a switch at the helm. And then a cockpit bilge towards the back of the cockpit, but in front of the water tank which is amidships and up against the transom, and sits in very shallow sump. That one too has an automatic internal float switch and also a manual switch at the helm. And I think is a 1100 gph. As I did in Midnight Flyer, I added one more bilge pump, nearby the cockpit bilge pump, but not in the small shallow sump, since there wasn't room. The spare I added was an 800 gph and has both an internal float switch, and a manual switch at the helm. I thought of mounting that spare in just behind the fuel tank, as I think I get some water that pools in there. However, I would also need to install an inspection/access plate in the floor there if I were to move that spare pump to that area. I also carry a manual pump and have a small 3 gallon pale if necessary. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a Bucket for sure. You get extra points (and use efficiency) IF your bucket has a square or rectangular shape --> = more flat surface to pick up water with.

Plus points for checking and cleaning the bilge pumps. I think the largest Rule that will fit under the cabin door step is a 120GPH. Mine under the splashwell is a 1500 or 1600GPH. It was the largest I could get that had the internal switch, would fit into that space and it has (I think) a 1.5inch output hose.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Sloped back cover Reply with quote

Any suggestions as to whom makes a good one?
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sloped back cover Reply with quote

crowleykirk wrote:
Any suggestions as to whom makes a good one?

If you are looking for a good bucket, mine come from Costco with laundry soap in them Laughing

As to Bilge pumps, I am using, and happy with my Rule pumps; internal auto switch, NOT the ones that has sensors in it so it won't pump anything but water, and NOT the ones that come on every 2-3 minutes to check if there is resistance (sees that as fluid to pump) in the lines. That takes electricity right out of your battery -- dah Shocked Twisted Evil

I would (and did) put in the highest output pump I could find that fits in the space(s). Highly recommend that, and bilge pumps are not the place to skimp on $$$.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: