JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Harvey. Although this was an unusual year, we have gone to Sturgis during the Rally many times over the last 40 years. The virus aside, it is an "event"... much like Mardi Gras. If you enjoy motorcycles and people watching, it has plenty of both. We used to have a business on Main Street in Sturgis, and never had an issue. Some people seem to think it is a giant drunken brawl, but most people are there to ride and enjoy themselves. Since the 50th Anniversary when it became huge, vendors have flocked to the Rally... I consider it the world's largest motorcycle flea market, as well. Wink

When we were at a Goldwing Rally in the early 90s, some folks heard we were from the Black Hills and asked, "Have you ever ridden your Goldwing to Sturgis? I heard they beat you up if you aren't riding a Harley."

I said, "That is true - there are two lines when you enter town: the beating and non-beating lines." And then waited for the horrified looks to turn to laughter. You can ride anything you want. Harleys are by far the majority of bikes, but there are all kinds. I have ridden my Vespa to Sturgis the last three years... a few smirks, but never an unpleasant situation. Of course, people being people, there are opportunities to find trouble if you go looking for it; easy solution: don't go looking for it.

Lodging can get very expensive during the Rally (supply & demand), but there are many temporary campgrounds that are open at that time. Don't expect much in the way of quiet.

This year is the first time I have gone to Sturgis during the Rally and not parked the bike and walked around town... hardly a mask in sight, and certainly no social distancing. Just a ride-through to shoot some video with my new 360 camera. Kept my face shield down.

When we get through this pandemic, I will certainly go back to Sturgis during the Rally if we are anywhere in the Black Hills.

According to official reports, there were about 460,000 people who were there this year.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, Sturgis has always had a bit of a draw for me, partly bike stuff, and partly the draw to go back and see some of my parents old stamping grounds.

I bet you are having a good time with that 360 view. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here riding a Honda VTX 1300? Looking at a 2007 with 14 K miles.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Harvey

Isn't that one of those "Honda-Davidsons"?
What are you looking for that your existing ride doesn't offer?

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knipet wrote:
hardee wrote:

Harvey

Isn't that one of those "Honda-Davidsons"?
What are you looking for that your existing ride doesn't offer?

An extra 550cc? More relaxed riding at highway speeds. And sometimes a change of pace does a person good. Wink Some people change boats frequently. Up-size, down-size... OK to mix it up. Thumbs Up
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head. The 550cc increase is also a weight increase, and with the bigger engine, there is a bit more space on the throttle rotation, so 75 MPH is not as close to the top of that throttle or the Speedometer.

I know there are other riders here on the site, so just looking for some info from some trusted Brats.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Steve, Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head. The 550cc increase is also a weight increase, and with the bigger engine, there is a bit more space on the throttle rotation, so 75 MPH is not as close to the top of that throttle or the Speedometer.

Harvey, I was just curious. Your current bike looked really nice and I know you have it set up nicely.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, Thanks, Yes it is pretty well done, and is in pretty nice shape. 18 K miles, 55 mpg, no complaints. Well, not really a complaint but for on the freeway, the Shadow is pushing a bit to run at freeway speeds for long periods of time. I'm thinking I might want to do some longer rides and that might involve more freeway riding. Still not throwing out the "Ride to the Wall" idea yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvy
I got back into riding in 2003 with a 2003 1300 VTX. For me it wasn't a 'long distance' ride. I wanted to ride the 450 miles from home to the mountains in a day and be mostly comfortable.
I then moved on to 3 different BMWs and put 250,000 miles by 2018.
My current bike now does it all: 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adv. Sport DCT. 1000 cc
On road, interstate, bad roads and dirt roads. Longest day has been 650 miles, comfortably.
But, it's whatever floats your boat that matters. CoolSmile

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBlalock wrote:
Harvy
I got back into riding in 2003 with a 2003 1300 VTX. For me it wasn't a 'long distance' ride. I wanted to ride the 450 miles from home to the mountains in a day and be mostly comfortable.
I then moved on to 3 different BMWs and put 250,000 miles by 2018.
My current bike now does it all: 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adv. Sport DCT. 1000 cc
On road, interstate, bad roads and dirt roads. Longest day has been 650 miles, comfortably.
But, it's whatever floats your boat that matters. CoolSmile

Well, for floating my boat Wink It is usually salt chuck Cool but it only takes about 2 feet, so pretty much any version of H20 works for me.

So (WARNING TMI) I am pretty short, and I like to be able to put both feet on the ground at a stop, if I need to. So, I like the cruiser versions, and I'm hoping the 1300 will be adequate for some freeway riding. I am fine with not going 90 -100mph, so the 1300 VTX should work. I like my Shadow 750 because it gets 50 - 55 mpg, sits really comfortable, and I'm a succor for the black and chrome.

Anything particular that got you to move to the Beamers from the VTX?
Any recommendations to upgrade the VTX?

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Senior so my memory isn't as good as it once was but: I wanted to take my wife on some rides but 20 miles was about all she could stand. Not enough seat for a pillion.
Took her to the BMW shop and put her on the cruiser(back in '03) and just sat on the lot to see how she felt for an hr. sitting. She was all in so that was it.
On the VTX I did add a windshield that easily came off and noisy pipes. Added sissy bar and bag for travel and something for her to lean back on. Don't remember anything else.
I am glad I came back to Honda. They have many models that might be low enough for you and that might be better for travel.
Just my $.02
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this isn't the most popular (reoccurring) sit on the C-BRATS site, but for some of us, it is still fun.

Just updating a bit here. The 2007 Honda VTX 1300C moved to my garage in January this year. . . . . and we did some riding. Made a few adjustments initially and then put on about a thousand miles, decided we could get along after adding some highway safety things. Well, after a few months, and a few Shocked $$$ and some great work by Rottweiler MC in Bremerton, I have a very capable and comfortable highway bike. Of course it has rained or the roads have been seriously wet almost every day since I rode it home.

The difference is almost a 1000 RPM decrease at 60mph. At 70 the VTX is turning about 2700 RPM, instead of 4K on the Shadow. It is about 700 pounds, and carries 4.8 gallons for about 200 miles between station stops.

Just curious now, IF there are any riders here who might consider doing the "Ride to the Wall" in May of 2022? I am considering doing the whole ride from Ontario, CA to Washington DC, and looking to share some lodging expenses. There are plenty of possibilities to join somewhere along the journey if that works better. PM me if interested, See this site for info:

https://rftw.us

Thanks and again, Hope your day was meaningful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea there was a thread here for motorcycles. I sold my last bike (BMW 650 sport bike) when we had our first child as I have a hard time resisting the urge to go fast. Fast forward thirty years and my adult son who has a Suzuki 1100GS cruising bike just added a sport bike - a Suzuki GSXR 750. O M G. I had no idea what has happened to sport bikes. My first impression was sheer terror. Then came the grins. What amazes me is that something so beyond ridiculously fast also handles so well. The problem with this bike is there really is no place to ride this thing unless you have the funds to go to a track regularly. I'm still terrified of it, but ride it every chance I can get. It's addicting. Anyone else been on one of the newer sport bikes? How long did it take to get comfortable with it? Do you take it to the track?
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the other side of the C-BRATS. It's a pretty small segment of the site but there are a few riders here so it is another thing some of us have in common. It's like having salt water in the veins, only instead it's the fresh air on the face.

I sent 28 years working trauma cases in the ER and before that 7 years from the ambulance. I have no need for speed, but I know there are those that do. I had a work partner who rode a sport bike back and forth about 70 miles to and from work. He had a fair amount of good riding sense, but when he quit the bike for commuting, his son in law totaled the bike in the first week he owned it.

I would highly recommend checking out Kevin at MCRider.com for some great safety tutelage. He covers great stuff like road strategy and safety techniques and it is not all about riding slow, just safely.

Enjoy your riding.

Harvey (VTX 1300C)
SleepyC Moon

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey,

Yes my son frequents the mcrider site, as well as some others. Fortunately he is an unusually mature and cautious individual - night and day beyond what I was at his age - and takes advanced classes occasionally. I basically gave it up as I just decided it was just too dangerous. The most dangerous part being that which is out of your control, which as you know is other people on the road. The big surprise for me now is just how much fun all that power is. My biggest takeaway though is how impractical these things are. It used to be you could find a desolate windy road and enjoy pushing the bike a bit. Now there is really no place tp push it except a track and then you would really need some skills. I agree with everything you said - words of wisdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: