The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water in Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23Venture

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Venture
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Water in Steps Reply with quote

I have looked all over the forums and cannot find my specific problem....well at least this one.

I have a 2008 23ft Venture currently on a trailer in Ketchikan, AK. When it was on the trailer and I was installing a Yamaha NMEA interface cable I noticed the sound of sloshing water in the steps, it was a lot of water (We average 165in of rain a year here). These steps are on the port and STBD side under the gunwale. They are completely glassed in and don't connect to anything. I opened up the deck inspection plates and the bilge is dry. I seems that the water is just trapped in the steps and not flowing down into the bilge. The only thing I can come up with is that the water might be filling up the steps from the water that might collect in the rub rail.

I will continue the search for the illusive leak, but my question is should I install a small inspection plate I can open up and drain/inspect or just drill a small hole and leave it open to drain?

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thank You,

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be correct that the water is coming from the rub rail...I would certanly drain the steps. If they are cored, then the core must be sealed. Drilling a simple set of holes, is the easiest and less obtrusive way. The steps on the C Dory 25 have inspection plates, since that is a way to access the fuel fill and vent hoses. They are open to the bilge.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

I have a 2006 23' (Cape Cruiser) and had exactly the same thing happen. I was re-wiring my downriggers last summer and as I was moving around the cockpit, I could hear water sloshing around. At first I thought it was just the fuel tanks, but the sound was different.... on inspection there was water in the port step! I was and still am perplexed as to how the water got in there, never thought about the rub rail as I thought it was higher up than the top of the steps. I was going to drill some small holes in the underside of the step, but then got sidetracked with the downrigger re-wiring. After about a month or so, I had time to take a look at the issue, but the water was gone! How it got in there and subsequently got out is still a mystery.

I really like the new steps with the hinged lid for storage, and thought about changing mine by cutting, adding hinges, fiberglassing, etc. but decided not to .... too much possibility of me really messing it up...

Chris Smile

23Venture

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Venture
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Bob and Chris,

Thank you for the replies. The reason I thought it was the rub rail is because there seems to be a double hull along the side under the gunwale. I will start by drilling some small holes at the aft lower quarter, so hopefully it all drains out naturally or when coming up in speed. I fear I need to take off and re-caulk the rub rail after the rainy season.

Thanks Again,
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on my 22' cruiser. It came with optional larger and taller steps that fit over the standard molded in steps. They were screwed down and 'sealed' with some kind of adhesive. I decided to remove them as they seemed to take up too much precious cockpit room -- always in the way of chairs or coolers. I removed the screws and, when I cut through the adhesive/sealant, about a gallon of water poured out! When I finally got them off (the adhesive was pretty tough) it appeared the sealing was not perfect along the textured surface of the molded in steps and allowed water intrusion. I'm glad they are gone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: