thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay's excellent post motivated me to measure and weigh our ditch bag. It is 12" high and 6" in diameter, weight: 6 1/2#. It will vary from time to time, and before we go on the Hontoon gathering I will go thru the content. I check all batteries and flares etc before each outing. It rides with me when we go out on the Caracal, as well as the usual safety gear aboard the boat.

I added retroflective silver tape on the sides of the ditch bag, and also on the collars of our inflatable PFD in the last year.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
T.R. Bauer.Boots are really hard to swim in by the way and if anyone doubts it, try it next to the lifeguard as you're probably going to need them.

My father was a good swimmer and wasn't happy with the limited swimming instruction we were getting in grade school. One "family night" at the public pool he asked the lifeguard if we could go in with our clothes on to see what it was like. Even in a heated pool in the shallow end it was an eye opener that I haven't forgotten. A baggy sweatshirt and change in your pocket become lethal.

He pulled off his pants, tied each leg closed, blew air into the pants with a leg on each side of him, and floated on it like it was a big pool noodle. A trick that he learned in the Navy. Only works in warm water and he called it the shark bait technique. I still remember that night and it always makes me think that falling off a boat is likely worse than falling off a roof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. So the Binkey in my ditch bag is not manly? Guess I need a more masculine saddle. My plan was to ride an Orca back to the dock but without my Binkey I guess I’ll just die. It’s not really a Binkey though, it’s a woobie. Maybe theres some leeway there.

I notice that everyone’s ditch bag looks about like what we carry in our vehicles year round, and on our backs when we leave the house on foot. Anywhere worth going (to me) requires these things. Everywhere else is just down time. The mousegun is a unique choice, and maybe a bit redundant for a fellow like me, but i like it as an option.

There is some truth to the emotional support. When you carry and use survival equipment regularly, you know it works. You know you work, and it works, and what your real capabilities are. If you dont use your knives and fire starters to make fire in snow and rain, your compass to
Navigate in the dark, or sleep outside in just the emergency gear you carry, or fire your emergency gun in the cold when you are tired and hungry, they all become just hopeful dice rolls. Theres no real morale boost if you’re fumbling around in the dark using untested equipment that is unfamiliar to you. You could cut yourself with a crappy knife, shoot yourself in the foot, Waste your fire starter, and go hypothermic trying to sleep huddled up against a tree with inadequate clothing. But when you test yourself and your tools... yeah I feel pretty emotionally supported with my kit on my back or under my seat. Woobie on. It’s Probably way more comfortable than walking around with your pants off beating your man-chest. I mean, of course, after the initial fun of that wears off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: