CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, different strokes for different folks you might say... I stand on the opposite side of the boat with a bow and stern line attached to the dinghy. Pulling from the opposite side seemed easier to pull, and not as much list on the boat. As the dinghy comes up, I take the slack out of the bow and stern lines, then use them to rotate the dinghy to the top. I also start out with the dinghy's pointy end towards the stern of the CC23. Downside is you wind up with quite a bit of lines to deal with - including the davit's pull line.

Chris

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, do you launch from the opposite side also? We have not found the heel to be excessive. It can be seen in the photos. I would guess no more than 10* heel or list. We feel we have better control over the dinghy if here is wind.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have been more nautical and said heel instead of list.... anyway, launching the dinghy I don't use the davit at all, I pull it towards the bow of the boat so it's more or less half off the roof. Then, rotate it and slide it down between the aft part of the bow rail and the cabin roof, letting the aft part of the bow rail take some of the load. The dinghy lands with it's rear pontoons on the water (space-shuttle launch style), then lower the bow of the dinghy onto the water. Always of course keeping a bow line on it.

Seems to work ... Smile

Chris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that your dinghy is a little shorter than ours. Not sure if that makes any difference, but age does. We used to wrestle all sorts of craft aboard.

I see your dinghy on the boat behind the truck (nice fiberglass camper shell!). One of my friends left his dinghy on the top and after one tow, the bottom was blown out of the dingy. I am not certain how it was secured. Scrapped the boat.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much action on the Cbrats today so ventured over to the other side(Tugnuts). Watched a video of their new tender lift on the R27. It is very simple and appears to work well with little effort and no lifting. Possible a frame could be fabricated to fit a Cdory and a gunwale mounted post with the winch and cam. You can check it out here - https://www.rangertugs.com/models/model-category/r-27/

Regards and happy new year,

Rob

tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat trick! Those folks at Ranger Tugs certainly know how to add allkinds of cool features.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP, Cool, and how long before that little process gets electrified. More complicated and more systems. OH, and it could probably be adapted to a C-Dory too, but that aft weight is going to add up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find kayaks the perfect dingy solution to keep things simple. We have two 9.5 foot recreational sit inside kayaks that live on a Yakima rack that attaches to the cabin top rails of our 25. They each weigh about 40 pounds. We keep a bow line attached to them and I can easily pull them forward while standing on the bow and while holding the bow line slide them off the bow rail and walk them to the stern. We board them off the swim platform while holding on to the cockpit side rail to step in and transfer to the sitting position.

Because we can launch and reload them in less then 10 minutes we use them much more often then anyone we have boated with that use
dinghies. We use them almost every day after we anchor for the night. I kayak fish almost everywhere we go and we like to explore shorelines and small creeks. We have seen some amazing wildlife and explored places that only a kayak can reach.

We also use them like others use conventional dinghies. When we cruised coastal Maine we found that due to the tides and rocky shoreline most of the towns and marinas had mooring areas and dingy docks. We have paddled in to do laundry or buy groceries and anything else people use dinghies for. We don’t have a dog to take to shore but I think it would work fine for smaller dogs.

On your Tom Cat with the radar and air conditioner you could use a conventional kayak rack between your cabin top rails with “J” cradles to hold the kayaks.

Bill
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bill - light inflatable kayaks are super nice.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a kayak you want and are concerned with lifting and storing on top - take a look at this - https://www.origamipaddler.com/pages/newhome?fbclid=IwAR2JfGznuWb2y7Gqmwqo0eLtHgK_RQsVMkS9rcE9H7rbYouJ3G6XRDQDkBo--

Can be used as a stand up paddle board or a sit in kayak. Folds into 3 sections - weight 45 pounds - easy to carry and store. Carry in trunk of car - or in cuddy while under way. Less weight up top and more in the bow.

Regards,

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: