hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby Laughing Laughing Laughing Totally. Now a remote park dock, or logging camp dock; Different story.

Tom, 30 amp fuse for your nav(y) Shocked lights seems a bit much. Especially if they are LED lights.

Wonder if there is something else in that circuit?

And, sometimes they are not only for after dark or anchoring use. (See pix below.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Here’s a pic of my SeaView Perko 1197 insert. There is a rivet in the body of the light, but below that is an insert with potted 5 foot tail and a hole in the light bar which aligns with a hole in the insert. Two plastic alignment plugs (‘rivets’) prevent the insert from twisting within the light bar, which would throw off the arc of anchor/steaming light to sideways or whatever. If they were pried out, I don’t think they could be re-used.

I dug up the instructions, and it looks like Seaview uses the Attwood 7800 LED light as an alternate to the Perko 1197. It has a 50,000, 10 year warranty and 2NM vis (now I remember that’s why I chose the 3NM Perko 1197). Seaview doesn’t offer a single all-around light option, although all agree that’s all that a C-Dory needs. I suspect C-Dory didn’t add them, owners or dealers did.

Tom,

Turn on your nav lights, pull that 30A fuse, and if the red/green lights go out you’ve got the correct switch and fuse. My white anchor light wire is gray and black as expected (yours likely gray and yellow), contained in a loom from the console, and ends up above the upper shelf where it’s barrel connector spliced to my Perko cable, which is gray and contains the LED + and neg wires.

The largest black cable is the Garmin marine network (ethernet like) which will plug into your MFD, don’t cut that. Another black cable is the radar 5-pin power supply which will dive down to a hopefully labelled fuse, don’t cut that either. My small red and black wires in the pic lead to the hailer/foghorn.

When you find the loomed gray and yellow wires above the windows where it enters the shelf space, and that connector, that’s the droids you’re looking for. Since in this use BOTH front and aft LED’s must light there may be two gray wires crimped together.

The SS bracket at the base of the light bar is secured by four 1 inch x5/16” bolts with a hex tool. The official rec’d of SeaView lawyers is to loosen and tighten the 4 whenever you fold the light bar over or back up. (I do that with the hook end of a boat pole from the catwalk; it’s much easier than climbing up there). Once the friction seems right, I have not tightened the bolts. Get a std SAE hex key set to adjust as needed.

To make you feel better, here’s this weeks 12v gremlin story:
The boat has been at the dry slip for 5 weeks, moving less than the average cadaver. Last month the stereo went dead. The fuse block only had 11.6V DC for that circuit. I moved the power leads to the fuse circuit for the shower sump pump, which we never use, and removed the shower sump connection. EUREKA, the stereo worked, except it only made shower noises (just kidding)...except the left speaker was dead. Last time this happened it was the speaker. I bought a pair (they only come in pairs) of replacements, hooked up the brand new left speaker...dead. I used the existing speaker wire, because re-threading through this massive mess is a nightmare, see pic.

I didn’t try the old presumably bad left speaker on the home stereo (which is of course a Yamaha) since I cut the wires too short. So I bought a replacement Fusion Stereo and hooked it up. Silence on the left in Zone 1. Well, maybe Zone 2 will work on the left and Zone 1 on the right. Nada. So I connected the remaining new speaker with it’s long wire to the new Fusion and EUREKA!! After a few hours of re-threading, all is well.

So what are the chances of a fuse circuit that has been mellow for 10 years abruptly going bad simply because it was NOT being jostled or chafed or bounced around? In my case, 100%. So what are the chances of a speaker wire simultaneously going bad simply because it was NOT being jostled or chafed or bounced around? In my case, 100%.

The Good News, the new speakers and new Fusion stereo plus my time at the mandated $15/hour costs me under a Boat Unit, and I have 2 old but good speakers and an old but good Fusion stereo for the Hontoon silent auction.

Colby,
You are so mean! I went to my room and cried for hours. But yeah, that’s not much flak for that particular transgression against the greater comity.

Happy New Year and one free of a plague of locusts!
John

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anchoring out in a TomCat instead of going to a nice marina is like driving your Mercedes SL550 to a Motel Six to “save money.” (Damn, I’m gonna take a lotta flak for THAT!).

I hate stopping at marinas. I avoid them like the plague. The last time I remember doing it was at Victoria, BC. It was rainy; and it was wet; and we were wet; and our clothes were wet. Spent a night at the dock to get that coveted 120v connection so we could run the 1200w electric heater and dry out. Going out to dinner was a nice change of pace; and the marina's showers were a wonderful treat too. Wink

My favorite is a small cove with nobody else in it.

tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at all of those wires (and they're under my headliner to add tot he challenge), I'm thinking about hanging a Coleman lantern from a book hook and calling it good.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my time at the mandated $15/hour

Oh my John. You're not worth much. Mr. Green I consider my time worth $100/hour! And I'm still too cheap to stay in a lot of marinas! Xmas LOL Xmas LOL

Happy New Year! (And may your time go up in worth!)

Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ancor double ratchet crimper is over 40 years old and thousands of crimps, still works perfectly.. It pays to get quality tools if you are going to use them frequently and for a long time. I do have a couple of the non ratchet and a second Chinese ratchet crimper, with several set of dies. They all have their function--but there is a an electrical pouch with about 100 assorted terminals & connectors, , selection of adhesive lined shrink wrap, all propane torch (refillable), strippers as above., set of 4 double ended alligator clamps on 18 to 36" wires, with the 20' wire and electrical ties, rolls of tape, 30 watt soldering iron, dielectric gel, etc that goes with me on the boat or RV. Another bag has a good clamp on multimeter (can measure DC and AC current) plus polarity and 110V live circuit tester. I also keep a Plano tackle box full of extra nuts, bolts washers, screws, fuses (assorted types), terminals, shackles, some extra LED's, etc on board.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: