The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vaccination
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: vaccination Reply with quote

my son and his wife are on the front line so he got the vaccination the other day. Daughter in law didn't get it because she's cooking up another grandchild. the kid said he had no ill affects, no third nipple growing or microwave transmissions in brain.

I hear that after the health care workers get vaccinated the next round goes to bar tenders, what the hell is the deal with that?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: vaccination Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
... I hear that after the health care workers get vaccinated the next round goes to bar tenders, what the hell is the deal with that?

So they can open the bars. Lots of liquor tax revenue there. Too bad they won't be able to let the customers in until they get vaccinated too.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know about opening bars, I think i just heard on the news that thirst responders were up next Smile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each state or even region seems to be different. In Pensacola, the US Navy hospital got vaccine the first week, as did the hospitals on the East Coast of FL. This week Moderna Vaccine has come to our 3 major hospitals, and across the bay in Gulf Breeze. the residents of an assisted living and rehab hospital, have gotten Pfizer Vaccine on Monday...No telling when us old codgers with co-morbidities will get the vaccine. Figure on wearing your masks for a while longer--like a year.

Filti is now making masks with their filter material. (Alone that seems to be N 85, and with the rest of the filter, should be close to an I have ordered 50 for about $100 including shipping. We will see how they fit. I may need to add a little foam around the edges to get a tight facial seal. The bandana type of mask or even the surgical mask is not as effective as one of the N 95 or similar fitting masks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Pt. care at UW hospital, get mine Saturday. I had to pick the 10PM slot as they were filling up very fast. (No safety concerns or conspiracy theories amongst the staff at UWMC). They hold us in clinic for 15 min. after administration to monitor for adverse vaccine reaction.

I'm really looking forward to this vaccine's widespread rollout and hopefully a late-Spring return to normalcy. Many things I've taken for granted I now am grateful for.

Of note: receiving the vaccine doesn't change a person's obligation to practice strict infection control, as the personal immunity imparted apparently does not prevent one form being an asymptomatic carrier. We still have a few "miles to go before we sleep".

Wishing all C-Brats a happy, healthy holiday season!!
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
i don't know about opening bars, I think i just heard on the news that thirst responders were up next Smile

Neat one, kind of like the guy that was arrested at the airport. In his carryon, he had a protractor, a compass, and a slide rule. They charged him with carrying weapons of math instruction.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State of Michigan plans to follow the CDC and ACIP (Advisory Committee on
Immunization Practices) recommendations for COVID-19 vaccination according
to the below schedule posted 23 Dec 2020.

Quote:
CDC and ACIP have defined populations for different vaccination phases.

Phase 1A includes paid and unpaid persons serving in health care settings
who have direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials and
are unable to work from home, as well as residents of long-term care facilities.

Phase 1B includes frontline essential workers and individuals 75 years of
age and older.

Phase 1C includes other essential workers, persons 65 to 74 years of age,
and individuals 16 to 64 years of age with underlying medical conditions.

Phase 2 is a mass vaccination campaign for all persons age 16 years or
older.

It will be very interesting to see how many and how big the "bumps in the road"
will be to accomplish herd immunity for our citizenry who seem so divided on
so many important issues.

Roll up your sleeves America.
Continue mitigation practices before and after vaccination.

Aye.

Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the above, it looks like we old fogies are getting preferential treatment and
put toward the front of the line for COVID-19 vaccination. Yea!

Here's why, from the CDC:

Quote:
Compared to younger adults, older adults are more likely
to require hospitalization if they get COVID-19

18 - 29 years is the Comparison Group

AGE GROUP, HOSPITALIZATION, DEATH

30 - 39 years, 2x higher, 4x higher

40 - 49 years, 3x higher, 10x higher

50 -64 years, 4x higher, 30x higher

65 -74 years, 5x higher, 90x higher

75 - 84 years, 8x higher, 220x higher

85+ years, 13x higher, 630x higher

The way I read it, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Aye.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Many things I've taken for granted I now am grateful for.

Ain't it the truth! I guess there is always a silver lining.

Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The research seems to show that one dose provides the primary response with very high efficacy at 4 weeks, and that the second dose only improves the overall immune response by a few percent. I agree that we should go one dose till everyone who wants it gets one dose, then we go to dose two.

Incidentally, the overall response seems to improve if the time between the doses increases. Historically, the interval of 5-6 months is ideal.

Finally, if you don't want the vaccine, it is fine with me. That simply means that more people who want it, get it. I am losing no sleep over their decision. I certainly object to this movement of suggesting that they have to take it to make this vaccine work. The reality is that if it works, the only ones going into the hospital will be those who declined, and that will be far fewer people than are going in today.

I got all this info on a BBC broadcast, and it sounds like England is going to adopt this policy.

Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuppers wrote:
SNIP

Finally, if you don't want the vaccine, it is fine with me. That simply means that more people who want it, get it. I am losing no sleep over their decision. I certainly object to this movement of suggesting that they have to take it to make this vaccine work. The reality is that if it works, the only ones going into the hospital will be those who declined, and that will be far fewer people than are going in today.

SNIP

Grandpa used to say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make'em drink."

Aye.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Scuppers wrote:
SNIP

SNIP

Grandpa used to say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make'em drink."

Aye.

Or, as my grad advisor joked, "You can lead someone to knowledge, but you can't make them think"!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"....The research seems to show that one dose provides the primary response with very high efficacy at 4 weeks, and that the second dose only improves the overall immune response by a few percent. I agree that we should go one dose till everyone who wants it gets one dose, then we go to dose two.

Incidentally, the overall response seems to improve if the time between the doses increases. Historically, the interval of 5-6 months is ideal...."

That does not correlate with the recommendations of the manufactures of either approved vaccine at this time. First dose, then 28 days to second dose. Delaying the second dose decreases the efficacy. That is what I am hearing from mfg and Fouci.

Also, the "herd immunity" will take affect when we get to about 80% of the population vaccinated. Less than that level of the population decreases the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Line up America, and roll up your sleeves. Do what is right for all.

Harvey
SleepyC

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuppers wrote:
The reality is that if it works, the only ones going into the hospital will be those who declined.....

Ah, if only that were the case; but unfortunately it is not.

The reality is that there are some folks who can't take the vaccine for various reasons (allergies, medical conditions, etc). So those who refuse to be vaccinated put those who can't be vaccinated at risk.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
"....

Also, the "herd immunity" will take affect when we get to about 80% of the population vaccinated. Less than that level of the population decreases the effectiveness of the vaccine. . . .

Harvey
SleepyC

Here's an interesting article on the herd immunity goal: Fauci on Herd Immunity
No one knows, of course, but some estimates are that as high as a 90% vaccination rate (or otherwise acquired immunity) may be necessary before herd immunity will cause the virus to dwindle on its own. That's a rate close to what's required for measles herd immunity.

As to the question of compliance: It's disheartening when a significant percentage of the population shows reluctance to get vaccinated. Disheartening, but not surprising, given what might charitably be called the mixed messages disseminated on the subject of the virus and the vaccine. I am generally opposed to having the government coerce people's behavior, having had some experience with an extreme form of that via the military draft in 1968. (Aside: In less than a year this virus has killed six times as many Americans as the Vietnam War did. It's just bad luck I guess, that quite a few of us here have been in the high risk group for both events. Open question: which event actually justifies which level of government coercion?) It's all well and good to say people ought to be free to make bad decisions about their own health, but that freedom carries a cost that all of us will pay.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: