The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Powell General Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell General Information Reply with quote

I don't claim to have all the knowledge for Lake Powell, but I have been there a few times over the years. With some more folks planning or thinking about going, I thought I'd start a new thread with current information from my most recent trips there. (Last summer, and a few summers ago.) This is some information I sent Tom on C-Otter and wanted to share it with all.

1. I've found the best map/chart by far is the Stan Jones Boating and Exploring Map and Guide to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Everything you want to know about Lake Powell and it's 96 Canyons. There are several other maps, but this one is great in that you can open it up and see the entire lake. It's the one I use while the other two stay in my folder of crap... Also, while you have to hunt around a little bit on it, there are descriptions of each and every canyon. With some good information.

https://maps4u.com/products/stan-jones-steve-wards-lake-powell-and-its-96-canyons-boating-and-exploring-map-and-guide-to-the-glen-canyon-national-recreation-area-paper-non-laminated

(They also have a laminated one for a little more cost.)
I've got a much older copy, but think I'll order the one in the link above just to have something newer and to compare it to my old one.

2. There are several books/guides out on Lake Powell. But here's a freebe that is cool if you are into geology. It also provides a little more information as you cruise down the lake.

http://www.lakepowell.org/documents/Lake%20Powell%20Geologic%20Guide.pdf

3. Lastly, at least as of last year, and who knows if this will change, along with the need for a National Parks Pass to enter Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, you also need to complete the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources certification program and purchase a Decontamination Certificate. Or as per Utah's Government site: Boaters who are not residents of Utah are required to take the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Aquatic Invasive Species Education Course as part of their “Mussel-Aware Boater Program.” You can find that here:

https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/boating/ais-education-course/

After you complete the course, you'll need to purchase a AIS Vessel Registration ($20). I suggest once you know you're dragging your boat out to Utah, you go online and do this stuff so you're good to go when you get there.

The lake levels, thus the geology, is constantly changing. Between Bull Frog Bay and Halls Crossing, I like Halls best. Doesn't seem to be as crowded and I think the ramp is a little better. This past summer I noticed they have then north ramp also open at Bullfrog, but I've never used it, so not sure if it's nice or not. The main ramp required backing the truck in to the bumper to launch a 22 several years ago. I had no problem launching my 25 this past summer at Halls. The main road into Halls, for the last several miles has some "heaves" in it. Follow the speed limit, you'll be fine. Stay in the main channels, or go slow and keep a lookout. If you go along the shore or out of the main channel, you may find rocks just under the water that even our C-Dory's won't clear.

Just a quick mention of Yellowstone, if anyone is thinking about detouring there as well. Since I've only had our boat there once, I can't say much. We used the west entrance, since we came in from that direction, and then used it leaving as we were visiting family on the NW side. Bay Bridge marina, I think that was the name of it, was a nice marina. The temps were a bit on the chilly side while we were there in September. Take your heater! There were some pretty areas on the Lake, and I enjoyed letting Bill (Mystery Girl) show us around some of them a bit. The park it self is beautiful with a lot to see taking your pickup around. But lots of traffic too. Much less traffic on the lake! But, watch out for fishing nets. Yeah, they have some Great Lakes fishing boats out there and they use the same kind of nets and buoys as they are trying to remove invasive species. (Those boats are actually from Lake Michigan! You'll recognize them.) You'll need to buy an invasive species sticker for Yellowstone as well. I forget what we paid, but we bought an annual one, is it was only twice the cost of a 7 day sticker, and we knew we'd be there at least two weeks. You can buy a nice park map at the park stores that will provide a nice lake layout as well. But the Garmin lake charts seem to cover it pretty well. At least the vision chip did.
Colby
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Colby.

I'll add Wayne Gustavesons Lake Powell forum as a great resource for all things Lake Powell. Wayne is the fisheries biologist for Powell and has been in that position for over 40 years.

When I was planning our trip this past spring I found that forum invaluable with folks willing to share the in and outs of the lake, especially for Powell virgins like myself.

www.wayneswords.net
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

I would get the laminated map, our paper map flew out the window and the worst part was finding a dump site. We got the boater's guide by michael r. kelsey and used it every day to pick out a camping spot. I also like the national geographic Glen Canyon map up on my wall for a nice overview of the lake. The main thing for us is getting the dumpsites, fresh water and ice locations nailed down before we leave. We had a blast at Flaming Gorge (a mini lake powell) we put in at cedar springs marina (nice ramp good parking) we camped out nearby at cedar springs CG, you can make a reservation. We got the fish-n-map co map online, it was great. We liked Jackson Lake at colter bay marina. They rent out end slips about $30 a night. Jackson lake is smaller and we liked it better than yellowstone. A great launch site and easy parking (see our pictures) Showers, laundry and a great store are within walking distance of the marina. Hope to see you on lake powell most of sept.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I forgot to mention. And this is primarily for those like me that live east of the Mississippi. Invasive Species inspections. Get use to them as you travel west. They are pretty serious about it. Yellowstone Lake will require an inspection before you launch, and again after you pull out. They will be fairly thorough before launching. Being from Wisconsin and boating in the Great Lakes, I know I'm a high risk boat. So when they ask where I'm from, I honestly tell them, "Wisconsin, you'll have to do a high risk inspection". However, if you arrive with a clean, dry boat and have already gone thru an inspection somewhere else, have your boat sealed and have the inspection record, it'll be a little easier. In all the inspections I've encountered, except for one by a Barney Fife like individual just outside of Cody, WY, the inspectors have been polite and professional. (Barney Fife was determined to find some mussels on my boat. He didn't...) And I've tried to make their job a little easier by having/knowing the information they are looking for. At Lake Powell, there is really no inspection before launching. However they do require one pulling out. At Halls the two times I was there last summer, they did not appear to have inspectors there except on the weekends. The do still have rules to follow on the honor system. Again I just suggest having your boat clean and dry when you arrive, and if you have any inspections along the way, have the boat sealed and keep the report. Lots of information available on the various state's websites where you can study up on what they require of boaters. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Kelsey's Boaters Guide to Lake Powell is also an essential. It does describe some of the good hikes as well as the anchorages, and canyons.

I have always launched from Wahweep--usually State Line. Gas up at cheapest place you can find, either Page (Walmart for shopping and even a stay in the parking lot), There is a shell station where in the back there are double pumps for boats so you can fill from both side. For fishing gear:Stix Liquor and Sporting Goods.

I made up a folder of fishing tips from Wayne's World, web site, and the one on:
Angling Secrets of Lake Powell, when and where to catch fish.

I always read at least one book on the history of Lake Powell and Glen Canyon. Start with the river runs of Baden Powell

Ghosts of Glen Canyon: History beneath Lake Powell, Glen Canyon Dammed.The Colorado River thru Glen Canyon before Lake Powell, Any anthology of John W. Powell's trips down the Colorado River. Any one of several books on Morman settlement and their trips thru Glen Canyon, "Hole in the Rock". There was one which title escapes me, but was of outlaws of this area of Utah and Arizona.
The geology of Glen Canyon. The first part is where the illustrations and charts of Colby's link is taken from, but there is more in detail later in the publication.
Even "Ghost stories of the old west".

We always find that reading as much information as possible about an area enhances the experience on the boat.

If you are a hiker, look up hiking trails from Lake Powell. Depending on the lake level there will be different trails...

We had the laminated map, and kept it on the dinette table. One boat had a glass cover and we put the map under the glass. Had a second map to also access the back pages.

Active Captain has a few of good anchorages I put on for Lake Powell.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: AIS inspections. This is becoming a thing east of the Mississippi too. Especially NY state. But they are also concerned about invasive plants (which seems to be the bigger problem right now) as well as animals species.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of AIS. Not the inspections but the electronics. For whatever reason(s), AIS transmitters will not work on Lake Powell. And I don't believe Yellowstone either...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experience with AIS signal loss.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, why do you say AIS will not work? I have seen a couple of AIS signals there. There is no technical reason that AIS should not work at either Powell or Yellowstone. (There are going to be the signal limitations by line of site, because of canyons.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving AIS electronics to a new thread. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: