View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Wallas stove run time Reply with quote

I purchased a CD-22 this fall and did not get to use it much (just once to be honest) before winter got here which happen really fast this year. I tried a few time to get the Wallas stove going but no luck on that, glow plug is working and can hear the pump ticking. could be old fuel stuck in burner, how complicated is it to take apart for cleaning?
Main question I would like to know before I spent to much time and money on this stove ( Aldo I really would like it to work) is how long should I expect a full tank to last for cabin heating? I’m in Alaska so it can get chilly any time, I would not have it going all night nor all day but will be nice to take the edge off in morning and evening, that will probably add up to 2-5 hrs per day depending on conditions. Not having experience with it before, I cannot answer on what setting I will be using so that will be nice to have feed back on this also.
Thanks a lot for all/any input you can give me.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First be sure that the stove is getting at least 12.6 volts at the stove itself. Even a little corrosion, bad connectors, or low battery will prevent starting. New fuel--maybe even Kleen Heat to start off. Get a bubble in the fuel line so you can trace it and see if the fuel is being pulled up. I have seen several times that the fitting at the fuel pump is not tight enough and leaking air.

In the PDF section there are schematics of the Wallas. You will have to do a search, or someone may have it handy.

The length of time--of course is it "all depends" but several days at full burner from a container--and keep a 2 gallon can of diesel or kerosene in the splash well or cockpit ready to fill up.

Have fans to move the air around in the boat. Also have 1/2" foam pieces to put in the windows to stop the heat loss from that large area of glass. You can put the foam behind the snap in place privacy curtains. That works well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I read somewhere in the documentation that the consumption rate is between .09 to .9 lph. that will mean somewhere between 10 to 110 hrs for the 10 L tank. Pretty wide range. was curious to know if that is accurate.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you go it, but I sent you a PM.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="T.R. Bauer"]Don't know if you go it, but I sent you a PM.[/quote]

No
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe,

Last month in the San Juans it was cold, rainy and in the week we used our Wallas we went through 2 gallons of diesel. We ran the Wallas all night on the low setting and used the high setting in the early morning for about 2 hours for cooking and heat. In the early evening we used the Wallas for about 2 hours for cooking and heat on a high setting before bedtime and then let it run all night for heat on low setting.

You can start the Wallas on a fully charged battery but we always start the outboard, turn on the Wallas and let the outboard run for several minutes while the Wallas goes through its start-up procedure. By doing this, it saves battery power because the Wallas will use a lot of power on the initial start-up and the alternator from the outboard will assist in this large current draw.

If you have air in the fuel line it may take 5 or more start-up attempts to get the Wallas to run and so keep trying but like Bob said you must have enough battery voltage to get it started in the first place otherwise it will not start.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the Wallas goes into a fault mode after so many unsuccessful attempts and all the lights blink and the only way to "reboot" it is to pull the fuse while it is on. I've had to do that a few times because it wouldn't get fuel from the tank - always at the start of the season. And you're right, it takes several attempts to get it going.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the model # of the Wallas, but for sure if it is in the 04 - 07 range you will want to start the Wallas on high, run it on that setting for about 15 min and then you can adjust it down for as long as you want, but before you turn it off, you want to run it back up on high for 15 min. I have done that with mine since I first got it and it has always started and run -- every time. Running the OB's during the start up cycle is a good idea too, also, I use Kleen Heet exclusively. I love my Wallas. Some people don't love theirs.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing turned out my fuel return line had a slight upward run causing the fuel to backup and basically flood it out. Needs to have downward angle all the way back to the bottle
Otter

C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Huckleberry
Photos: Blueberry
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often run my Wallas on low or medium low (with an accessory fan also running) when it's rainy and cool out. It's enough to keep the cabin a little cozier and the inside of the windows a little drier. That way, I use up 1/4 gallon per day.

In early May or late October, when it can be below freezing, I'm more likely to run the heater on medium high and may use nearly a gallon for a day plus overnight, roughly. Snapping on the canvas window covers provides a lot of insulation and will allow you to turn the stove down and conserve fuel overnight. I carry two of the 1.3 gallon fuel containers and learned that I can just switch the fuel pickup from one container to the other without interrupting the fuel supply or dripping.

I use straight diesel in mine, and I start an engine before starting the stove to ensure a strong power supply for the glow plug. I generally turn the stove up above medium for a few minutes before shutting it off to ensure a good fuel supply for the next start-up. When in doubt, call the helpful folks at Scan Marine in Seattle, but be sure to know what model number of stove you have when you call.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallas stove run time Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
I purchased a CD-22 this fall and did not get to use it much (just once to be honest) before winter got here which happen really fast this year. I tried a few time to get the Wallas stove going but no luck on that, glow plug is working and can hear the pump ticking. could be old fuel stuck in burner, how complicated is it to take apart for cleaning?
Main question I would like to know before I spent to much time and money on this stove ( Aldo I really would like it to work) is how long should I expect a full tank to last for cabin heating? I’m in Alaska so it can get chilly any time, I would not have it going all night nor all day but will be nice to take the edge off in morning and evening, that will probably add up to 2-5 hrs per day depending on conditions. Not having experience with it before, I cannot answer on what setting I will be using so that will be nice to have feed back on this also.
Thanks a lot for all/any input you can give me.

My Wallas on high will use 1 gal every 24 hrs run time. The Planar furnace uses about the same Thumbs Up Before I put in the Planar, the stove & blower ran 24 hrs lots of times. JetA at your favorite airport is far cheaper than pump #1 diesel & with "Kleen Heat" @ $12.00 a gallon I won't buy it any longer. Kerosene is useable also but not cheap. Thumbs Up
Battery consumption was 4-6 ah over night Thumbs Up
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just called Scan Marine to ask a few questions about my stove/heater. First I have to mention that they have great customer service. I was inquiring about my specific model (85D) so it might differ for other models. This model was designed to use diesel #2, it can burn most other diesel or kerosene but it is NOT recommended. One of the reasons he mentioned is the shelf life of kerosene is quite short compared to diesel and some have less/different standards for quality so might not burn as cleanly. Diesel will stay stable over seasonal storage so no need to drain and replace fuel not use in previous seasons.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Just called Scan Marine to ask a few questions about my stove/heater. First I have to mention that they have great customer service. I was inquiring about my specific model (85D) so it might differ for other models. This model was designed to use diesel #2, it can burn most other diesel or kerosene but it is NOT recommended. One of the reasons he mentioned is the shelf life of kerosene is quite short compared to diesel and some have less/different standards for quality so might not burn as cleanly. Diesel will stay stable over seasonal storage so no need to drain and replace fuel not use in previous seasons.

Just remember the paraffin drops out of #2 at 32 deg. F(gelling)
so be careful when you buy fuel at the pump as it gets colder they will mix #1 & #2 to keep from gelling. In the next couple weeks it will be all #1 at the pumps anyway Wink Thumbs Up
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the paraffin drops out of #2 at 32 deg. F(gelling)
so be careful when you buy fuel at the pump as it gets colder they will mix #1 & #2 to keep from gelling. In the next couple weeks it will be all #1 at the pumps anyway Wink Thumbs Up[/quote]

Thanks, good to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: