The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

the ultimate sewage pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: the ultimate sewage pump Reply with quote

So i've just removed my sewage ovbd pump...again. This is the third Jabsco 18590. Maybe i should try a new pump? something that lasts a bit longer. Recommendations?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use mine and just about every time I did it starts, makes racket for a while without pumping, then blows the 25a fuse. I discovered that if I shoot fresh water from a hose into the overboard outlet the pump will then work. If I remember to do that before using the pump it works fine.

During the ocean salmon season it gets used more frequently and is not a problem. It’s only when it sits a while after a use that it fouls up. If I do the rinse after a use it will work the first time months later. You might try the reverse rinse before spending the bucks on a new pump that will probably do the same thing.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced the macerator types with the diaphragm type sewage pump. Here are several brands: Dometic, SeaLand T series, Viking 510, Jabsco diaphragm sewage pump, and Gulper by Whale. The rotary macerator have always been problematical to me. They tend to corrode and eventually the vane pump sticks, then the pump overheats, gone....
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,

We had the Whale Gulper black water model with VacuFlush system for nine years on a Regal 2665 with no problems. Eight years out of warranty, the blue retaining ring broke and they sent us a new one for free. Customer Service reps had such great Irish accents that you will find yourself calling them to talk even when you don’t need anything.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/whale-gulper-toilet-waste-pump

As you know, like most normal folks I find the subject of boat sewage management to be absolutely fascinating. You would need to replace the different length hoses from tank to pump and pump to Y-Connector with the Whale. This would not be a bad thing, since many with more expertise than me about this s**t claim that even the very best hoses will get permeable (smells leak out) after ten years, so it’s time.

We have concluded, after experiences you should not ask about, that the most effective way of preventing boat sewage plumbing issues is to simply never put used toilet paper into it. Put it in a sandwich baggie, seal it and trash it. The Very Best Marine Expensive TP turns into paper mache like clogs. I should have taken pictures for my album!

Our current Jabsco 18590 was still pumping (over 3 miles out in the Gulf) on our last cruise in August, a record 3 years! And I have 2 spare Jabsco pumps (on sale) and a rebuild kit in the garage. I could change out to the Whale, except I enjoy complaining about the Jabsco 18590 so much. If it wasn’t so much fun arguing with AirHead fanatics, I might change over to one of those, as well.

Happy Sewage Management!

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer was to pull all that crap out and just put my porta potti in the head! I keep thinking I should craigslist the stuff, but if anyone is really interested, for the cost of shipping I have a working macerator pump, a y-valve that probably needs new seals, and the commode with the tank under it. (9 gals maybe?). Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the punny little 22, (no head with hot water and slate counter tops), I mostly use a bucket and bag, BUT if I had a head it would be an "Air Head". Of course, I would miss out on doing all that "plumbing fun". (Just fodder for John in case you are feeling needy Laughing

But each of us have our own deffinition of "Fun" Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
I rarely use mine and just about every time I did it starts, makes racket for a while without pumping, then blows the 25a fuse. I discovered that if I shoot fresh water from a hose into the overboard outlet the pump will then work. If I remember to do that before using the pump it works fine.

During the ocean salmon season it gets used more frequently and is not a problem. It’s only when it sits a while after a use that it fouls up. If I do the rinse after a use it will work the first time months later. You might try the reverse rinse before spending the bucks on a new pump that will probably do the same thing.

Same exact thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: