View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Another thought for C-Pelican Reply with quote

One thing you could do is buy the Yakima bars and kayak mounts separate and forget about their car towers. Make some wood or plastic towers of your own. A simple hole for the Yakima bar and an undercut round base to rest on top of your wooden handrails. You could put a hole through the tower halfway up and use a long stainless hose clamp to go from there down around your handrails and back around to form a loop and hold it all down. You'll need to clamp or pin the Yakima bar to the tower to keep if from rotating, too.

One of the previous posters mounted his flat wooden roof platform in a similar fashion.

It doesn't take a lot to hold a kayak. They're not awfully heavy and they're fairly aerodynamic. No great forces involved. Be careful to not tighten straps enough to damage the kayak when it softens up in hot weather. I've seen them damaged by lying on a flat dock in really hot sunshine. I'm talking about the plastic sit-on-tops here.

Jeff
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yakima roof rails attached to the raised portion of the cabin on my 19 angler.Previous owner used theyakima cross bars to carry crab pots or ice chest. I am in the process of putting 1 in. ss bars in place of the yakima bars whitch entails cutting 4 two in. pcs. of ss tube, cutting them lengthways on 1 side, spreading the tube open on my anvil then driveing them onto ss crossbars to fit the yakima towers. the plastic coated yakima bars are larger than 1in. ss tubes,& ss rod holders wont fit them. with me so far? Ok, theres more. I am also mounting radar dome on ss crossbars using removed rod holder clamps to attach a piece of old foam core rear seat from transom. I also picked up 2 more sets of towers to use yak.bars to carry kayak inverted over dome, or raised platform to carry pots or ice chest above dome when not in use. Vern , C-Dog
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my front rack I used a redwood 2x4 as the crossbar and homemade towers that attach to the SS handrails. I prefer the foam block kayak saddles to any of the thule/yakima rollers/saddles. They are cheap work for most boats and can be taped or strapped to the 2x4.

I like the 2x4 vs the thule or yakima crossbars because you can mount anything to it and make it as long/short as you want and low cost.

For the rear crossbar I installed a SS bar on my high radar arch with a pool noodle around it. The kayak just fits on this bar under the top of the arch.

I think any of the bars would be strong enough for placing your kayak on the outer ends. The only thing to watch is if it would be in the way if you want to walk down the side of your c-dory.

Steve
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a few pics of how I made my kayak rack. The homemade towers for the 2x4 are shown in the pics.

I used 1in anodized aluminium tubing from OSH cut with a tubing cutter. The clamps on my rail are from West Marine and I don't remember but I think you can buy them in a package but I may have got them from a boathook holder package.

The white material is polyethylene I think. I got it from TAP plastics and it is like cutting board material but not as soft. I drilled a 1in hole through 2 layers for the tube to fit in and it is pinned with a small bolt. The white plastic is bolted to the 2x4 on the top and to the clamps on the rail ends.

Hope this helps for any that want to do the same.

Steve
colin_arisman

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Kuiu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: attaching roof rack Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm intrigued by both the Thule and Yakima options. Also, see you guys are in Alaska. We are bringing our boat up to Sitka and trying to put a cargo box on the C-Dory for transporting skis.

Curious if the Thule 450 system puts all the load on the bars or if any is transferred to the roof? Do you know how much weight the bars can support?

Here is the Thule model I'm looking at - does that look right?

https://www.rackattack.com/factory-roof-mount-rack-systems/thule-450r-rapid-crossroad/
colin_arisman

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Kuiu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: roof rack question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm intrigued by both the Thule and Yakima options. Also, see you guys are in Alaska. We are bringing our boat up to Sitka and trying to put a cargo box on the C-Dory for transporting skis.

Curious if the Thule 450 system puts all the load on the bars or if any is transferred to the roof? Do you know how much weight the bars can support?

Here is the Thule model I'm looking at - does that look right?

https://www.rackattack.com/factory-roof-mount-rack-systems/thule-450r-rapid-crossroad/
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Yakima racks on our boat. They came with the boat and we routinely carry our two 13 food Seaward Kayaks with us. The kayaks alone are about 100 lbs and we probably load another 25 lbs of gear into each. There has never been a problem with this, whether we have been on the water, or road. We have carried our kayaks on the boats roof from the Yukon to Lake Powell and to Vancouver Island and home to Alberta. Either the Thule or Yakima racks should work well for you.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Post topic Reply with quote

We did it really well with roller bars in back. Think this gives you our pictures
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our roof rack, I used Thule load bars that I had sitting in my garage, attached with Scotty rod holder rail mounts. Pictures in our album here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3160&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We selected the Scotty mounts to avoid corrosion/dissimilar metal contact. They also allow load bars quick removal/install -- and provide 4 bases for other Scotty accessories (like rod holders).

We run 2 lightweight sea touring kayaks/paddles on the rack - less than 100 pounds. Excess weight on the C-Dory bars may be 1st visible in area where the bolts extend into the cabin, through the roof.
steffenebersbacher28

City/Region: East Hanover
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itiming wrote:
For our roof rack, I used Thule load bars that I had sitting in my garage, attached with Scotty rod holder rail mounts. Pictures in our album here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3160&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We selected the Scotty mounts to avoid corrosion/dissimilar metal contact. They also allow load bars quick removal/install -- and provide 4 bases for other Scotty accessories (like rod holders).

We run 2 lightweight sea touring kayaks/paddles on the rack - less than 100 pounds. Excess weight on the C-Dory bars may be 1st visible in area where the bolts extend into the cabin, through the roof.

It sounds like you've crafted a pretty efficient setup for your roof rack using available resources and smart choices regarding materials to prevent corrosion. Utilizing Scotty mounts for their versatility and ease of removal is a clever approach, especially when considering the need to adapt to various accessories.

Given your experience in managing weight distribution and preventing structural stress on your vehicle, do you have any recommendations for others who might be looking to set up a similar system on different types of vehicles? Also, are there specific types of materials or brands you would recommend for those concerned with environmental sustainability and minimizing their ecological footprint when choosing outdoor equipment like roof racks and kayak accessories?
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steffenebersbacher28 wrote:

It sounds like you've crafted a pretty efficient setup for your roof rack using available resources and smart choices regarding materials to prevent corrosion. Utilizing Scotty mounts for their versatility and ease of removal is a clever approach, especially when considering the need to adapt to various accessories.

Given your experience in managing weight distribution and preventing structural stress on your vehicle, do you have any recommendations for others who might be looking to set up a similar system on different types of vehicles? Also, are there specific types of materials or brands you would recommend for those concerned with environmental sustainability and minimizing their ecological footprint when choosing outdoor equipment like roof racks and kayak accessories?

Veering away from racks and answering your sustainability question; we decided to move from diesel to an EV tow vehicle. With a year's experience with an EV car; we decided it is time to make the move to an EV truck--a Rivian R1T-- to tow our C-Dory 22. The R1T towing range gets us where we boat -- the WI Lake Superior south shore and the MN north shore.

This is the best towing vehicle we have used--for local towing. Local, for us, means 150 miles. The truck's towing capacity is 11,000 lb; supported by 835 hp, 908 lb-ft torque. Here is the spec for our towing, so far:

Obsession 2008, 22 Cruiser, Twin Honda 40hp

[/img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album3157/C_Dory_ObsessionLacLaBelle.thumb.jpeg[img]
cedricwilsom1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post =(

Last edited by cedricwilsom1990 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
cedricwilsom1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steffenebersbacher28 wrote:
itiming wrote:

You've definitely taken a thoughtful approach to assembling your roof rack system! For those setting up on different vehicles, I recommend paying close attention to the vehicle manufacturer’s roof load specifications to ensure safety and optimal weight distribution. As for materials and brands, consider looking for those that use recycled materials and have a strong commitment to sustainability.

Do you have any particular vehicle types or accessory needs in mind that you’re planning for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: