View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Amazing Rescue Reply with quote

EPIRB saves life. Amazing video.
https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/11/19/shipwrecked-in-storm-retired-fisherman-gets-unexpected-rescue-in-southeast-alaska/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Amazing rescue. Hats off. the the men and women of the CG who do these rescues. Good IR footage, and shows how difficult it is to spot a man in the water, even with military grade gear. Top that with rescue in 12' seas! Chopper pilot, crew and rescue swimmer are all at the top of their game.

One take away is that having an EPRIB/PLB is definitely life saving--and it needs to be on the person--not stowed away somewhere, hoping it will float free.

Second is a light is almost essential for finding the victim. A strobe draws attention, but can be disorienting from an aircraft or surface vessel when close. A steady light is also necessary. We try and carry both. ARC makes a combination strobe and flashlight or individual strobes and flashlights made to go on an arm band.. They are relatively cheap, and waterproof.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive... I guess I'll back off on the Coast Guard jokes for a little while. Great commercial for EPIRBs... and survival suits.
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good lesson here.

I've still have an Adult size immersion suit for sale. I think I have sold the Medium size one to a C-Brat. $100 you pay the shipping

I also have an older EPIRB I'm not sure what to do with.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. What an impressive rescue. Hats off to those coasties and their skill, bravery, and determination. I once put my survival suit on right about where this rescue occurred. I was coming south out of Ernest Sound in increasingly bad conditions. I thought about seeking refuge in Union Bay, but I was not personally familiar with it and concluded it just looked too exposed. I opted to round the point and head for Meyers Chuck. It was one of two times I've been absolutely hammered in Clarence Strait. Timing the turn so I could surf into the narrow entrance to Meyers Chuck was enough excitement to last me a long time. I spent two days in the safety of Meyers watching frightening water out in Clarence Strait.

That was the first real test of my boat (and me, I guess) in bad conditions. It certainly gave me confidence in the boat! I did not have an EPIRB, but in addition to my survival suit, I had my ditch bag, PLB, VHF and flash light at the ready. I think it's probably a good thing, but it never occurred to me that the Coast Guard could possibly show up that quickly out there. Anyway, it ended well for me, and I was doubly sure after that to carry emergency and survival gear at all times.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Guardian" - still at work.

Aye.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re only occasionally crossing Lake Ontario, you can rent an EPIRB by the week from BoatUS:

http://www.boatus.org/epirb/rentals/

The vast majority of PLB’s and EPIRBs (esp ACR) have batteries that must be replaced every 5 years even if self-test sequence shows battery is good (battery exp label is on each unit). ACR does not sell EPIRB replacement batteries to the public, you must send in your unit to an ACR Authorized Battery Replacement Center. They don’t just replace it, also the seals, O-rings, function test, antenna test etc which is usually over $250 w shipping. And ACR will not replace a battery in a unit discontinued 10 years ago or over 12 years old.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/acr2844.91-acr-fbrs-2844-battery-replacement-service--glob.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=1100200315462&utm_content=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products

The good news is that if you ever set off your ACR device and get saved, they’ll replace your unit for free (I bet ACR would give this fellow another one even if his receipt is on the bottom with his boat).

Rather than replace the battery again on my old ACR, , I bought a new ACR GlobalFix V4 EPIRB in 2019 for $399 on sale with a 10 year battery (“Battery Expiry: 07/2029”). This could be cheaper in the long run. Check the battery exp date on the unit before buying to be sure.

Although you can find non-OEM batteries that claim to be the same on EBAY, I wouldn’t advise going there for life-saving equipment.

This fellow would be a goner had he chosen a PLB rather than EPIRB, because no PLB can self activate when it hits the water, it won’t float upright with the antenna pointing upward (many won’t float at all), and he didn’t have time for the 3-step process to activate a PLB. I can’t find the reference right now, but I have previously read that an EPIRB activation requires a COPAS-SARSAT SAR launch, but a PLB (or your Garmin Inreach satellite text unit) does not.

Happy shopping!
John

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The survivor's comments were interesting, hoping that they don't find the boat. That way, no clean up problems and "no maintenance." It does seem like a good time to end one's boating activities.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had two things necessary in that situation: The EPIRB went off, AND he had a survival suit. He was on the hatch cover for 2 hours, and not fully down into the water. Would never have survived without the suit and the ability to get out of the water. The lights helped in the SAR, but the IR camera would have been able to pick him out, without the light, just not as easily. Doesn't seem like 50 knot winds and 12 foot waves would be that unusual for those waters for November. What a way to "get free".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: