View previous topic :: View next topic  
louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Stolen radar head unit Reply with quote

Hello all, someone broke in and stole my radar head unit for my Si-Tex radar. The unit was kinda old I think Si-Tex Model: NKE-1066. Don't know what the hell someone is going to be able to do with just the head unit? Question is now what to do.

I didn't really every use the radar much, so not sure if I want to replace it. If I could find a cheap used replacement head unit then I might just do that but I haven't been able to find an old head unit, just the full head unit and radar. Does anyone know how standardized these wires/inputs are? I was wondering if I could buy a newer head unit and plug it in to my radome and get it to work? Not sure if it's worth it so I am considering just taking the whole damn thing off, maybe I could sell the radome for something. Plus it gets in the way of strapping kayaks and paddle boards on top.

Any thoughts... oh and is there any simple way to add images here, I can't seem to figure it out ever?
Thanks, Bill

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2916&id=IMG_7615&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That awful somebody stole it, and as far as I know its gotta be pretty much worthless on its own without the monitor. I hate tweakers.

If it was me, I wouldn't replace it. Dense fog with heavy marine traffic isn't something I've experienced yet in Florida. Not saying it doesn't happen, but not nearly as common as the rest of the country. I went ahead and stripped the GPS receiver off the roof of my 22 so we could strap paddleboards and kayaks down. For Florida that opens up an entire new world to be able to anchor the boat and continue on via SUP or kayak. One of the easiest and best modifications for how we use our boat.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen radar head unit Reply with quote

louxwe wrote:
Hello all, someone broke in and stole my radar head unit for my Si-Tex radar. The unit was kinda old I think Si-Tex Model: NKE-1066. Don't know what the hell someone is going to be able to do with just the head unit? Question is now what to do.

I didn't really every use the radar much, so not sure if I want to replace it. If I could find a cheap used replacement head unit then I might just do that but I haven't been able to find an old head unit, just the full head unit and radar. Does anyone know how standardized these wires/inputs are? I was wondering if I could buy a newer head unit and plug it in to my radome and get it to work? Not sure if it's worth it so I am considering just taking the whole damn thing off, maybe I could sell the radome for something. Plus it gets in the way of strapping kayaks and paddle boards on top.

Any thoughts... oh and is there any simple way to add images here, I can't seem to figure it out ever?
Thanks, Bill

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2916&id=IMG_7615&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

I have found outdated parts & complete take out units at the local commercial fishing electronics sales & repair stores. Worth a trip to google or yellow pages if they still exist?Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog does occur in our part of Florida (louxwe boats in the same waters as we do), but it is rare, night running and going to other areas which have fog, are the only reasons we have radar.

Georges Marine Electronics, or Southern Cross Ships Chandlery in Pensacola, would be where I would look. Your radar could even be at the latter, since it is a consignment shop...

Totally senseless for someone to steal an old Sitex Radar Dome, even though most are still working well. I assume you have tried E Bay and Craig's list.

Other wise sell your display--I am sure someone will buy it---you might even catch a thief if you use the local Craig's list!

So sorry some scum bag took the dome. Be sure and notify the local police and Sheriff.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids just got into boating, but their boat doesn't have radar. One of them saw a $600 unit that works with a tablet. It is not very fancy, but mostly radar is to avoid hitting or being hit by something in the fog. As I recall it doesn't have much in the way of adjustments. If anyone is interested I will track down links.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Thieves are not smart. Advertise the monitor unit for real cheap, and (might even offer to help with the instal) then keep an eye on the purchaser, might be a suspect in the "disappearance" in your headset unit.

OR, consider they did you a favor so you can now update with some payment help from your insurance. (As for me, I don't boat without radar, but then I don't have to figure routes around hurricaines.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
Kids just got into boating, but their boat doesn't have radar. One of them saw a $600 unit that works with a tablet. It is not very fancy, but mostly radar is to avoid hitting or being hit by something in the fog. As I recall it doesn't have much in the way of adjustments. If anyone is interested I will track down links.

There are a couple around that are wireless. Furuno makes one. Around $900. Only works with iThings though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCt3FT4BZLs
louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all if I was not clear, they did not steal the radome on top of the boat, I still have that. What they stole was the monitor/electronics. I was just curious if the radome provides a fairly standard radar input via the wires so that if I bought a new monitor/electronics I would be able to plug the radar in to a new unit and get it to work. But its a fairly old unit... no idea why someone would steal something like that it is basically totally useless.

I have checked around the local pawn/consignment shops but didn't see anything. Check on ebay and the like but only have seen complete units (radar and monitor). Previous poster is right, we really don't get much fog around here, it's usually just a bit sometimes early in the morning, but it almost always burns up or blows away. I could see using it for night, but I don't drive much at all during night and when I do it is usually in my very local area that I know very well. Esp. seeing how old it is I am leaning towards taking it off... I like the previous posters idea on kayak and paddle boarding. I agree with the low draft, it is perfect for getting to an area where you can camp/swim with the family and then I can kayak the shallows and docks fishing.

Plus I'm considering putting in some flexible solar panels on the top and can use the hole in roof from the radar to run the solar charging wire maybe.

Thanks, Bill

Also, is there a link on here about how to post pictures, I always have trouble getting it to work.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

louxwe wrote:

Also, is there a link on here about how to post pictures, I always have trouble getting it to work.

From the Nerd Shack:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=7355

Note: I think the internal link for "BBCode" in the Nerd Shack thread may be out of date. Try: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bbcodewebex/ for that add-on.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to will the old Sitex work with a new MFD?

The answer is no. The only small boat radar Sitex makes is a 4 KW unit with a LCD screen which sells for about $1300. The cheapest is the Furuno which is wireless and read on an I pad or similar divide at about $880.

Even if you found the same model display used, at this age it would be suspect, and I would advise against buying it. It is not just the "wires" but that the circuitry will be different.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the man difference is that the old units are analog and all the new ones ( last 10 years) are digital. even a new sitex would not work. This is the problem I have with my raymarine. I want to replace the old screen but would have to replace the dome too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: