The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

We are looking to add fishing rod holders and rack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: We are looking to add fishing rod holders and rack. Reply with quote

We have a 22 Cruiser I have a rack that holds 6 rods but is intended to bolt on the inside gunnels walls vertically. I was thinking of painting a 4x4 chunk of wood and bolting it to the roof so we could bolt the rod rack on there, Also add 2 or 4 rod holders around the gunnels, If anyone has some specfic rod holders or more suitable rod rack feel free to share I am looking for ideas.

Thanks Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have put rod holders on the cabin overhead on most of our C Dory's. We epoxy the wood to the cabin top (some are solid glass and some are cored). We use hot glue to hold the wood in place until the epoxy sets up. The fiberglass interior surface needs to be very clean, and have been roughed up with sand paper. We usually stager the butts and tips, to get more rods in a space. We screw the plastic holders to the wood. Also we have made wooden racks, which we epoxy to the overhead directly..
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 came with rods holders in the overhead of the main cabin. The PO just drilled through the roof and put bolts through. They are quite well sealed and firmly installed. I tried to get one out once, but quickly gave up. I use them for something else now.
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent a little while going through your pictures Bob Austin I did not run across the rod holders but will keep poking around. Looks like you have owned a few C-Dorys, which one did you do all the transom repairs on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transom repair was on the 2003 C Dory 25. There is a back story to that boat. It was listed for $60K. A potential buyer from WA had a survey done based on what the listing and photos showed. The surveyor found a hole in the cockpit floor. The boat had been left out in the New Jersy weather for 2 winters with no cover or shrink wrap. Someone had jumped from the gunnel to the floor and went thru. Also the seller was getting rid of the boat because his wife didn't like the "pounding"....He had driven the boat very hard, and there was some delimitation of the V berth platform.

The Washington buyer was PO and posted the survey with photos. The seller started to lower the price. He was down to 40K and I was considering offering 35K. He posted on a Thursday PM that he would sell the boat for 30K. I called immediately and arranged for a wire transfer for a deposit. I had to have a trailer built. In about 10 days I drove to N J to pickup the boat. In the mean time I had secured a promise from the factory to pay for the material to repair the boat, if I took care of the labor. We went thru the boat and fixed all of the issues. This was a C Dory which was kept on the West Coast--initially in Las Vegas, and then in Dana Point near where my son lives so he could use it. Eventually we got him his own 25 a few years later.

I don't know if I have photos of any of the rod racks I put in the boats.
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rod rack for sale that I removed from my 22' cruiser. It was mounted on the roof just forward of the cockpit and consists of a stainless steel arch and 6 stainless steel (or chromed brass -- not sure) vertical rod holders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: