The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need trailer for C-Dory 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with Owens and son or Sport Trail (also high recommended in THT, plus I owned one--ST is in Bay St. Louis< MS.) Is that they would have to custom build the C Dory trailer. Easy enough to do, but it means having the boat there for a few days, I suspect. It might be worth for Colby to inquire both of these...

I know my local trailer shop is over 2 weeks behind orders..I would not be surprised to find that ST and OS were also back ordered.

My Load Rite is as good as the OS or ST trailers. All trailers use the same basic components, it is how they are put together. The better trailers are going to cost more, because they are heavier duty and there is no cost cutting, as in some mass produced trailers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I'm just going to go for the Load Rite. There are at least 4 folks here that have them, whose opinions I trust, and that have been happy with the Load Rite. When it comes right down to it, the only thing that has held me back so far, is rather or not I can find something local (in Wisconsin) that I like. But I like everything I've seen about the Load Rite, and I've got the time to travel out of state to get one. I've gotten a few replies back from Wisconsin or Illinois dealers, but either I don't like the bunk set up on the trailer, or it's a big boat dealer than has a markup putting the trailers in the $10,000 range. I can get the Load Rite from either Enterprise, or Pirate, for $7000 with the options I want. That's about what I was hoping I could find one for. (Last new trailer I bought was around $6200, a custom made one for my Sea Ray Sundancer at the time, and was about 15 years ago. I was worried that maybe I was kidding myself thinking I'd find a trailer for under $7000.) The base LR trailer is about $5200. The EOH upgrade is approx $700, S/S hardware upgrade around $330 (for frame hardware, bunk tube fasteners & brake lines), and adding a spare tire, and spare tire carrier with spare hub/spindle assembly pushing it up around another $250 or so. Pirate would actually be just a tad closer in distance, however they close for the winter and wouldn't even get my trailer in until after March. The gal I've been working with at Enterprise has been very prompt in returning my emails and answering my questions. And she can set it up so I can either pick the trailer up from them in the Orlando area, or from one of the two factory lots in either PA or NC. And I know Load Rite has made many trailers for the C-Dory, so they should have the initial setup specs. Not saying I won't change my mind in the next day, but that's where I see it now. Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I think you are making the right choice. I ordered my LoadRite Elite in 2016 (GVWR 9940 lbs) and have put about 15k miles on it since with no problems other than tires, It came with 15" Karrier Load Stars D, an inferior quality tire in my opinion.
Tom (Avidmagnum) was a lot of help with the set up of the bunks and sent me detailed instructions & pictures. Thanks again Tom.
I had LoadRite add a second set of vertical guide poles forward of the axles, something to consider.
All lights are LED and have been problem free even after many dips in salt water.
My dealer was Marine WareHouse in wilmington NC, a very efficient and friendly
outfit with a good working relationship with LoadRite. It took about 5 weeks between order and delivery. You might want a quote from them. If you need a serial or model # let me know.
Best of luck, Alain
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alain. You were one of the four I mentioned above and Tom has already sent me the same measurement photos. I just started the order process thru Enterprise this morning. I’ll set it to pick the trailer up in PA. Their lead time was 10-12 weeks, but hoping with winter setting in and fewer orders that might shorten up. Their pricing was comparable to Pirate Marine. I wasn’t quite as impressed with them and they wouldn’t get my trailer until April or later and wouldn’t let me pick it up sooner at the factory. My total price with upgrades to stainless hardware and brake lines, along with the spare tire, carrier and spare hub/spindle is $6550. My only disappointment is that the EOH actuator is mounted on the tongue and they won’t raise it. They would however extend the tongue for $67 and I wasn’t interested. I don’t know why these builders can’t figure out a tongue mount isn’t high enuf for shallow ramps at places like Bullfrog Bay! Btw the model number I have been using is LR-AB26T8400102LTB2. That was the one Tom gave me and appears to be the right trailer.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the same Model #. Did they give you a choice of tires? You are right about the actuator being too low on the tongue, I submerged mine on the Wahweep ramp last month, my exhaust pipe was underwater as well.. No damage was done to the actuator itself I think (HydraStar) but I had to remove the breakaway battery and dry out the board.
Alain
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs say the tires are Kenda's. I did some quick research on them, and they sound ok. I'm tempted to change them out when I get the trailer with my Carlisles, as they are LR E, and the tires on the new trailer are LR D. However, with warranty policies, I probably best leave the tires it comes with on it. I will probably move the actuator higher on my own. Or perhaps give Load Rite a call directly and let them know that the tongue mount is not wise! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: