View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Low price diesel heater Reply with quote

lowcost kmart heater
Even if it only last 2 years its worth the price.

Defiant Wally

City/Region: Phila
State or Province: PA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting. Did you get it to try?
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied these a bit for a camper application. Complaints I've heard about these Russian & Chinese Espar knock offs are that they are quite noisy. Of course this is hearsay and not admissible in a court of law. Surprised
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i have a espar, which are falling in price, and a friend wants one. So I was looking for a web site to send to him to check out the espar and wallas and found this instead. You can get these on amazon so if its a pos you do have some protection. for the price I might have my friend get one to see if it works.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom there's all kinds of them up on Amazon just search diesel parking heaters. Thinking about carrying one as a spare to the Wallis for Alaska.

on edit Just saw you mentioned amazon

singlecross

City/Region: DownEast
State or Province: ME
Photos: Galavant
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be installing one of the Amazon Chinese diesel heaters in my 22 Cruiser next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be great. You will need a thru haul and a drain. they do not come with the kits. https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspacher-90-degree-exhaust-pipe-adapter-24mm/
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Low price diesel heater Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
lowcost kmart heater

I have installed 2 of these in friends boats. First one lasted 2 yrs & aprox 600 hrs. it was replaced last month, second one was installed 2 months ago they work as advertised are no more or less noisy than the Wabasto, Espar etc.. Thumbs Up
At the price they are a throw away if problems occur. Wink
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Low price diesel heater Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:
lowcost kmart heater

I have installed 2 of these in friends boats. First one lasted 2 yrs & aprox 600 hrs. it was replaced last month, second one was installed 2 months ago they work as advertised are no more or less noisy than the Wabasto, Espar etc.. Thumbs Up
At the price they are a throw away if problems occur. Wink

Just a reminder if you choose to use the "muffler" that may or may not come with the China heater WELD UP THE SEAM so NO EXHAUST LEAKS INTO CABIN!! Thumbs Up
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one in my new boat (replacing a Webasto). The old Webasto was worth enough in parts ($75) to almost cover my new heater ($99 and exactly like the one in the first post). When shopping, look closely at what is included. The muffler is generally worthless as it isn't for enclosed spaces. The air ducts are generally too short. I bought an additional "kit" that had a Y connector instead of the T connector and more 75mm air ducting. These little heaters need every bit of help you can give them.

One of the extras that came with mine was a remote. Useful for me as I can turn on the heat from the V berth without getting out of bed. Decadent. Also check the thermostat provided. Some are quite simple. Others (once you figure them out) have as many settings as a fancy home thermostat. Go to YouTube to find out how to program them. Trying to decipher the instruction booklet is wasted time.

Some other accessories that may or may not come with the kit: You will need to buy an exhaust through-hull fitting and buy or make a muffler (if you want it to be silent). Webasto/Planar, etc. have these on their websites or you can get them unbranded and cheaper on Ebay. I haven't seen a cheap exhaust muffler, so I fabricated both of mine. Another item is a silencer for the combustion air intake. It is a surprisingly loud whine and, unlike the exhaust, is generally inboard. My Webasto was originally plumbed to take in both combustion air and circulation air from outside. I eliminated that with no bad effects. Shorter runs gives better performance. I went from an 11Kw Webasto to an 8Kw "Warmtoo" brand heater with no loss in performance. In fact, I added a register in the head for more even heating of the boat.

I just added a "smart" ammeter that shows constant charge and discharge of the batteries, including available Amp Hours left. The little heater uses a glow plug to ignite (@ 9 amps for 30 seconds). On high, the fan draws 3 amps, on low (most of the time) it draws 1. When shut off, it heats up the glow plug again, shuts off the fuel, and increases the burner fan speed. This is supposed to burn out any accumulated carbon from the heater running at low speeds for hours, which tends to be the biggest complaint on "old school" diesel heaters. So far, so good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how these heater compare with the Wallas 1300. I have been using my Wallas Cooktop for a heater mostly, since I have had the boat and am considering a Wallas 1300 for heat now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I believe that the Wallas cooktop is a max of 6600 BTU, The Wallas 1300 is about 4200 BTU The ones like the Wabasco or these Chinese knock offs, give 8,000 BTU. Any of the heaters with blowers and hot air circulation will heat the boat far better than the stove top, because of better distribution of heat.

The Wallas 1300 will be considerably quieter than the Chinese units.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob. I figured it would be a better heat source - one machine, one purpose -- but didn't think about it being quieter.

Would they both be able to run off of the same fuel tank, same fuel?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would they both be able to run off of the same fuel tank, same fuel?

My experience is that the Espar type of heaters need a small fuel pump. They could burn kerosene, but generally are made for # 2 diesel. (#1 Diesel is basically kerosene) There are many instances of folks burning kerosene in the Espar and similar heaters, with no issues.

I would have separate fuel tanks. I would check the fuel levels independently, to be sure you don't run out at a critical time. It can be a bear in the middle of a cold night to re prime a Wallas stove... Having an external pump makes it much easier in an Espar or similar.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why folks get all upset about Chinese tires, but recommend Chinese heaters? Personally, I'd stick with the Webasto over the Chinese knockoffs. I realize the Webasto (actually made in Germany) cost quite a bit more. But you are putting a little box with hot fire inside your boat. I'd much rather go with a trusted and proven unit. They have been very reliable for me in both Midnight Flyer, and my newest unit I installed in C-Traveler. Just my two cents. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: