View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpage3

City/Region: Pendleton SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Eressëa
Photos: Eressëa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Matanzas River Reply with quote

Chances for a new sighting...

My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Florida with our Venture 23. I am planning to explore the Matanzas River area. Any experience in this area would be welcomed. If you are on this river it would be great to greet and meet.
We should be there @ Oct 26-27.

Greg

Z50

City/Region: Alachua
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Beach Donkey
Photos: Beach Donkey
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will be in the area on our 26 venture the 29-31. Starting at St Augustine heading south.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg and Z50!

That 50 miles or so of M river is basically the Florida east coast ICW between St Augustine (great city) and Flagler Beach. View it on Google Earth. Expensive, crowded, not the best beaches, not a grand adventure...but maybe you have other reasons for your goal like visiting family, enjoy getting waked, $$$$ marinas, etc.

Are you planning an out and back, or a 1 way? How much time do you have if you’re still a working stiff? (my condolences, if so). Kids and pets? Already seen all the rest of Florida twice?

Depending on the above, I’d advise considering an equivalent 50 mile adventure from Key West to Marathon out and back would be more exciting (and you could weave from the Gulf to Atlantic sides and marinas between islands for different views) including snorkelling and the evening shows at Mallory Square, the seaplane trip to Ft. Jefferson and Bahia Honda marina/state park. The water is amazing colors. Take the seaplane trip! We spotted 13 sea turtles on return. There are virtually no long sugar white sand beaches like here on the Panhandle.

Cheapest option is a launch at Cudjoe Key Garden Marina, rig storage 2 miles away cheapest I’ve found at $6/day for trailer. 20 water miles to Key West A&B Marina in the middle of it all, you could walk to Mallory Square. Advise at least one lunch or dinner at Conch Republic.

Although expensive for one night at $110, Stock Island Village marina offers two heated pools, a half price pool bar menu until 6pm, free courtesy van every hour including downtown, AC in showers and restrooms and a captains lounge. Hogfish Bar and Grill and Roostica seafood pizzas are great. This is a competitive alternative to A&B marina,which they also own, considering the free courtesy van.

City Marina at Garrison Bight Key West is $10 launch and $10/day for a dual axle trailer ($20 with truck).
2020 Waterway Guide Florida Keys is a good reference.

Burnt Store Marina has ramp and rig storage if you’d want to explore Charlotte Harbor northward 50 miles on the west coast of FL.

Launch near Astor Marine south on the St John’s river to Sanford for a slow easy black water ‘Old Florida’ adventure only 50 miles from the East coast.

To quote Bob Austin, “You can’t take it with you, and the kids will just squander it.” So take that into account, too.

We are planning a South Florida Loop from Cudjoe Garden marina up the Everglades and across the OK canal and lake and back down the FL ICW to Miami and Biscayne Bay and back to the Keys for 6 weeks starting mid Nov. So I’m not knocking the east coast of FL entirely, I just am suggesting some options for you guys that you otherwise might not have considered.

Hope this is helpful!

PM me with any questions or to talk.

Happy Planning!
John

gpage3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: St Augustine Reply with quote

Hello John & Z50

Z50,
It sounds like we may be in the same area but miss by a couple days. My wife Joy and I will try and launch from the Vilano Boat Ramp on Monday. No special itinerary or goal just lazy time, trying to pull up on the beach @ Mantanzas inlet, try some restaurants on San Sabastian River and stop at Mainland if there is a dock available. We don't fish, but don't mind eating what others catch!
We just wanted to check out St Augustine as a boating destination for our retirement travels. It is all new to us so it "trial and error" or "trial and error and error and error!" Our golden retriever will add that special wet dog "smell" to our couple days there. We will be doing all the normal "tourist" stuff. Just there for 2 days.

John,
Your suggestion is being printed and filed for future reference. Sounds like a fantastic suggestion. We are combining this boating trip with a visit to a breeder of Dobermans in North Florida, where we expect to get a male pup in a spring litter. We had to go to Florida so we threw a dart for a boat trip and it landed on St Augustine!. We will not be snorkeling in the Matanzas River!

Greg
Pendleton SC
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: St Johns River Reply with quote

My favorite in Florida is, and will always be, the St Johns River.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John says:
Quote:
To quote Bob Austin, “You can’t take it with you, and the kids will just squander it.” So take that into account, too.

Careful John, my son is a C Dory 25 owner--and he might find out!

I agree with Smittypadler--the middle to upper St. John's River (North End of Lake George to Lake Harney (and if you can find and get into the Econlockhatchee River it makes it even all that more special) is my favorite waterway in Fl. I suspect you will have a great time on the Mantanzas River, and environs. St. Augustine is certainly worth at least a day or two. Hopefully you will join us at Hontoon on the St. John's river--pre and post the gathering there are boats who have been on the river many times leading groups thru the mazes (or not)...

I also like the Keys--but they are entirely different...as are some the more remote rivers of Fl. Of course there is the St Mary's area of Georgia which also has some wonderful cruising. For 5 winters we stayed in the keys in our RV, with a boat slip for the 18' caracal right in back of the RV, --Great fishing, and you can squeeze into many of the marinas which are " full" but they can always find a boat with shoal draft and accommodation owners. Lots of areas to explore

Congratulations on a new pup. We have been going thru "puppy hood parents "for the last 5 months. It is demanding, but so worth while to have and train to your standards. Not only is a Debbie a good security alarm, but I would consider equate to your own "Swat team"!

We have been up and down both coasts's ICW as well as a number of trips on the Gulf Coast (including the entire Brownsville to Carabell (over a long number orfyears and differ types of boat. The c Dory (Cape Dory Venture) both are ideal for these areas. Please get an album (Da Nag and Ty'Boo are the administrators and at the top of the "our members list").

This is a great time of year, but hurricane season is not over until end of November....The days and evenings are starting to cool off and that makes much better cruising. You want to keep tidal range in mind, since this time of the year there are up to over 6 foot tides.

Also we always take a dinghy for our dog/dogs. It makes it so much easier than trying to back to a beach.

A rocket launch can be seen for many miles, so that is a possibility. Have a great time and enjoy the C Dory!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Z50

City/Region: Alachua
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Beach Donkey
Photos: Beach Donkey
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be launching at Villano as well. North a few miles on the right is a state park. Beach it and you can walk miles of trails. Matanzas is a great beach, watch out for the current it can get strong. The marina at marineland is great. Super nice people. Charged us little to nothing to stay there while we went to marineland. If you like to anchor out just south of there are a bunch of spoil island to get behind. We don't usually stay at marinas.
CPlay

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CPlay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Matanzas river - St Augustine Reply with quote

I have stayed at the St Augustine Municipal Marina twice. This is a very dog friendly marina. My definition of dog friendly is close / decent sized grass walking area and handy dog baggie/waste stations. The municipal marina is also convenient walking distance to downtown tourist area. If you are looking for a marina to overnight at, I would definitely recommend. Enjoy your trip.
gpage3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Excited Reply with quote

We are looking forward to driving out 1 week from tomorrow. The boat is at home on Lake Keowee in upstate SC. This is a Duke power lake and makes for very nice lake life. But the C Dory is definitely over qualified for such a tame body of water. I will try and add some photos to my album.
I am very glad to hear that we can pull up to a dock along our trip. If I am honest about it, my wife prefers the "walking", "dinning' and does not mind in the least appearing as a full blow tourist! I always want to go "native". (Never a pretty site.)
Let me go over and wrestle with the photo thing. Wonder if I can load a video?
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Hope you have a great trip!

Before loading a picture album, for an over 400 mile trailer trip, I’d suggest that your higher priority should be to ensure that your trailer tires (no matter how good the tread looks), are not over 4-5 years from the date of manufacture, not installation date. They all ‘age out’ before they wear out and lead a tough life. The mfg date is a DOT week/year stamp ie 1504 is the 15th week of 2004 and should be replaced regardless of tread wear, including the spare even if it never took on a load. Trailering at Interstate speeds on trailer tires that are over 4-5 years old (less for me) is like asking for trouble.

Avoiding a blowout on I-95 should be a high priority. That’s a different situation than towing 2 miles at 30 MPH to your local ramp.

Some Brats brag about towing their rigs on 10 year old Chinese trailer tires at 70 MPH with no issues ever, but not many.

Towing at 60 MPH is much safer than towing at 70 MPH. Fall in behind a slow big rig and stay there.

Should be a fun trip!

Yes, you can load a video, as long as it consists of one jpg. frame.

Best, stay safe and healthy!

John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, since you are going out looking for tires I will save you a bunch of the dance. The Goodyear Marathon (trailer tires) are made in the USA, and are very highly recommended on this site and others for a couple of reasons. ONE: Made in the USA, and TWO: they hold up to the trailer tire wear they are made for. Call your local dealer and see if he has them, and if not, can he order them? Ask for something with a newer than 3 month old MFG date stamp.

See, now wasn't that easy Wink

John is right, 60 MPH is a great towing speed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gpage3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my friend Harvey perhaps may have meant Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, rather than Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, which China no longer makes.

Your local trailer tire dealer will likely steer you to the higher quality trailer tire once you tell her that's what you want!

John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
I believe my friend Harvey perhaps may have meant Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, rather than Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, which China no longer makes.

Your local trailer tire dealer will likely steer you to the higher quality trailer tire once you tell her that's what you want!

John

John is so right again. My Bad, It is the Endurance that you want. I just put 5 of them on my trailer. In the PNW, Les Schwab can get them for you. Thanks for the correction John. Sure hope that wasn't too late.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 10,000-12,000 miles annually on my boat trailer. Rarely exceed 65mph. Check my tire pressures often. Keep the tires covered when sitting for more than a few days when home (but not when out on a trip somewhere.) How much are those Goodyears? These are my tires, and the only problems I have had are self induced by picking up a rare nail or one time running over broken glass.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GMTTNU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my two cents. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: